No GP or check engine light and no start

kambrian

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Just like the title says. I put the key in, turn it to its first position where all the lights normally go on and I get everything except the glow plug light and the check engine light. I turn the key to start the car and it cranks fine, just refuses to start.

I did some research and it seems like this could be a relay 109 issue but the threads that I have read say that only the glow plug light wont come on. Should I start with relay 109 or is my problem somewhere else?

kambrian

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Well, my maf died and threw a code. Replaced the maf and the light went out. I drove from Buffalo to New Jersey and parked for a couple nights. My girlfriend tried to start the car for a bit and then told me that it wouldn't start. I went to take a look and noticed the glow plug and check engine lights weren't on. So it sat until today. Replaced the relay and now the light is back on.

kambrian

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Well, I took it for a drive to the grocery store and it drives like the maf is dead. Get out of from the grocery store and no light. Get home, turn the car off, turn it back on and check engine light is on again. Turn the car off, take the groceries in, come back out and turn the car on and no check engine light. Let it idle for a few minutes, turn it off, start it back up and check engine light is on. I'll try to get to autozone tomorrow and get it scanned. Anyone have any ideas? Oh, and my A/C somehow went from blowing ice cold to not working in 3 days...

I swear, this car was perfect and then it hit 170k and things just start failing left and right.

kambrian

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Ok, got my hands on vag-com and scanned it. It came back with the following:

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 012 BD
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC G500AG 2507
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 01317
1 Fault Found:
17552 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Open or Short to Ground
P1144 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans
Controller: 01M 927 733 HK
Component: AG4 Getriebe 01M 4606
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000
5 Faults Found:
00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
00660 - Kickdown Switch or Throttle Position Sensor
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00529 - Engine Speed Signal Missing
35-00 - -
00545 - Engine-Transmission Electrical Connection
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground
01314 - Engine Control Module
49-00 - No Communications

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1J0 907 379 P
Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001
Coding: 03504
No fault code found.

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17: Instruments
Controller: 1J0 920 900 M
Component: A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V24
Coding: 07242
IMMO-IDENTNR: VWZ7Z0X2124750
1 Fault Found:
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Address 19: CAN Gateway
Controller: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00007
1 Fault Found:
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Address 35: Centr. Locks
Controller: 1C0 962 258 P
Component: 06 Zentr.Verriegel. 0001
Coding: 00256
No fault code found.

I cleared them, started it up and let it idle for a bit. No light. Drove it to the grocery store and back with no hiccups. Power is back and oddly enough A/C works again. Which one of these codes would cause the A/C to stop working?

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
There must have been a code for "car is just acting goofy" maybe you forgot to copy and paste it. ;)

Or maybe the A/C got cancelled because of the "Engine Speed Signal Missing" or any one of the "no communication" conditions. Really, though, without the A/C symptom, I would have said the no com was the result of the relay 109 and means nothing. I'm still leaning that way.

wait and see.

kambrian

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
HopefulFred said:
There must have been a code for "car is just acting goofy" maybe you forgot to copy and paste it. ;)

Or maybe the A/C got cancelled because of the "Engine Speed Signal Missing" or any one of the "no communication" conditions. Really, though, without the A/C symptom, I would have said the no com was the result of the relay 109 and means nothing. I'm still leaning that way.

wait and see.
Those errors definitely were not there before the relay died. The only error I had before the relay was the MAF one and that was fixed when I replaced the MAF. I just find it strange that a dead relay 109 caused so many problems that did not correct themselves when the new one was put in.

But whatever, I can't complain. The car is back on the road. Now to replace my seizing wiper linkage...