Glow Plugs Not Working

james15204

TDI
1999 jetta
i have a 1999 jetta tdi
it is getting hard to started now that it is starting to get cool out. i checked my glow plugs and they at not coming on. so i checked the fuse and the relay. they are good. so i put a new coolant sensor in but it still is hard to start. so i unplugged the coolant sensor. the glow plugs turned on for 20 sec. the car started right up. what do i do now

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I think the ambient air temp threshold is like 40 degrees f. Above that and the glow plugs do not cycle on. How are the basic maintenance items like timing, filters, etc., ? Have you checked your battery lately ? Might be getting just a tad bit weak.

james15204

TDI
1999 jetta
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
I think the ambient air temp threshold is like 40 degrees f. Above that and the glow plugs do not cycle on. How are the basic maintenance items like timing, filters, etc., ? Have you checked your battery lately ? Might be getting just a tad bit weak.
i cecked the battery it is reading 12.8 the funny thing is the car runs grate when it starts. i put a new filter on about 2 weeks ago

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Find someone who has a registered version of Vag-Com (look through the Vag-Com list at the top of the page) and check the basic timing... If it's retarded (due to a timing belt change), it'll be harder to start...

Yuri.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
It hasn't been that cool yet, even in PA. Hence the GPs won't come on.

I vote for retarded basic timing.