Brake bleeding sequence questions?

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2013 Jetta sport wagon TDI

I have one of those pressurized break bleeder kits

Is there a recommended brake bleed sequence on these vehicles?

On most older vehicles it’s usually the furthest wheel first, then work your way back to the closest front wheel to the master cylinder.

But I wanted to be safe and asked first if there was any special Sequence or procedure?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
On most older vehicles it’s usually the furthest wheel first, then work your way back to the closest front wheel to the master cylinder.
But I wanted to be safe and asked first if there was any special Sequence or procedure?
The official Service Manual calls for it to be done exactly the opposite to what you expect, and highlights "do not deviate from the specified sequence".

If you search here there's a similar thread that's only a few days old and IIRC someone posted the actual page.

Dunno why they spec it that way... counter-intuitive to me... but the manual for my ALH and BEW also call this same sequence. Maybe the ABS changes the way air needs to be purged?

GearGuy2014

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Sorry, off topic a bit but which break bleeder kit do you have and do you like it?
Not OP but I bought the ECS Tuning kit for brakes and it has worked out well for my 14 Jetta and my parents 15 Passat. I would suggest getting the below version because its $10 more then mine and includes the stuff to do a DSG Flush.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/3-liter-multi-functional-filler-system/007311sch01a/

If you dont have a DSG or dont plan on doing your own then just get the regular version.

Also on a side note I wasnt aware that VW spec'd opposite of every other car so both of the above mentioned vehicles were flushed furtherest to nearest and I havent noticed any issues.