Mystery Warning Indicator Light

texyak

Sorry in advance if this sounds stupid, but I've got a question about a particular warning light on my '02 TDI Beetle's instrument dash. Unfortunately, when I bought it last year it was used and w/o an owner's manual. I haven't gotten around to buying a manual yet (partly due to cost, partly laziness).

Here's my question....

Yesterday, while driving around in typical 95 degree Texas heat, a warning light started flashing and continued to flash for about 10 minutes straight. The light is located to the upper left of the 20 RPM in the upper lefthand corner of the instrument dash. The light looks like a curlyque or a pubic hair on its side. After it flashed for about 10 minutes, it stopped and hasn't flashed since.

I have been having some problems getting out of park (probably a faulty brake sensor) so it's unknown if these are connected in some way.

Any advice or clarification you can offer would be most appreciated!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
That sounds like the Glow Plug light.. It will flash if the brake pedal switch fails so it might have a lot to do with your problem getting it out of park..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
if yours isn't covered in the recall, it's still a fairly cheap fix.. I think the switch for mine was $15 from the dealer, took me 10 minutes to change it.

texyak

Awesome! Sounds like that's the problem since I've been having more trouble getting the bug out of park lately.

Seems I saw a simple bypass you can do if you're stuck in park and can't get out...something involving turning the key just a little, etc. Anyone know how to get around being stuck in park?

texyak

....and where can I find the instructions on this site re how to replace the switch myself in case the dealer doesn't?

texyak

WORD UP!

Thanks for all ya'll's help!

Now I've got about another 3 months before something else goes wrong.

texyak

Gracias on the compliment!

Went to the dealer and got the part for $10 and some change. Took 30 minutes to replace using the instructions from the HOW TO section. Dealer handed me a piece of paper with instructions that were crap compared to what I found here. Piece of cake.

I have to say this is one of the most informative and helpful forums out there and I'm recommending it to everyone I know with a TDI.

Thanks to all for your help.

Now, anyone got a lead on a cheap skidplate for an '02 Beetle? Dealer wants $240 for a plastic one and the metal version is $275 on dieselgeek. Whatever leads you can send are most appreciated.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
[/quote] Now, anyone got a lead on a cheap skidplate for an '02 Beetle? Dealer wants $240 for a plastic one and the metal version is $275 on dieselgeek. Whatever leads you can send are most appreciated.[/quote]

Plastic ones turn up in the classifieds here from time to time. You might try looking back at old posts and asking if anyone who posted still has one.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i would go with the dieselgeek panzer plate. i've got two of them and they're very sturdy. very easy to take on/off, and the install is pretty easy as well. the plastic pan is useless....