Squish-squish-squish-squish...a ticking Time Bomb!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
TB squish-squish-squish-squish sound...I very narrowly averted a timing belt failure! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If your TDI has been making a soft "squish-squish-squish-squish" or "slosh-slosh-slosh-slosh" sound coming from the TB area, you may have a ticking time bomb under the hood! If so, get it checked ASAP! Pay particular attention to how the belt tracks through the entire TB path because it may be mis-tracking. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I just had my 80k mile first TB change done and I narrowly averted a TB disaster. My TB was one that was making a squishing sound and I found it was ready to fail at any moment! The belt was mis-tracking and being shaved by the TB tensioner like a knife on the edge of the belt. My belt was badly frayed and there were belt fragments and dust everywhere under the TB covers. It was amazing that I was still driving my TDI in this condition! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've included some pics of the belt and what I found in the engine.

First off, I can't thank Herm TDI enough for his excellent work done during my 80k mile first scheduled TB change! /images/graemlins/cool.gif He is a true expert on TDIs when it comes to TB changes. He does excellent work and his rates are reasonable. Herm does everything by the book and carefully checks and double-checks all of his work every step of the way, leaving absolutely nothing to chance. Best of all, I got to participate in the wrenching session and witness every step of the TB change job. After participating in my 80k mile first TB change, I have a much better appreciation for WHY you should avoid VW dealers at all costs for a TB change and have an expert like Herm do the job. It was a good wrenching session this past Saturday 12/13/03. It doesn't get any better than this. I will definitely be going back to Herm TDI in Maine for future work. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've seen several threads in the past asking about a "squishy" or "sloshy" sounding TB, but nobody was able to give any definitive answers as to the root cause. Some believed it may be a due to a noisy TB tensioner or serpentine belt tensioner. Some said it's somewhat normal because some TDIs like mine have done it almost since it was new. I first noticed mine making a soft squish-squish-squish sound at around 15-20k miles. It was loudest when cold and made 1 squish sound per rotation of the TB. The sound was most noticeable at idle. Also, I had neglected to regularly pop the TB cover off and inspect the TB for any signs of problems. Like others, I wrote it off as a normal sound because I've heard "normal" belt sounds from cars before. The result is I've driven about 60k miles with my squishy-sounding TB and never checked it. This was a BIG mistake on my part! /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif

My TDI: Black 2002 Golf TDI 5-speed, 4-dr, GLS trim, 80900 miles (now over 81k miles).

The car has been absolutely excellent since new. No problems to date, or so I thought! My TB was badly frayed along the outer edge around the entire length of the belt. All 3 of my TB rollers were found to be badly worn, which seems strange for a 2002 A4 TDI with "only" 80k miles. Normally these rollers are supposed to last until the second TB change at 160k miles. 90% of my driving has been agressive highway miles, regularly driving it like I stole it. I also regularly do WOT runs up to 4000RPM to help keep the air intake cleaned out.

The bearings in the TB rollers were badly worn enough that the rollers were loose and causing the belt to mis-track and rub against the flange of the TB tensioner pulley. The TB tensioner also may have caused the belt to mis-track. It was like holding a knife against the edge of the timing belt as it rotated through the TB path. I believe the root cause of the squish-squish-squish-squish sound was the sound of the belt being shaved by the TB tensioner pulley.

After studying the TB and where it was tracking, we came to the conclusion that the flange on the TB tensioner pulley was the ONLY THING keeping the TB from de-railing from the sprockets! Also, the TB tensioner had totally backed off all tension on the TB. There was absolutely no tension left on the TB whatsoever. This might explain why I've noticed the squish sound had quieted down over the last 20k miles or so. This timing belt was literally ready to fail at any moment! I realized I've been driving around for who knows how long with a ticking time bomb under the hood! (I dragged my jaw on the floor of Herm's garage!) Herm emphatically said "DO NOT DRIVE THIS!!"

The two small TB rollers spun freely but felt loose and sloppy. You could easily feel the play in the bearings. They also felt like they were almost totally dry of any lubrication. The large TB idler bearings felt "crunchy" and binding up as you spun the idler around by hand. Sometimes it would even squeal and howl when you spun it.

We called two VW dealers in the area to try to get some new TB rollers, but with no luck. They were out of stock, and the earliest we could get new parts would be Wednesday. We did not want to attempt to use my original rollers because it would damage the new TB the first time the engine was started. Given that I needed my car and can't get new roller parts for several days, we elected to install a set of used rollers that were in serviceable condition and in far better shape than my original rollers. We had to do this just to get my TDI engine back together and running again.

I was very lucky that Herm just "happened" to have a set of TB rollers available. This is what's holding me over while I have a set of new TB rollers on order. I'll be going back to Herm's place to have the new rollers installed after they arrive. I could probably go quite a while on the set of used rollers, but I'm not going to chance it. The part that's a real PITA is that we'll have to do the whole disassembly operation again to install these rollers. But I'll sleep better knowing the job is done 100% correctly and everything in the entire timing belt path has been replaced with new parts.

My water pump was in good shape but it was replaced with a new one during the TB change as a preventive measure. Although the WP was in good shape, it may not make it to the next sheduled TB change. I knew it was a good idea to replace the WP during the TB change, but we weren't expecting to have to replace the TB rollers so soon.

Lessons learned:
===============

* Regularly inspect the TB at each oil change interval (every 10k miles). Pay close attention to how the belt tracks through the entire TB path. If the TB is mis-tracking, get it fixed ASAP.

* Check the TB tensioner to make sure the TB is tensioned properly.

* Pay attention to any noises coming from the timing belt or any TB-related parts. A squish-squish-squish-squish or slosh-slosh-slosh-slosh sound is the sound of a timing belt that is mis-tracking and being shaved by the TB tensioner. This is a ticking time bomb under the hood!

* Consider doing an A4 TB change at 60k mile intervals instead of 80k intervals on an '02 or 100k miles on an '03. From what I've seen with my TB at 80k miles, I wouldn't trust the TB to go 100k miles in an '03 TDI.

* During any scheduled TB change, replace ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in the TB path with new parts: TB, TB tensioner, water pump, and the 3 TB rollers. It's cheap insurance and good preventive maintenance.

* Avoid VW dealers at all cost. Dealers will simply do a half-a$$ed "mark and pray" TB change, neglecting to change the water pump, rollers, and camshaft seal. We already know they don't always replace the TB tensioner. We know they'll reuse the engine mount bolts which are supposed to be used only once. We know dealers are reusing these bolts because the dealers normally don't keep these bolts in stock. Had a VW dealer done my TB change, the new belt would soon be damaged by my bad rollers and would likely fail a few thousand miles after the TB change. All bets would be off with regard to how well the engine would run before the TB failure because of the (incorrect) "mark and pray" method used. Also who knows how the engine mount bolts would hold up because they were reused instead of replaced with new bolts.

* Go to an expert like Herm TDI, Car54, or Drivbiwire for all TDI TB changes. Otherwise do it yourself if you're up to it. Drivbiwire's TB change document is a good starting point to use as a guideline. Don't go to a vW dealer!

Here are some pics of the original timing belt and the belt fragments we found in the engine. This is some real scary stuff considering I was driving around for who knows how long with it like this! /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Here are some pics with the original TB still in place in the engine:

Here are closeup pics of the TB showing the frayed edge and damaged teeth:

My TDI now runs better and is noticeably peppier than it was when new. Herm got the injection timing set slightly on the advanced side of spec, but within spec. My original timing was set right to spec and maybe a hair on the retarded side of the spec. It runs GREAT now with how Herm set it up!

Again, I can't thank Herm TDI enough for his expertise! It's scary to think I narrowly averted a TB disaster!

~ n1das

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
Way to go. The Salt on the Winter roads in New England blows but at least we New Englanders have access to folks like Herm. I told a friend the other day "I'd rather push my car to Maine than drive it ~5 miles to the nearest VW dealer".....Rob M Concord, MA

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
nice documentation,

I would guess that the WPs will last longer than most are allowing for, but that isn't a big deal or the point of hte thread.

The swish swish noise i've heard from some Timing belts is due to an accumulation of rubbery material on one or more of the idle rollers, when I've seen it it has been the top one.

BTW the cheapest advertized price for the rollers I've found is ecstuning.com they don't have as complete a selection as some other vendors, but many of the maintenace bits are very well priced. Maybe Harv has em cheaper but because of ECSTuning's location i can get an order the next day or in two days using UPS ground shipping.

I'm glad you've found a source for your maintenace! Keep up the good work Herm!

speedR

Veteran Member
Wow thanks for the heads up! I too had the squish squish sound coming from that side of the engine. I initially thought it was the serpentine belt idler pulley so I went out to have a look a few minutes ago and it turns out it's coming from the TB area. I slide the cover off to the side (since I could only get a the three clips) and didn't see any chafing of the belt. The noise is concentrated at the top pulley. I'm wondering if it's the actual pulley or the TB tensioner?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Dave..it was a pleasure to meet you..and work on your Golf. The 2Dr Golf GL is a special car to me...of all the TDIs...The 2Dr Golf is my personal favorite...Your's is looking good and just by the looks under the hood and inside as well...its evident that your TDI is well maintained.

As a side note...you should have been here today to see what rolled into my garage...Another "botched" timing belt" done at a local "hack shop"....they did the "Pull & Pray" method ( they even left the paint stick marks on the pullies!!)...Also....as "GeWilli" posted the other day about the engine mount alignment dementions....this one was as far off at the "edge-distance" that the mount couldn't be moved any further....A CV joint....waiting to fail.

Thats a very important issue to address during the timing belt service...maintaining the correct engine alignment is directly related to the drive line components...CV joints can wear prematurely ...just because the engine is not in its correct alignment. Its (setting the alignment) easy to set...but its also easy to over-look.

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
OK I have to ask about the alignment of the engine mounts. How is it checked? I did a quick search and must have missed it.

Did a timing belt change a few months back on a friends 2001, using the EXCELLENT how to instructions posted on this site.

Pretty straight forward, but was not aware of the alignment procedure. Sure would like to check it.

Also, since I read this post, I will check the condition of the new belt. I don't think the owner knows to check the belt on a reg. basis. Great write up, and thanks for the heads up.

Kevin

n1das

TDI
Yes! I'd rather push my car to Maine than drive it even 1 mile to the nearest dealer! That says it all! LOL!

Herm - New TB rollers and bolts are on order. I should have them this Thursday or Friday. Let's talk about scheduling via email or PM.

speedR - Pulley vs. Tensioner? I think the squish sound was not from the tensioner itself, but more from the sound of the belt rubbing and being shaved by the lip (flange) of the tensioner pulley. If you have squishy or sloshy sounding TB, you need to watch how it tracks because it may be mis-tracking and getting shaved like mine was.

GeWilli - As for my TB rollers, they were clean on the surface (see top pic). No rubbery material had built up on
them at all. They were loose and sloppy from lots of bearing wear. The two small rollers would turn quietly, but were almost totally dry of lubrication. The large roller felt "crunchy" and was binding up when you spin it by hand and it was also dry of lubrication. I think the TB rollers if they were noisy would have made constant dry scraping sounds because of the high RPMs they spin at. The squish sound heard corresponded to 1 squish or slosh sound per rev of the belt. It was a soft squish-squish-squish-squish or slosh-slosh-slosh-slosh sound, most pronounced at idle.

The bottom line is SOMETHING was causing my TB to mis-track and rub against the flange of the TB tensioner pulley. The belt was being shaved as if you were holding an X-Acto knife against the edge of the belt. My timing belt was well on it's way to shredding itself. Luckily we caught it in time to avert a TB failure and a ruined engine. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I thought it would be worthwhile to post my story as a heads up because I've had a squishy or sloshy sounding TB for a while and I know other A4 TDI owners have experienced the same thing. There have been a few threads in the past asking about the squish or slosh sound. Maybe this will help unravel (no pun intended) /images/graemlins/smirk.gif the mystery of the squishy or sloshy sounding TB.

As for putting the rest of my car back together after the TB change, it seems to have a more "solid" feel to it in the ride and handling. Maybe my R/H engine mount was slightly mis-aligned from the factory or starting to loosen up. /images/graemlins/eek.gif The engine's performance improvement since the timing was set slightly advanced but within spec is night and day compared to how it was before! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here are the VAG-COM TDI timing graphs of how my injection timing looked the night before and the night after the TB change. I'm using the latest release of VAG-COM (version 311.2).

Timing measurement made at home on the night before the TB change:

Timing measurement made at home in the evening following the TB change:

Herm got the injection timing set right on the nose on the first try! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

~ n1das

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
I noticed the squish-squish about 5 weeks ago when weather got colder. After car warms up it either disappears or it's barely detectable. I'll have to pull the timing belt cover this weekend and check my belt.

n1das

TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed the squish-squish about 5 weeks ago when weather got colder. After car warms up it either disappears or it's barely detectable. I'll have to pull the timing belt cover this weekend and check my belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is EXACTLY how mine was sounding. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif My belt was beginning to shred itself at 80k miles. Since I neglected to regularly inspect the TB (shame on me!) /images/graemlins/blush.gif, I don't know long it's been like that. I first noticed the squish squish sounds at around 20k miles. I didn't worry about it because the car was so new at the time and I saw a few threads in the forums where a number of A4 TDIs were doing the exact same thing and hadn't self-destructed (yet). Herm TDI defintely helped put the fear of God in me to regularly inspect the TB! /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Take a close look at how the belt is tracking and how it sits on the TB tensioner pulley. Mine was definitely tracking against the outer flange or lip of the tensioner pulley. I think this is where the squish noise originates from as the belt edge gets rubbed by the tensioner. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a closeup pic of the belt and how it rode on the tensioner. I'll be better prepared next time! The "mouse nest" of large belt fragments at the bottom my engine was proof that my belt was definitely getting shaved by something. /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

After discovering the condition of my TB at 80k miles this past weekend, I'm now going to change my TB at 60k mile intervals and replace EVERYTHING in the TB path each time as preventive maintenance. I don't trust the TB to go 80k, let alone 100k miles. I'll be inspecting the TB with each oil change (every 10k miles) as part of regular preventive maintenance.

Only time will tell how well the 80k/100k TB holds up to 80k miles in 2002 TDIs and 100k miles in 2003 TDIs in "real world" service and incompetent VW dealers! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

~ n1das

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
n1das: great detective work finding this. You really caught it at the right time! I'm really glad to hear you found it before it found you, and Herm had a set of rollers to reinstall. Luckily for everyone else, I have never seen a TB this worn and hopefully its a one in a million thing.

n1das

TDI
[ QUOTE ]
n1das: great detective work finding this. You really caught it at the right time! I'm really glad to hear you found it before it found you, and Herm had a set of rollers to reinstall. Luckily for everyone else, I have never seen a TB this worn and hopefully its a one in a million thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing to note is that mine sounded exactly like a lot of others out there. I know I'm not alone with the squish squish sound. I've seen a couple of threads in the past asking about a squishy or sloshy sounding TB.

I should have been inspecting my TB at regular intervals, like with every oil change, but I was lazy and didn't check it. Shame on me! It was alarming to find it in that condition during my 80k scheduled TB change. /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'll be checking it regularly from now on!

My new set of rollers and engine mount bolts arrived today. I'm planning to go to Herm's this Saturday (12/20/03) to get the rollers installed. I'm just waiting for Herm's confirmation via email. I decided to get the new rollers installed as soon as possible so that EVERYTHING in the entire TB path has been replaced with new parts.

After seeing my TB in the condition it was in, I'm not comfortable going 80k or even 100k miles on the 80k/100k belt. I feel more comfortable with a 60k mile change interval. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather find it and replace it before it finds me, like you said.

~ n1das

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
An update here -- this thread worried me because my car has a very loud belt noise when cold -- people ask "what's that?" Of course when it warms up it goes away.

So I checked the belt and the tensioner today in preparation for a 2,500-mile trip. Both are fine.

I ran the car without the timing belt cover and the noise was much louder -- so it is the TB I think. But where I do not know.

This is to say that the squish squish sound might not be good, but it does not necessarily mean the belt is fraying.

Ted

Jeff_Duncan

Veteran Member
My 02 TDI makes this noise. Has 68K on it. I think, though that it may be rubber on the rollers rather than a disaster waiting to happen as outlined here. I beleive that if the belt was mistracking and fraying, the sound wouldn't disapear when the car warmed up. I think that n1das had compound issues. Just my opinion. What does Herm TDI charge for an average TB change? Ballpark?

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
An update here -- this thread worried me because my car has a very loud belt noise when cold -- people ask "what's that?" Of course when it warms up it goes away.

So I checked the belt and the tensioner today in preparation for a 2,500-mile trip. Both are fine.

I ran the car without the timing belt cover and the noise was much louder -- so it is the TB I think. But where I do not know.

This is to say that the squish squish sound might not be good, but it does not necessarily mean the belt is fraying.

Ted
I second Ted here. I've got the noise (while engine is cold) and regularly inspect my TB. No sign of mistracking or fraying. So, don't get sucked in to the 'sky is falling/don't drive it another mile' stuff, but do check your belt regularly for signs like the pictures above.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

Ted
I second Ted here. I've got the noise (while engine is cold) and regularly inspect my TB. No sign of mistracking or fraying. So, don't get sucked in to the 'sky is falling/don't drive it another mile' stuff, but do check your belt regularly for signs like the pictures above.
Yes, there seems to be more than one reason for the squish-squish sound. I inspected my belt, too, and it looks and tracks just fine. 45k km on the belt.
The squish-squish immediately disappears with a shot of lubricant aimed behind the camshaft pulley, well away from anything to do with the TB itself.

It has virtually stayed away for a month now (used to be noticeable only at startup, then stayed all the time and became annoying).

The key message here is:

Do not ignore that sound, but track it down!
Depending on the cause for the noise, you may have to perform prophylactic surgery.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Well, in my case, the lower small idler was definitely ready to die... glad Herm was able to fit me in, as I was a long way from home, and I don't think the roller would have lasted much longer... the bearings sound dry, and there's lots of "flex" in the unit...

(Jeff Duncan: check your mailbox...)

Yuri.