Blue smoke and hard start when cold

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I have been searching for a thread that might apply to my issue, but I get bogged down by the results from those wondering about a puff of blue smoke at startup.
My issue is a hard start. When cold (35-45F ambient) It starts up but runs poorly, sputtering while belching blue smoke, until it smooths out 10 seconds later or so. No smoke after this and runs like a champ.
The Car: PD Jetta 2004, just did a auto/manual conversion. New VNT17, amd Malone Stage 4. Engine is from an 'auto recycler'. Looks fine but unknown verifiable condition.
No codes, just acts like it has excess oil or fuel in the cylinders when starting.
New fuel filter, air filter, oil change. Does not seem to be using much oil, but I have only put 200 miles on it so far.
Can anyone give me a punch list to start tracking things down?

I get the glowplug light for 4-5 seconds with key on, it seems like I need to start there, but I am new to TDI's so I really have no idea where to look first.

Thanks for any help I can get.

I would love it fixed soon, I have a trip next week where I have to park in an underground parking garage. If it starts up in that thing, it will be a mess.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to verify the glow plug type and software version are compatible first.

Lots of threads on that here. LOTS.

TSB/recall/another re-recall/etc. over the glow system. Your tuner should have asked about this.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Some important background info:

I bought this car with 269K miles on it, so I thought I would pick up a lower mileage motor to use while I rebuilt the original one. I was doing the auto to manual conversion along with a few other upgrades, so my wallet was better off this way.

The ECU had a program to run the old motor, which is now on a stand.

The old engine probably has 5 VDC GP's. My tune is set up for 5 volt GP's.

My new engine has NGK 7V GP's in it.

That would explain why it starts so poorly until it warms up.

I will confirm, but I am doing a victory lap right now.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Aaand it runs great after the tune is loaded.

Thanks for the guidance, I had not seen the GP issue before.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Glad you got it fixed!

Yep, if the software is not matched to the specific voltage glow plugs it has, it will have a tough time starting in the cold, or just burn the plugs out in short order.