HELP!!!Oil Light BEEPING and coming ON!

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
HELP!
Car was in shop 7 days for Fuel cutoff valve and something UNCLEAR about the turbo-
Last 2 times I started car Oil light came on and BEEPED twice-
I am ready to rip VW a vowel!
Car has 35K miles- another 10 on VW assured warranty- what is my best plan of action!

M

mickey

Take it back and tell them to attach the turbo supply and drain lines properly. In fact, make them TOW it in. It shouldn't be driven.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

If the dips changed the oil and forgot to install the little rubber sealing ring on the bottom of the A4 oil filter canister, the oil pressure will be low and set off the light when revved over 1,500 rpm due to lack of proper oil pressure.

Squeal bloody murder!

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90
Skypup, you did mean over 1500rpm? This would mean the light is sensive to rpms, since when at 1500 rpm there is more pressure than at idle. I knew BMW had this on their 320d, but I didn't know about our TDIs. Are you sure / am I misunderstood?

S

SkyPup

YES, that is exactly correct, you must rev past 1,500rpm for the ECU to check the oil pressure and the light and buzzer to come on indicating there is not any.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
This happened to my GF today- she said that car started beeped twice and light went on.
She said that it didnt do it again....

How can I convey my seriousness to VW that I am not going to let them brush this off- I should not be hearing/seeing that light for 200K+ miles.

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyPup:
you must rev past 1,500rpm for the ECU to check the oil pressure and the light and buzzer to come on indicating there is not any.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hell! That's not what I was thinking about. But what is the point in this? To make sure your engine is almost half dead before warning you? Got any idea?
Thanks mine has a low level indicator, though a lack of pressure may come from many other things.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
I calls the VW dealer- my A/C condenser is in- good news-
I tell them about the oil light coming on and beeping- he was first like "Well, the light goes out,right,must be OK."
He asked me if there was OIL in car- I said that it was changed by dealer last week!!!
I told him "NO!, not OK". I told him car only has 34K on it- when car has 334K then the oil light can do what it wants!
I can drop car off on Monday = and MAYBE they will look at it....
I tried to convey the SEVERITY of this to guy at VW (not usual guy I talk to) I will be damned if they brush this off!!!

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
For all the newbies to VW's. VW has had dual oil pressure warning systems since around 1985. They use 2 sensors, one for oil pressure in general and another from the cylinder head, the farthest from the pump, that setts the buzzer and light off at highter RPM's when the pressure getts low for that RPM, not a total loss of pressure.

valois

Banned
98 and earlier A3's and B4's had dual oil senders, one for low oil pressure, one for high oil pressure ( as described by sypup above, but the speed is more like 2000 rpms, the switch must close or you get the warning. THe later models 99 and later Jetta/golfs and all the New beetles have just a single sender that triggers only at 2000 rpms. below that you will never get an indicator for low oil. I recommend testing the harness when doing routine maintenance.Make sure the indicator works, it may save your engine someday, I also recommend an oil pressure guage, if you "T" it off the supply line of a bypass filter you can actually quantify when the bypass needs to be changed, as pressure will increase.

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
All I want is to be able to drive this car at LEAST 200K- Geez- I am a follower of John Muir and his How TO Keep Your VW Alive-
Oil Light= bad news-
I really hope it is just a bad sensor- but it hasn't done it in a while-
I don't want my motor to blow at like 70K- will be mad- I don't know what the drivetrain coverage is for the VW Assured (used) warranty-

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
So, I call the dealer to schedule an appointment- remember this seemed to happen AFTER I got car serviced........

Guy at desk said they could not schedule appt for a WEEK- then he told me that if the OIL light is coming on then I should NOT DRIVE CAR- it just comes on for a second after startup and goes BING BING BING-

Now I am afraid that if engine DOES burn out they will tell me "Well,we told you so, so it isn't covered."
I called VWOA to file case #- I don't think it will make much good

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
'98 NB's have a tendency to flash oil light at morning startup, usually on cool, damp days. Six beeps. Light goes off and doesn't do it again the rest of the day.

This is sporadic. Sometime it happens a couple of times within a week. Other times it's been a (long) while.

I have been told by many sources, including the regional guy, that this is not something to be worried about.

I don't know if you're experiencing this yourself, but it sure sounds familiar.

My $.02

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: BeetleGo ]

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
That sounds like it exactly....I still don;t like it.
All I wanted to do was to get car in a little earlier than A WEEK!-
Car was in shop for 6 days 2 weeks ago- Fuel cutoff solenoid among other things- Car NEVER beeped before last service/oilchange.
I could get further MYSELF with a Vag-Com......can't wait until warranty is over!!!!
Car seems to consistently come back from shop in WORSE SHAPE! Last time car left shop in LIMP MODE!

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: banzai ]

banzai

Veteran Member
TDI
NB TDI
Update;
Car has been in shop since MONDAY-will be there tomorrow- I asked for loaner last nite-got 97 gasser Jetta (GF hates it-1970's interior she says)
BAD OIL SENSOR- so all is good- they are replacing it.
Car was in shop 8 days last time- and now looks like FULL WEEK-