Anyone run an Ebay turbo on their 1.9L?

Hussman

TDI
2003 VW Jetta ALH TDI 5 speed
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone on here has ran an Ebay turbo on their 1.9 TDI's? My turbo is shot and I'm just looking for a cheap fix to get my car running since I can't go big turbo just yet. Anyone have any experience with the Speed Daddy brand turbos that they put out there on ebay for like 200-300? I know the turbo probably won't last too long, but I'm just looking for something that'll get the diesel moving again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K04-GT1749V...c0e2544&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=111929023734

It's on a 2003 VW Jetta TDI 1.9, all factory parts, just has a KermaTDI 2.5" catback exhaust setup. Ran the turbo back for a little but I'm pretty sure that's what blew the turbo (the car was only at 90k), so I had to throw a cat on there. Well, for that reason and cause I had to pass smog.

I've seen good used stock turbos for 150-300 on craigslist and part out ads many times. Finding something like that is a better option in my opinion. Just my $.02.

Good luck

Hussman

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
To me the issue is not EBAY but the source of the product on EBAY. I have a CRHA unit from a USA business I think sells on EBAY. I rebuilt my turbo with about 3-4 years ago with just the CRHA unit. It cost about $350 and the car has over 100,000 miles on that turbo with no issues. If it is from China then run the other way as they will not last long. I had a parts car with one that was a good example of what happens from the China stuff. Bearings all worn out and leaking oil with fins all mangled and the rest of it looked brand new.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
With how prone to early failure the OEM turbo is
Really? The VNT-15 is one of the most reliable turbos out there. Many people run these well in excess of 300K miles without problems. With routine oil changes, the correct oil, good air filters, and a properly performing vacuum system, they last a long time. The actuators can rust out, but they're easily replaced.

My son's '02 Golf just passed 370K miles with its original Garrett VNT-15. And he has a lot of company.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
My VNT15 blew itself in half at 210,000 miles. (I was under WOT at the time, but that shouldn't matter) My new VNT17 is running great now. :)t

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No, it shouldn't matter. Probably something else was up: overboost, oil contamination, foreign object damage, something. They don't fail without a reason. At 210K it wasn't worn out.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
My VNT15 grenaded at 600,604km (375,000 miles). I ran 25,000km (15,000 mile) OCI, haphazard air filter changes, and was overboosting for about 175,000 miles. (I had to lightly feather the go pedal so I wouldn't go into limp mode.) The turbo should have lasted a whole lot longer if I actually figured out why it was overboosting and fixed it when it started.