What did you do to your car today?

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Filled my car with recycle stuff, and noticed I'm well on my way to 400kms for a quarter tank! Then in my parking lot, I spotted this front plate...lol Not a TDI, but amusing nonetheless. :D

-M.:D

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Since last fall I've had a slight stumble in the idle during warmup, additionally symptoms have included harder starts as of late. Timing is on, GP's fire, and the tune is solid as this is relatively new. Decided to bite the bullet and replace the tandem pump. Fired up and idled smoothly up to temp for the first time in a while. I'm hoping I had a failing pump on hand and this will fix it! Worse case scenario... at least I got a new shiny part under the hood :D

(man my phone sucks taking photos in low light!)

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Pierre, that LCA is 'custom'. Said so in the CL ad

looks like a 3yr old with an IQ of 60 'reinforced' it..unbelievable that he would waste your time like that..

Holy dogsh$$ welds!! Who lets that out of their shop!?!

-M.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Battery light came on last night on the way out of the parking lot at work. Flipped my scangauge over to voltage and it was 11.7v. Drove it on a couple errands and then home - was at 11.3v when I got home. Put the battery charger on it overnight.

Fired it up this morning to go to work, no light and 13.9-14.0v. Made it ~2 miles and the light came back on and voltage dropped down to 12.2 Light went off (voltage went up) and back on (voltage went back down) a few times. Could hear a little clicky rattle when the voltage was low and it quieted down and the engine had more load on it when the voltage went back up.

Time for a new pulley - this one lasted me ~160k miles and it's a known wear item so, no big deal. I ordered one and the tools for it 2.5 years ago from IDParts when I did my 100k mile timing belt anticipating this day would come.

Remove all the stuff to get the alternator out, remove the alternator, remove the pulley, go to my box of misc parts for the new pulley....not there. Check another location - nope. Double check - Hmmmm. Call the shop where I did my timing belt - Yep, it's there :) 250 miles away :(

So, I guess I get to go to the dealer in the morning and buy a new $60 pulley for ~$100. Sucks when I already own the part.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Fitted another power steering pump and this one works thankfully, pleased as I can be over it.:rolleyes:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Swapped out the centre console and p-brake lever in the '01 with one from an '08 City Golf so that we have a cupholder in the down there.

Also wired up the outside air temp. sensor to the MFA cluster, and while mucking around in there, popped out the stock headlights and put in the Helix projectors (with fogs) and wired up HIDs to both the fogs and the projectors. Then decided to wire up the fogs to be DRLs. (Why not? Got the HID kit for $35, which is barely more than H3s cost from 'nadian Tire.)

Speaking of which, I'm using a switched +12V from the headlight switch harness to drive the relay for the fogs; I don't like that it switches on, though, when I first turn the key (lights fire up, then I turn the key, they go out while the starter engages, then the lights fire up again once the engine is going).
Is there a +12V source I could use that only lights up once the engine starts?

Last edited:

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Use your parking brake and they should only turn on when you release the brake after the engine starts.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
That was my idea, too. I tried tapping that wire (there was a black and a brown - I picked black, as brown is VW ground, right?), but it wouldn't trip the relay.
Do we know for sure that the switch at the parking break sends a +12V when you release the parking brake?

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Changed Outer CV boot on a 2005 Golf, took me about 1 hr total, i was surprised that CV boot is not made of out soft rubber rather than relatively Hard Plastic

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Picked up a vintage rotating drill index, made in Portland!
Then ordered brand new MADE IN USA quality drill bits to fill it. About $200 and worth it!

1/16" to 1/2" x 64ths fractional and No-1 to No-60 wire gauge bits.

timirving

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS; 2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Picked up a vintage rotating drill index, made in Portland!
Then ordered brand new MADE IN USA quality drill bits to fill it. About $200 and worth it!

1/16" to 1/2" x 64ths fractional and No-1 to No-60 wire gauge bits.
Nice! What kind of projects have you dreamed-up to justify getting them? ;)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Nice! What kind of projects have you dreamed-up to justify getting them? ;)
Two things to justify it. I'm tired of using crappy disposable bits, and the way cool drill index kinda fell into my lap, so I had to adopt it and fill-er-up. I also purchased a Drill Dr. so I can keep em in good shape.

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Started it after it was sat for over 2 months in the garage whilst I was on holiday.

Whilst I had disconnected the -ve terminal of the battery, wasn't too sure it'd fire up (original battery, 8+ years old). Reconnected the battery, turned the key and it started as if it was just left overnight :D

Ash :)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Got rid of the squeak in my RSB. Got a these fancy washers from a friend... put them in along w/ some lithium grease and torque the $hit out of the rear sway bar to 100 lbs-ft. Squeak is gone for now.. let's see how long this holds out..

Last edited:

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
It's been a while since I last checked in. My new job has kept me busy enough that I have time to work on my car or time to spend on tdiclub, but not both. If it wasn't for the thread summary emails I think I might forget about this place entirely. Since I last checked in I have:

* Replaced the lights with OEM HID replicas
* Wired up the city lights to the DRL circuit
* Replaced the engine cover
* Replaced the windshield cowl
* Swapped the Euro tails for GLI tails
* Black front and rear VW emblems
* Black door handles
* Replaced the RC1 with a stage 2 from our own vwmikel

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Just had to share a few...

The day finally came!! It was a blast, my wife looked amazing, and we had such a great time!! It went by too fast.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
The day finally came!! It was a blast, my wife looked amazing, and we had such a great time!! It went by too fast.

Congrads!! Beautiful bride ... Groom looks a little lost :D

Wish you both all the best

Today MAXRPM and I drove our TDI's to Marin and climbed Mount Tam... Where mountain biking was invented by Gary Fisher .. Right on the ocean... Beautiful views of the San Fran Skyline, Marin Headlands and the Pacific... Had an AWESOME day.. More pics here

Last edited:

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Spent the whole day checking every boost hose ,clamp, vacuum hose etc. also took the vacuum actuator off and found the cause of my over-boost. The actuator worked fine, but the vanes were/are sticky, so I took the EGR block-off off and sprayed Seafoam Deep Creep into the turbo and moved the leaver again and again for an hour or so. it loosened things up alot. but it's not completely free. may try the Easy Off technique next
It does feel good to know what the cause of the over-boost was.
PS Peter you were right it's not the actuator.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Had a broken spring (snapped off about 6 or 7 inches of the FR spring ages ago.
I changed both springs and put my TC sports back on, was not liking the Koni reds.

I forgot how much of a massive PITA the passenger side was compared to the drivers. Massive....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's amazing how much better it runs when there's full compression in all cylinders. (full story below)

Within the past week I replaced a leaky inter-injector return line that was dripping a fair amount of fuel. Noticed bubbles around 2 of the 4 glowplug bases where the fuel was bubbling. Hmmmmmm. I had replaced the GPs late last year, guess either didn't tighten them all the way or they worked loose. After tightening those 2 and checking the rest, OMG***BBQ improved performance all around.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Gave IBW its 25th oil and filter change. Added a half-can of Lubro-Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction additive. I don't have much in the way of expectations, but the car did run smoother at low revs in 4th and 5th. Of course it usually does with fresh oil anyway. We'll see. I'm going to closely monitor consumption during this interval and make a decision about changing the valve guide seals at the next timing belt change (260K).

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Gave IBW its 25th oil and filter change. Added a half-can of Lubro-Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction additive. I don't have much in the way of expectations, but the car did run smoother at low revs in 4th and 5th. Of course it usually does with fresh oil anyway. We'll see. I'm going to closely monitor consumption during this interval and make a decision about changing the valve guide seals at the next timing belt change (260K).
Added to which oil?

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Interesting Peter. I'm going to buy a couple cans with my next order. Will share it with my neighbor. His SBC 350 sounded like it had some internal problems which cleared up after he mixed some MoS2 powder into some oil and added it to the crankcase. Wonder what lubro moly uses to keep in in suspension.