Dreaded Monsoon Safe Mode

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
So not just a TDI issue obviously, but I bought a B5 gasser with a bad aftermarket unit in it. Had a wrecked gasser with a Monsoon in it but no code found with it. Installed Monsoon in the car that previously had the aftermarket unit and stuck in Safe Mode... No option to enter the code. Just Safe Mode. Nothing else. Left it powered on for 2-3 hours....still Safe Mode no option for entering code. Unplugged it for a while...Safe Mode still. Just a bad head unit? or am I missing something here?? Thanks all for years of good help.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Even if you start pressing buttons (as if you were trying to enter a code) it still says SAFE?

I forget since I rarely have to do this if it will still read SAFE while you are entering the code or not.

Either way, the radio number and the car's VIN and the dealer can give you the code. Have your owner's manual ready, so you can show them the bold print in which it clearly states this will be given free of charge.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
VIN of the car the radio came from or the one that it was installed into?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VIN the radio is going in to. At least that is all I have ever given them. Never been an issue, I've put used radios in all kinds of VAG products over the years.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
Even if you start pressing buttons (as if you were trying to enter a code) it still says SAFE?
I forget since I rarely have to do this if it will still read SAFE while you are entering the code or not.
Either way, the radio number and the car's VIN and the dealer can give you the code. Have your owner's manual ready, so you can show them the bold print in which it clearly states this will be given free of charge.
So when you power up a radio that is in safe mode....it will display SAFE for 3 seconds and then display 1000. As if waiting for code entry. You then enter the code and hold the SEEK button up until it accepts the code. That's how I understand it.

My radio just stays on SAFE. It never displays the 1000. Even if I attempt to enter the code. It does nothing. Nada. Yes. I got the code from the dealer, but it just won't take it because it never shows the "1000" after power up. :mad:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
So when you power up a radio that is in safe mode....it will display SAFE for 3 seconds and then display 1000. As if waiting for code entry. You then enter the code and hold the SEEK button up until it accepts the code. That's how I understand it.

My radio just stays on SAFE. It never displays the 1000. Even if I attempt to enter the code. It does nothing. Nada. Yes. I got the code from the dealer, but it just won't take it because it never shows the "1000" after power up. :mad:
Sounds like you have a paper weight there.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
Sounds like you have a paper weight there.
Yep. It was a paper weight. I picked one out a junkyard W8 that I found, got the code and it fired right up with "1000" and accepted the code

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
to Oilhammer: I have my owner's manual and cannot FIND the bold print you mention. I'm looking in booklet 3.4...it only says in BOLD: "If you loose the card (code) contact your authorized Volkswagen dealer."

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
I know it's been a while on this but I just recalled I had a weird pradio problem on the 2000 Jetta but ran the radio diagnostic with VAGCOM and suddenly the radio started working again.
Doesn't make sense to me...but maybe that's something to try, at least you might get the SAFE and then the 1000.
Hey, It's broke anyhow you aren't going to hurt anything with this.