Inside dimensions of cargo area (Help a Jetta guy out)

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Hi all,
In considering options for my next car, I need to be able to conveniently fit my sax in the car. Problem is the case is huge. And the metal corners mean that it's a perfectly rectangular box, no rounded corners like rubbermaid bins or something to help you sneak it in. I've found a couple of diagrams online, but could anyone help me out with measurements?
Here's the case. It's a hair over 42" long, 17" high, and 10" deep as it sits in the picture. It kind of wedges behind the wheel wells in my car now, but I can fit it. I'm wondering if I can put it in diagonally or something in a golf. I imagine the Wagon is no problem... It wouldn't be the end of the world to have to fold a seat down, but I do have a car seat.
Thanks!!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I didn't measure, but with the split folding seat it seems it would have to fit with half the seat folded. It might also fit without folding anything, but I think for sure with half folded.

I'll go measure right now!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
With the seat folded, the single one without the middle section folded so you could still have the child seat in the middle, the opening is about 14" wide and 55"+ to almost 60" long. I'm just not sure exactly how far back you could go and still close the hatch. I think it would definitely fit, but only with the seat folded. In that configuration, you'd probably also have to remove the parcel shelf because it would limit the height to about 14". With the parcel shelf removed it's very tall.

The picture below is mine with both seats folded, but also with the back seat bottom removed to make it flat. There really is a lot of room if you fold one or both seats. I was thinking about sleeping in mine. It's certainly possible, but maybe a little short really to be comfortable.

on Flickr

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for the input! That 55" dimension is very helpful. As I know everyone has been discussing, options are scarce for a replacement car that checks all the boxes, and with a kid, I'd like to take a step up in space, not down. Thanks again.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
I think it will fit with the seats up diagonally.. between the wheel wells I'm the trunk is 40 inches wide... If not it will fit in the back seat or with a seat folded down

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The MK6 JSW has (66.9 Cubic Feet) Cargo Volume, more than many sport utility or cross over utilities by a good amount.

From hatch to back of seats is about (min) 5'6" (66"). Actually that is to back of the bottom of the fold up back of seats which is why the fold down back seats (split) can fold flat. It is very nice.

You lose a little with the 2015 MK7 Golf/Golf Wagen, in that the floor is not completely flat.

The floor is perfectly flat from the hatch door seal to the seats.

That box will fit no problem with lots of room to spare in a JSW. In a Golf not sure.

http://media.vw.com/doc/908/1953807316536a81198b65a.pdf

100 Liters = 3.53147 Cu Ft.
https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/vw-golf-dimensions-334

Last edited: