2000 Jetta mk4 lift

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
I know there are a lot of threads talking about coils with konies and metalneard, to lift up our mk4s. But I was recently told about using 2013 Jeep Sahara front coils in stock struts and 99 jeep tj coils in rear with stock shocks. But was also told just use Jeep yj coils all around. To get 2 inch lift.
Here is my reason for wanting to lift. I have no idea what coils I have. I know the car sits on a slight forward angle. It's bouncy as hell and when I put on my tent trailer that is 1600 pounds the rear end has less then an inch of suspension left. I'm also running 225/65 r17 tires.
I'm cheap as well so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
But I hear alot of complaints about the beef on a budget. Like that the coils are really bad and pretty much every loop just touches each other so it's an umberably stiff ride.
Jeep coils I would assume would give you a nice stiff ride and allow for good towing and would be about 400$ cad
Just the rear with wagon towing coils and shocks 300$ cad.
Polyurethane rear spacers 160$ cad
Metal spacers 300$( but I won't get the metalneard ones. Too much hoopa to jump through)
Thanks for your help if any one can help me.

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Are you sure he said YJ? YJs don't have coil springs, they have leaf springs.

Maybe have a look at the "beef on a budget" thread?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Essentially the entire lift on a budget thread, only difference is that some use plumbing parts to achieve to 2 inch lift up front, instead of the metalnerd parts:

Bilstein TC sports shocks/ struts(or the $$ HDs)
Vr6 jetta moog springs front and vr6 wagon rears.
Replace all the normal wear parts.
Metalnerd 2" lift pucks.
205-75-15 General Grabber AT2

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I mean, you basically said it all.
I BELIEVE that is the cheapest, most comfortable, reliable route to go. Tried and true. ' I ' am not sure it would be worth looking for a cheaper route...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
TC's with home made spacer and auto trans springs, moog wagon shocks with home made spacers and shock mounts. About $260 (with help from friends with benchtop spring compressor and lathe)

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
Are you sure he said YJ? YJs don't have coil springs, they have leaf springs.
Maybe have a look at the "beef on a budget" thread?

Hi know absolutely nothing about Jeeps the Sahara for the fronts and the tj for the rears I can believe. Since the persone who told me has his own dismantling shop for vw parts. So he should know his stuff. The yj part that was just something I saw on the net. As I'm trying to do my research.

The beef on a budget though I read some people say the coils are crap and that they make your car sit higher but the coil it self has little to no suspension movement as the coils end up being compressed too much???

Last edited:
TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
I mean, you basically said it all.
I BELIEVE that is the cheapest, most comfortable, reliable route to go. Tried and true. ' I ' am not sure it would be worth looking for a cheaper route...

When you say " you basically said it all." You mean the options I said. Or. What ItAintRodKnock. Said?

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
TC's with home made spacer and auto trans springs, moog wagon shocks with home made spacers and shock mounts. About $260 (with help from friends with benchtop spring compressor and lathe)

Do you have any experience with the Moog springs?
The spacers are they that great, compared to longer springs? There's a shop in bc that custom makes a set of 4 that give you the extra 2 inch. But it's like 500$ cad just for the springs.

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
Also I just saw on eBay there are kits being sold called vw high Life. Seems expensive compared to shopping around for the parts they mention separately.

But has any one used the Jeep coil route?

And thanks every one for posting. Im just hungry for knowledge and not many people want to jack up their Jettas. Usually the other way around.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
170k west coast miles. Tire shop said the struts were "not leaking but are just old and needed replacing." They missed the obvious sagging front springs.

I pulled together all the new bits and pieces collected from various vendors this past year and installed them. My son was in town adding several tons of able assistance.

Blistein TG front and rear
VR6 auto Supplex front springs
Strut mounts, bump stops, dust boots, spring perches
TT control arm bushings

We gained 50mm front clearance and are very happy with the result.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Hi know absolutely nothing about Jeeps the Sahara for the fronts and the tj for the rears I can believe. Since the persone who told me has his own dismantling shop for vw parts. So he should know his stuff. The yj part that was just something I saw on the net. As I'm trying to do my research.
Ok, quickie summary on the Jeeps (just a very small sampling):

CJ: 1942-1986, looks like but is not a Wrangler. Leaf springs only, round headlights.
DJ: (don't know years): the "mail jeeps". based on CJ, all leaf springs
YJ: 1987-1995, first called "Wrangler". Square headlights, leaf springs
TJ: 1997-2006 Wrangler (there was no 1996 Wrangler, the factory was retooling). All coil springs
JK: 2007-2017 Wrangler. All coils.
JL: 2018 and up Wrangler. All coils.

"Sahara" is just a trim package - all the flavors of Wrangler (YJ, TJ, JK, etc.) can have it. On the CJs, there were things like the "Golden Eagle". Simply stickers and decals.

There's a whole host of other Jeep models, but even going this far is way of the beam for the discussion, methinks.

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
Thanks for that info on Jeeps Rob Mayercik

But this whole suspension thing seems like more of a head ACH then anything. So I've opted to get my vw mechanic to put in4 spacers for the front(2 per side) new mount bearing kits x 2. For a little lift to the front.For the rear 2 x lower spring packing and 2 x upper packing. 09 Jetta wagon springs for the rear. 14 3/4 inch with 12 mm coil width. To raise the rear and increase stiffness. Chnange the rear shocks to the euro hd towing ones. I think they are an extra inch long? Or get extenders or weld the mount higher?

upgrade the front to a sport spring(1:8t) or Wolfsburg edition is also an option but he doesn't have those.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Do you have any experience with the Moog springs?
The spacers are they that great, compared to longer springs? There's a shop in bc that custom makes a set of 4 that give you the extra 2 inch. But it's like 500$ cad just for the springs.
I did Moog wagon springs in the rear, haven't had them long enough to know how they last. I used mk4 auto trans springs in the front, close to the same spring rate as vr6 springs. Google mk4 spring rates and I believe you will find a chart.
Two inch front spacers and wagon springs gave me a raked front, not so much I couldn't live with it, but I wanted to haul my quad, etc. around. So I gave the stamped stainless steel sacrificial spring seats to a friend and had him spin up some 1 1/4 spacers that the seats fit top and bottom. They were also threaded with a 1/2" thick aluminum washer that clamps them to the axle beam so they can't come out. I then extended my shock mount at the axle beam to restore shock travel.
If I were to do it again, I would do the rears the same, but the front I would extend the mount at the body somehow, thus allowing full travel of the strut. Not to mention it's not easy putting 2" spacers on then compressing that spring.

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
Ok so with all the head achs I got into about this whole suspension replacement. This is what I ended up going with.

Vr6 front struts
Vr6 front coils/springs
Regular strut mounts and bearing
Front spacer

Rear euro wagon hd towing spring/coils
Botom packing
Rear euro wagon hd shocks
New top mounts

And get any hardware I need once the job is being done.

Latter on if desired the metal nerd or equivalent 2 inch spacers can also be added.

All parts ordered through dasautoparts in Cambridge ontario Canada for a very very reasonable price.