Squish!

lovebug

TDI
2002 Silver
So I was driving down the road the other day - minding my own business. Traffic slows to a stop, I pull my 2002 golf tdi out of gear and step on the brake. Traffic is real slow on this part of the expressway and this is normal. I am just enjoying the drive when BAM!! Apparently some chick driving a 1990 Mercery Sable wagon though it would be great fun to take her eyes of the road and cream me - she didnt even try to stop.
Well long and short of it - pretty extensive body work needs to be done - but I am waiting on the report from my very trusted shop to see if there is any structural damage.

Meanwhile her insurance tried to screw me by putting me into a Metro - shudder. I got upgraded - but why do i need to drive around in a chevy prism for a whole month. What did I ever do wrong??? My poor baby ....

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
First off I hope your OK. These cars can take "a real hit". I am convinced that you couldn't have a safer car around you.I know how you feel. I had my 98 NB for about 15 months and like you some chick couldn't keep her eyes on the road and rear ended me. NB after taking it back to the auto body shop and spending a couple of hours of my own time turned out OK. I now have several more years on her and appreciate her all the more. Good luck on getting her back in great shape. Just be patience and percistant and you'll get through it.

Mark R

They have to put you into a similar car as your own. Which is *NOT* a prism. When my BMW was side swipped they put me in a Jaguar (after I *****ed and hollered about how this would affect my relationship with my clients...BS of course). Don't accept the Prism POS. Glad to hear that you are at least okay. Hope the car either A.) has little damage or B.) get's totalled so you can get a new one

Mark
2003 Golf TDI
1995 BMW M3

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
One vital point: Make certain the repairs are made using OEM parts. Most insurance companies use aftermarket parts to save money. Tell the other driver's company thet can bill her for the difference.

Mark R

I find it's better to just go to a reputable body shop. Remember, well at least in California, you have EVERY right to pick the body shop you want. My body shop here in San Diego will *NOT* use any aftermarket parts on the car. OEM only. Anyway, good luck on the car!

Mark Radelow
2003 Golf TDI
1995 BMW ///M3

lovebug

TDI
2002 Silver
Well one of the benefits of getting completely reamed by somone who admits that they are in teh wrong is that I get to pick the body shop. After some quick research - I found a place that works on mainly german cars and refuses to use other than factory sealed OEM parts. The other insurance company has to pay at this point. Initial estimates on teh car are about 7k in damages - but I am still waiting from the adjustor's report. And I made them agree to a full check up at my dealership (which apparently is a find becuase they are awesome and I have always been happy with their work - and I check closely to make sure everything is done right). Luckily these cars can take a beating well there appears to be no frame damage and the most important thing is - I'm alright. I'll keep you all up to date.... hopefully I'll get my baby home soon.