Meet Lisa, my '96 1.9 TDI

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
I though I did a lot of work to my B4! Didn't even scratch the surface when I see this. Great work!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI

She's coming home next week for final assembly. *excited* :D Hope to have her on the road by the summer.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You should be very proud, when you're done it'll be like getting a new car.

Congrats!

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Thanks! I think it'll be one of the nicest B4's in Europe :) I am very proud of it. This was my very first car ever, And I bought it from my parents. Has been in the family from new so has a high emotional value for me. Cost me as much as a new one to restore, but I hope to drive it 'till I leave this earth!

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Cannot tell with my ageing eyes, does it have 4-lug or 5-lug "plus" suspension?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
4-lug :) Thought about the 5-lug conversion but 1) hard to find the parts here. 2) the cost. 3) It drives good like it is.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Cannot tell with my ageing eyes, does it have 4-lug or 5-lug "plus" suspension?
Based on what I've seen in the parts catalog etc the 5x100 plus suspension on a tdi car was only with the AFN engine code. That appears to be the case with Mk3 cars in Europe too.

Steve

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
That's how a car should be done! Have a B4 waiting for the same restoration. Picked it up from Colorado with no rust. Great platform to start with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Trust me on this: the only way you can say that a car is no rust is if you completely trip it down. I found rust in places I thought were spotless. But it's worth it. The B4 is a great car :) Good luck with your restoration! Be prepared to spend serious $ though. I could've bought a new one with what I spent on this project.

Jzallan

TDI
2001 jetta TDI, 2002 jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI, 2004 Passat TDI
The advantage I have is that I've been in collision repair for 25+ years. I'll be doing the work myself. A very rewarding project ahead! Have 4 TDI cars I'll be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
She's home! Before leaving the garage we sprayed all cavities with Dinitrol. Should protect against corrosion. Now the assembly begins!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Getting there - quite the journey.

Did you get ahold of an external temperature sensor harness?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI

Question:
Red (+) goes to starter motor
Blue (-) goes to transmission casing
Yellow (alternator) goes to?
Forgot where the other end bolts to :/ Anyone who can tell me the location?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Yellow also goes to the starter motor. That's the supply to the battery.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
As a side note I think your front motor mount is wrongly positioned. IIRC the little 'fork' that's sitting off to the right at about 5 o'clock in the photo goes into a slot at the rear of the bracket. That way it keeps the mount from moving and maybe unscrewing the bolt.

It's coming along nicely!!

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
First time electric power applied in 3 years. New MFA works! :D Found only one snag. Passenger window won't go down with the driver side switch. Only up. Otherwise it looks ok :) Now to get the engine finished up and started..

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Check the wires in the flexible elbow in the door jamb. My pass side window did the same thing, and there was a broken wire there in the flex elbow.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Installed timing belt, water pump, AC pump, alternator, en servo pump this weekend. Another step closer to completion :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
No dude here I’m thinking. I’ve seen this thread before, but not having or ever had one of these cars I just ignored it. I saw the other thread and went looking and found this build thread. I must agree very sweet and impressive. How about some updated pics as to where you are now? Great job by the way.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No dude here I’m thinking. I’ve seen this thread before, but not having or ever had one of these cars I just ignored it. I saw the other thread and went looking and found this build thread. I must agree very sweet and impressive. How about some updated pics as to where you are now? Great job by the way.

I thought Lisa was the name of the car? "Meet Lisa, my '96 1.9 TDI" and not indicative that the user is female!