Ticking/Clicking noise after DIY Brake Job

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
So I changed my brakes like 2 weeks ago and I am hearing this ticking/clicking noise and it changes as I go faster but right when I apply the brakes it goes away and when I left off it starts again. Please help its annoying.

Also when I turn right and while accelerating i hear this thud thud thud like the rotor disc is bouncing off the calipers or something ( the rotor disc is pretty loose compared to my other 3, I have tightened the holder screw to the max but still wobbly ).

Thanks

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
front or back?

I wouldnt drive your car until you figure this out. How could the rotor be wobbly with the wheel attached? Assuming the front brakes, did you happen to loosen the middle axle nut for any reason?

Did you replace the rotors? The holder screw is nothing more than to hold the rotor there while you reassemble the caliper back on.

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
front or back?

I wouldnt drive your car until you figure this out. How could the rotor be wobbly with the wheel attached? Assuming the front brakes, did you happen to loosen the middle axle nut for any reason?

Did you replace the rotors? The holder screw is nothing more than to hold the rotor there while you reassemble the caliper back on.
Front driver side. I mean its not wobbly with the caliper on but without the caliper on it seems loose than the other ones. Only things I have touched are calipers, lug nuts, slider pins, brake sensor.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Front driver side. I mean its not wobbly with the caliper on but without the caliper on it seems loose than the other ones. Only things I have touched are calipers, lug nuts, slider pins, brake sensor.
Without the retaining screw the rotors are loose on the hub.
The other rotors may have some corrosion or the like on the hub side that is making them feel tighter than the DS rotor.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Sounds like my symptoms....sometimes it was there, sometimes not. Sounded like it was coming from one of the front wheels.

Turns out, I hadn't fully seated one of the parking brake cables back in its little cradle and it had popped out and would "click" and "tick" occasionally against the "spokes" of the rim.

It only took me ~2000km to figure that one out. I was quite proud. :rolleyes:

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
Did you properly torque the lug bolts?
No, but I that can't be the problem for the ticking or the thud thud thud while turning right.

I think the thud thud thud is a wheel bearing and the ticking is something with the brakes hitting something because it stops right when I brake and once I stop it comes back.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
The most harmless cause for the speed dependent tick tick would be that the heat shield on the front is rubbing; you can check this with no tools with the wheel on in about five seconds as long as you have alloy wheels with space for your hand.

Not sure what you mean about the rotor being loose? The set screw is just for convenience, it's not supposed to be keeping the rotor tight... That's the job of the wheel. You need to undo "tightening the set screw as much as possible" because you'll never get it out at the next brake job. Like another poster said, look for corrosion... The reason the rotor isn't fitted properly should be obvious.

Last edited:

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
pads can rattle on the pins... especially on the older models... you could stick your fingers in-between the spokes and rattle them.... Older models would drive you crazy on a rough road with the windows down.