www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 13th, 2018, 14:35   #16
meerschm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewhovis View Post
Has anyone successfully reset their TDI to pre emissions scandal settings? We have a 2010 sportwagon that was totally ruined by the new modifications. We want our old car back, can it be done?
The car only gets 28 mpgs, has lost 40% of power, and worst of all it regens the diesel participate filter every time we drive it.
I am wondering if there are any aftermarket re-maps available?

take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 16:46   #17
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I have a little over 6k miles on my new left over 2015 Beetle and haven't had the warning for def come on yet. My old 2013 Passat made it at least 10k between fills. I will see if this one does.
You both can quit waiting for a very long time if you topped it off. The tank is 5 or more gallons and the sensor will read as 100% full all the way down to at least 3 gallons. You wouldn't have normally seen the light on before the fix and you won't ever see the warning now so long as you continue filling the DEF tank.

That's ignoring the obvious problems with comparing different model years of completely different models to one another.

If you want to gauge consumption drive a set amount of miles pre-fix, measure how much you fill the tank, then drive the same path under the same conditions post-fix and measure how much it takes to fill the tank up...just like checking fuel mileage. An entire range of dummy lights have next to worthless relationships to the things they are gauging and this one isn't any different.

It's a factual observation that more regens and their requisite increased fuel consumption are a natural byproduct of the accepted fix. It's a subjective claim as to whether it's enough to bother you. Trying to qualify an argument around something's significance is ridiculous and, at least in this thread, a strawman of the person's feelings anyway. Attempts to convince people of a fact who are unwilling to be convinced of a certain fact or unwilling to accept that that fact might bother others more than them is a fools errand.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:03   #18
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Not to mention the OPs car doesn't use Adblue.
Old February 13th, 2018, 19:03   #19
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I am not comparing mine to anything. Just want to know if the light comes on before 10k miles. Doesn't really matter to me one way or another. When it comes on or I do a regular service it will get topped off. Mine has only been filled once by the dealer when I bought it.
Old February 13th, 2018, 22:35   #20
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am not comparing mine to anything. Just want to know if the light comes on before 10k miles. Doesn't really matter to me one way or another. When it comes on or I do a regular service it will get topped off. Mine has only been filled once by the dealer when I bought it.
Your post was literally one sentence describing what your 2015 Beetle does, a second sentence describing what your 2013 Passat did, and a third sentence stating that you were curious to see if your Beetle was going to do what your Passat did. That's a comparison in the English I speak
Old February 14th, 2018, 08:10   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Nope you added in something I didn't.

"and a third sentence stating that you were curious to see if your Beetle was going to do what your Passat did."

All I said is I will see what the Beetle does. Just 3 statements no comparisons.
Old February 14th, 2018, 14:46   #22
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nope you added in something I didn't.

"and a third sentence stating that you were curious to see if your Beetle was going to do what your Passat did."

All I said is I will see what the Beetle does. Just 3 statements no comparisons.
There's something peculiar about this particular forum that I never see anywhere else, and of which I fall into myself, about nitpicking the most ridiculous points in posts.

That culture seems to have been well cemented before I joined and presumably will persist long after I'm gone. So with that out of the way, let's see what we can see:

"My old 2013 Passat made it at least 10k between fills. I will see if this one does." is literally a comparison between whether your Beetle is going to do what your Passat did.

If you wrote, "I will see if this one does." in a vacuum no one would know what you are even talking about. If you actually did write, "I will see what my Beetle does" (you didn't, but you write in this latest post that you did), no one would know what you were waiting to see your Beetle do.

If you wanted a non-comparative, stand-alone statement it would have to be written thusly, "I am curious to see how much Ad-Blu my 2015 Beetle consumes." If that was your intention the inclusion of your 2013 Passat's Ad-Blu consumption in the same paragraph is superfluous in addition to being a non-sequitur to the question of how much your Beetle consumes.

Now you have a complimentary English composition lesson from your local professor. What you do with it, however, remains to be seen...
Old February 14th, 2018, 15:05   #23
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Everyone always enjoys a spelling/grammar/English lesson on the forums. Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:44   #24
740GLE
Veteran Member

There are lots of technical topics, without specific precise details, information gets skewed and its tough to peg down possible solutions.

I've been digging through the EA888 Gen3 1.8T information, its just as frustrating the engine assembly of the Jetta/Passan't isn't 100% same as the Golf, this causes a lot of of confusion as well.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:23   #25
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

If the car has really lost nearly half its power, there is a major problem somewhere. If the dealer can't find and fix the problem, I'd sell the car. Maybe see if they have any other fixed tdi's on the lot they'd let you use for a day or two for comparisons sake.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote