Rationale, towing with Mk3 Jetta TDI?

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
The Owner's manual for the 1998 Jetta TDI states: "For technical reasons it is not possible to tow a trailer."

Yet many folks have towed with the Mk3 Jetta TDI (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=438986). It seems that, given common sense, reasonable loads can be towed safely.

Seeing that VW lists weight limits for towing with 1998 Jettas powered by 2.0 and V6 engines, what is their likely rationale for claiming that "…technical reasons" prevent towing with a diesel Jetta?

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I used to tow all the time with my Mk3 Golf TDI (swap). I towed everything from utility trailers to my car dolly. Never had any issues, just drive smart and brake accordingly. Mind you I also had 11" front brakes.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The Owner's manual for the 1998 Jetta TDI states: "For technical reasons it is not possible to tow a trailer."

Yet many folks have towed with the Mk3 Jetta TDI (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=438986). It seems that, given common sense, reasonable loads can be towed safely.

Seeing that VW lists weight limits for towing with 1998 Jettas powered by 2.0 and V6 engines, what is their likely rationale for claiming that "…technical reasons" prevent towing with a diesel Jetta?
Who knows, but this conversation has come up before, no idea why VW chose to exclude the TDI.

Not an endorsement of going against VW and you do this at your own risk, but I wouldn't have a problem towing with my Mk3 (or B3V) TDI but I would do so very conservatively.

Steve

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
liability is your answer...

it's easy to say no....saying yes entails responsibility & obligation...

you will find this in all walks of life...