Help! Can not open rear hatch on MK4 Golf

Denny

TDI
2001 golf (blue)
My 01 Golf TDI has an issue with opening the rear hatch...does not work with remote key, cockpit release swith on door or with key in rear latch!!!
Any suggestion? Your help is always appreciated.:confused: :confused:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Bad elctrical connection or switch/latch in the rear hatch. Most probably the rear washer is leaking and corroded the contacts. You are going to have one rough time getting that hatch open. First suggestion is to push the hatch closed with pressure in the middle bottom as you try to open the trunk. Do you hear the actuator when you press the remote or button in the car? If not the actuator could be bad. The bad news is that if you cannot open the hatch you wil have to cut the plastic (inner) panel to access the actuator to open it manually. If you can hear the actuator trying to open it and it will not release, then your problem is the striker is set to far downwards. I had this problem. If you can get it open that one last time, pull upard and outward on the striker with firm steady force and the latch will close properly. The by-the-book method would be to take all of the trunk trim out and adjust the screws that hold the striker in place, but why go trhough all of that nonsense. Let me know how it works out.

Denny

TDI
2001 golf (blue)
I will keep my fingers crossed

I do not hear the actuator operating when I activate the door mounted swith from the cockpit...I would thing that when using the key that it is an all mechanical operation and the key would physically turn the latch catch and allow the release. I guess it is not that simple!
Thank you for the advice! I will play with this in the heat of my garrage later today and will let you know the outcome!
denny

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
When you use the physical key, it still moves the actuator arm. Try to get it open one time or you will be stuck cutting the rear inner cover. When you get everything apart let me know and I will give you a few tips on what to check for.

sobe

My 2002 Jetta has a similar problem. The trunk release using:
  • the control on the driver's door doesn't work
  • the button on the key fob doesn't work
  • the key in the trunk lock doesn't work
I can feel a vibration next to the trunk lock when trying to use the methods listed above. It's like a motor is engaging, but the trunk latch lever isn't moving. Based on that I assume wiring/contacts aren't the issue.

The emergency trunk release found inside the trunk does work - the latch lever moves and the trunk opens.

I haven't removed the trunk liner to look at the latch mechanism yet. Does anyone have any pointers regarding what I should be looking for?

Denny

TDI
2001 golf (blue)
still trying

No luck with getting it open I intend to keep playing with it before doing surgury! No manuall\ release in an 01 Golf...unfortuately.
I will keep you informed and thanks!

Denny

TDI
2001 golf (blue)
VW Dealer finds broken wire in rear hatch hinge area under wire bellows! $78.00.
Thanks for all your suggestions!

eric92

TDI
2001 2 door Golf TDI silver
I know that this is an old post, but I am having the same issue with my 2001 Golf TDI.

My FOB won't open rear hatch.
My key won't open rear hatch (key hole probely bunged up with road grime and salt).
My control on drivers side door stopped working.

I used to be able to hear the motor on the rear door , but now i hear nothing and have no way to open hatch.

I need to fix this/figure it out as I gotta sell it.

Wish me luck.

branforddiesel

TDI
2001 '01 golf TDI 4dr 5speed
Having this issue now. i was able to pry open rear hatch liner to get a look at the mechanism. when I hit the button it sounds like everything is engaged as it should, only the arm connected to accuator doesn't move or flinch at all.

I'm gonna assume the accuator is broken. The rubber insulator the protects the wires on upper hatch hinges is well sealed and i'm not sure if I want to go ripping that up for 50/50 on a busted wire. BTW trunk opened fine last night , drove it home in rain. wouldnt budge. noticed the rear wiper cap is cracked and screw is exposed. Could be rain water getting in? I don't much yet about electricity in cars, but if it was a short or fuse, I shouldnt be hearing motor trying to engage? Thank you, Jeff

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The washer back there can leak, resulting in corroded connections (and eventually crapping the lock). AND, if your washer fluid doesn't protect down to the temps you're getting then there can be a bit of a freeze at the squirter, causing a blockage, and when running the squirter it'll build pressure and pop the hose off (fluid going right into the hatch).

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you hear everything working as it should but the arm doesn’t move then remove the actuator and disassemble clean and lube the moving parts and reassemble, reinstall.

branforddiesel

TDI
The key won't even open it. Makes all the noises like it's supposed to. It won't pop open

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Then you will need to take the two Phillips head screws that are in each of the handle recesses out and pop the inside plastic trim off. Once those screws are out the inside piece is held on with clips and using a putty knife or flat head screwdriver and your fingers it will come off.

Then you can manually move the lock device. All of this has to be done while sitting/laying/contorted on top of the spare tire area.

Ok I reread your first post it sounds like you’ve got the trim piece off, correct? So that you can look right at the lock actuator? If so manually move the rod and open the hatch. Then it will be a little easier to figure out what’s wrong.

Is the actuator rod still connected to the lock? If not that’s your problem.

As far as the key working in the lock. It looks like you live in salt country as I do. I’ve never been able to use my key in a Golf hatch and have it work.

Last edited:

branforddiesel

TDI
Yep. The little rubber ball and socket thing is where it should have been and I was able to move the arm bar up and down. Can't find video or images to get the actuator off. Thanks jeff

branforddiesel

TDI
Was able to get panel off. Hope it goes back on. I really had to rip that sucker off. Anyway I soused everything with WD-40 and then stuck the key and just kept moving it back until I was able to unlock it with the key.

I having trouble getting the actuator off. There is a detailed step by step on another for, but the pictures won't open and I need visuals Any help with that would be great. Thanks jeff