What are the best improvements to make while doing timing belt job?

kball

TDI
2006 mk5 tdi, 03 alh
Just wanted to see what others recommend while having the car off the road for maintenance. Thinking about a egr delete, maybe removing and cleaning the intake manifold, rerouting the crankcase breather. Things like that. Any other input?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you can clean the intake, although there is zero procedure overlap between a t belt and intake cleaning... rerouting the pcv won't net you a thing in performance or economy and really just adds failure point clutter and extra plumbing under the hood... and if you delete the egr there is zero reason to modify the existing reliable ccv system... replace the plastic serpentine roller, remove and lube the tensioner roller, check the alternator clutched pulley, replace the thermostat and cts (if original black connector)

Last edited:

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Replace the thermostat if it has some age on it: the coolant will already be drained, the thermostat & housing are cheap and removal is a hose clamp and 2 bolts.

If you remove/block off the EGR, you can also remove the EGR cooler and reroute the hoses to remove another potential fail point.

I cleaned my intake when I did the TB also, and jimbote is right: there is no overlap but I was in there anyway!

Good luck!