Rear axle beam bushings

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Curious what they're made of.... poly, delrin, etc.

I used to run poly in everything, then an alignment shop showed me the slop that the recently installed poly had worked into itself, since it had little memory.

Since the rear beam pivot point is mainly a pivot, it may not do too badly there.

-Todd

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)
gonna place the order today. dont know when ill install them. I have a full set of bilsten HD coming and gonna order some new springs. will do all at once.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I recently had new factory bushings installed on Jezebel...

I've had 3 different mk3 cars and WOW, apparently they all needed their bushings done! Can't believe the difference.

I think the factory bushings correct toe as the axle moves? Not sure though.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
seems like they would be harsh.
Back in the day, Shine Racing swore up and down not to run their sealed bearing kit (to replace the rubber trailing arm bushings) on the street. They said it would be way too harsh. One of their customers decided to do so, and everyone was amazed how the car rode.... not harsh at all.

I can imagine the rubber is more compliant than the bearing, but being that it's a pivot point, I'm guessing your shocks, springs, and upper bushings are responsible for most of the ride quality.

-Todd

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think it will be that harsh. and my ride is already quite harsh. lol
I plan on making a set of roller bearing type later. need to get some dimensions.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Did you ever order these? Ive been looking at some LCA bushings lately and stumbled across these. They look like they would be a much easier install.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
i did order and received. never installed. then car that needed them replaced got written off. new jetta rear beam bushings are still in good shape so im gonna hold off for now. If the corrado takes the same part ill probably install in it.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The corrado uses the same bushes as the mk3's anyway, installed a few of them. Regarding poly, I've installed a few sets for people on mk4's as well as mates and so far they're not harsh at all. Can't really tell any different other than the rear axle isn't all sloppy over bumps any more.

TDIPWR33

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 TDI MK3
These bushing go somewhere in the rear of the suspension. I have 350,000km's on the car and never though about replacing these

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
Might be a good time to start thinking about it. Lol
my old jetta, I could go and push the rear quarter panel and make the whole car sway. If I had the right crosswind, the car would constantly fish around on the highway.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no its one piece. but has the metal insert.

Slips in with a nice threaded rod and some spacers, if it goes a bit skew just tap the side that needs to go in more till it straightens out then carry on.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And for getting the old ones out heat works wonders, just remembered that, use a decent blow torch around the out side to till the rubber starts to burn then they come out fairly easy by knocking a screwdriver up the sides to loosen them a bit.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Slips in with a nice threaded rod and some spacers, if it goes a bit skew just tap the side that needs to go in more till it straightens out then carry on.
As long as they go in easier than the stock ones. I have to do the one on the side of my porportioning valve here one of these days, and that just doesnt seem like its going to be a fun time. So these would be a sweet option if they go in nicer. :D