Transmission:Error, Airbag:Error

Knife39

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
Started my 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen yesterday, 72,500 miles, backed out of a parking space, drove about 50 feet when it displayed Error: Airbag, Error: Transmission, electronic functions on both sides of the steering wheel, cruise control, and the ability to reset or modify the center display on the instrument cluster all inop. No codes pulled yet, was wondering if there was any way to force a computer reset. Have tried disconnecting the battery, no change in status.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
To put it in a nutshell: all your steering wheel stuff died?

Without a scan tool, my guess would be a clock spring, but that is just a guess.

Knife39

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
Not just the steering wheel stuff, also simultaneously displayed the Airbag and transmission warning.

oilhammer

TDI
The airbag is in the steering wheel, and do you have paddle shifters? (sorry, couldn't remember if non-GTI DSG A7s got those or not).

Knife39

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
Thanks for the info - did a little troubleshooting / watched a couple videos based on your suggestion and I think you solved it. Thanks again.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so what was the resolution?

And I was correct in that all the stuff that was not working correctly was in some way passing through to the steering wheel if it was all the control buttons, paddle shifters, and the airbag. There wasn't anything else NOT through the steering in some way, correct?

Knife39

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
You were right - the clock spring was all gooned up inside. What really threw me was the transmission warning. When you mentioned the paddles shifters - I had never even thought of that - also routing through the clock spring - it made sense and I went forward with the disassembly. You were right, in that there were no warning that did not in some way route through the steering wheel. Thanks for the info

oilhammer

TDI
Cool, glad you followed up. And thanks for confirming the 2015 non-TDI DSG cars do have the paddle shifters, because I honestly could not remember. The older TDIs did not, it was just on the GTI/GLI cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think the OP added the paddles, I don't think those came stock on 15 TDI DSG cars, could be wrong thou.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I thought they did, but sadly 2015 TDIs are a rare sight here. :(
You must have missed me driving through in September. Hehe. Speed limit plus or minus 10% is my general rule on dry pavement. :D

Knife39

TDI
2015 TDI Sportwagen
Quick follow up from my original post. Replaced the clock spring. Had a delay while I ordered an OBD2 Sensor so I could reset my codes. Ran the code clear, and it cured all the problems - the transmission warning, the airbag warning, the inoperative horn, and the inoperative paddle shifters. What it did not cure, and what is new since the replacement is now I get a "Button for driver assist systems faulty". The audio control on the left side of the steering wheel works, but the interface with the cruise control does not. All other steering wheel functions and interface seem to function properly. I reset all the codes following the installation of the clock switch - and it cleared the airbag and transmission warning. I removed the steering wheel a second time, and checked all the pins and connections at the clockswtch - at least made sure non were bent, and wiggled all the connectors to make sure there was good contact. Checked for codes and reset. Still have "Button for driver assist systems faulty" Any ideas?

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Quick follow up from my original post. Replaced the clock spring. Had a delay while I ordered an OBD2 Sensor so I could reset my codes. Ran the code clear, and it cured all the problems - the transmission warning, the airbag warning, the inoperative horn, and the inoperative paddle shifters. What it did not cure, and what is new since the replacement is now I get a "Button for driver assist systems faulty". The audio control on the left side of the steering wheel works, but the interface with the cruise control does not. All other steering wheel functions and interface seem to function properly. I reset all the codes following the installation of the clock switch - and it cleared the airbag and transmission warning. I removed the steering wheel a second time, and checked all the pins and connections at the clockswtch - at least made sure non were bent, and wiggled all the connectors to make sure there was good contact. Checked for codes and reset. Still have "Button for driver assist systems faulty" Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
pm me if you're looking for a new (to you) clockspring. I have a kicking around somewhere, having replaced mine for one for heated steering wheel.
(Also have shifter paddles if you want to add a set of those, too. :D )

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Does your new clock spring have the same coding as the old one?
Is it just cruise that doesn't work or the set of buttons on the left side? False popping up on the dash, or in a scan if you have VCDS or OBD11?

oilhammer

TDI
The A7s (and other newer VAG products) have the clock spring integral with the Steering Column module, which needs to be coded to the car. It needs to be told the car actually has cruise control. Take it back to the dealer, and tell them to do their job.