ECU reflash service - glow plugs

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
So back in 2010 I had the botched glow plug recall performed and switched from ceramic to steel glow plugs which of course happened in the summer. In the winter I got a scent of how 'well' the steel glow plugs work. Though it wasn't that bad for me - car only had issues starting when engine was ran for 2-3 minutes and temps were around freezing point (needed 5-6 second crank instead the usual near instant start I had before) - for example dropping kids at school and restarting the car after that.

Of course I got the letter about the "extended glow plug warranty" and tried to get the issue sorted by the dealer. But because it was not listed as recall, they had to "diagnose" the issue first. Of course due to the specific conditions car experienced hard start, they were "unable to reproduce the problem" and I ended up paying 100 bucks for diagnostics.. Next winter the same game - another 100 bucks for nothing and of course since the issue can't be reproduced, they refused to perform the fix (7v plugs). Not longer after this the warranty was up.. Since then the start issue slowly deteriorated to the point I have to heat 3-4 times and crank for good 10+ seconds to get the car started after sitting overnight in a subzero temps.

It has been few years since then, I had to replace a glow plug once few years ago, now again I am having issue with a glow plug needing replacing again. I want to put the new 7V plugs which reportedly perform much better than the crappy 5V ones I currently have. But that requires ECU reflash and I don't know if I want to go to the dealer to get it done (even not sure how to ask for it). Let alone the cost... I have no doubt i will be charged at least 4 hours work for this..

I know I can mail the ECU to some folks like RocketChip and get it reflashed, but that isn't really convenient as I need the car daily. Is there anyone in GTA (Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, Canada) who can perform the flash upgrade?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You might try looking for a Malone tuner in your area, and there also might be something that can be mailed to you and used via the DLC. I am unsure about the details of this, however, as I usually just mail the ECUs to Rocketchip myself, but as you said that will take a couple days.

The dealer CAN do it, but getting them to comprehend what actually needs to be done can be more of a headache than it is worth.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Personally I prefer to go the BDM route if someone wants to update their ECU for the "glow plugs recall"

there is a lot more than just glow plugs that went into that update.