Bluetooth Dual Phones

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Is it feasible to pair two phones to the 510 phone system?
(Mine and my wife's) that might both be in the car at the same time?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not that i'm aware.

MIB 2 allows two phones to be conneted, only really useful for incoming calls, but only one to be primary for streaming music, you have to manually toggle the other if you want to stream music.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Thanks. I take it that I should be able to pair two phones. I don't wish to do anything except receive calls. I always leave my phone in the car, permanently connected. But when my wife is in the car with her phone in her handbag, it would be desirable for her to be able to receive calls via bluetooth, particularly when she is driving.

If two phones are paired, and both in the car, and I wish to make a call, would one of the phones take priority? Or is it not possible to make a call?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I cannot comment exactly how Volkswagen does it, but Mercedes only allows one to be paired to the car at a time, even though you can program several into the system. The way they do it is when more than one is detected, whichever was the last one paired takes priority.

I would assume most of them work the same way for phone calls. But I would read your manual as it may have some better information for your car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I take it that I should be able to pair two phones. I don't wish to do anything except receive calls. I always leave my phone in the car, permanently connected. But when my wife is in the car with her phone in her handbag, it would be desirable for her to be able to receive calls via bluetooth, particularly when she is driving.

If two phones are paired, and both in the car, and I wish to make a call, would one of the phones take priority? Or is it not possible to make a call?

Both my wife's and my phone sync with the system, but not at the same time. Her's is selected first, i believe it's because hers is first in the system as it was the first phone synced originally, and the system just goes down the list, looking for phone 1 then 2 then 3.

For me to receive calls from the system when we're both in the car, I have to manually disconnect her phone then the system will connect to mine.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
You should be able to select which phone has priority. If you're phone is always in the car but you want hers to override it when she's using your car, then set hers as the top priority. if she's not there, then the system will look for the next activated phone. The only issue might come in when you're in the drive and the system picks up her phone in the house.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Also, you should be able to choose which phone is connected from the dashboard computer display thingy. (Caveat: I have the non-navigation "510" radio, maybe yours is different.)

BTW, I don't know of any car that allows two phones at once - I used to carry two cell phones and it was a pain in the butt. However, nearly all cars will let you pair multiple phones and switch between.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, you should be able to choose which phone is connected from the dashboard computer display thingy. (Caveat: I have the non-navigation "510" radio, maybe yours is different.)

BTW, I don't know of any car that allows two phones at once - I used to carry two cell phones and it was a pain in the butt. However, nearly all cars will let you pair multiple phones and switch between.
I believe MIB2 of our Alltrack will have two phones connected, ie nothing needs to be done to receive incoming calls from either phone, it seamlessly swaps between the two. If we want to stream bluetooth music, you'd need to swap via the infotainment system.