Front End Accident; SEL to R-Line Bumper Swap

dbs600

TDI
2017 VW Passat 1.8T SEL Premium
Hi everyone; long time; hope all is well.

Someone hit into the left side edge of my front bumper, perpendicularly, as shown as follows:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=816753&d=1536106657

2017 Passat SEL, but thinking to have the R-Line front bumper installed.
It is an easy swap or is more than just a different bumper cover involved? Anyone have a parts list for what would be needed (different than what’s on the SEL)?

Also, for those who’ve completed the swap; what did you do with your fog lights, tape up the wiring? Any error lights? Any option to keep the fog lights with the R-Line bumper; something OEM without modifying parts?

Last, is the only difference at the rear between the SEL and the R-Line the rear bumper diffuser or is the bumper cover different too? If just the diffuser, anyone have the part number for that as well?

Would like to paint the chrome trim at the lower portion of the doors and rear bumper, but not sure if they easily unclip or if removing them might cause damage and new trim would be needed. :|

Thank you very much!

dbs600

TDI
$6,500 estimate w/ $2k in supplements likely; so not totaled, or should it be?

Was stopped at an intersection. Other car speeding in 10 mph zone, which hit my car perpendicularly, at a right angle.

Note force and direction of impact; all shifted to the right, not pushed back / in.

In all, wondering what I should do w/ the bumper; same or R-Line. Would like to keep the fog lamps, but R-Line looks better, right? :|

Thanks.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
If its the other persons fault and they have insurance your car should go to a VW body shop where they will tear it down and look for other problems, ask them your questions. This is if you want it fixed right or close to right.

Once insurance gets involved your car gets listed on car-fax. Your $27000 car is now worth $15000, its called diminished value. You have to fight the insurance company to get the difference.

Believe I would be more worried about that then what bumper I can put on it.

much easier if they total it.

dbs600

TDI
Thanks, gentlemen.

Yes, other party's fault.

I want to go in prepared to the body shop with what they need because they don't like putting different parts on in the first place.

Lease, so not concerned with diminished value / to have it totaled. I have a good lease rate I don't want to lose / have to negotiate again.

Plus there's news that VW just dropped the SEL for 2019, so I'd be sol. Why!? idk. :(

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Being a lease, doesn't it need to have the SEL bumper? I had not heard about the removal of the sel trim line for '19, i love my sel :)

dbs600

TDI
Doubt lease turn-in inspection would realize R-Line bumper.

I've turned in cars with tinted windows and badging removed without issue.

R-Line bumper would possibly even be considered an 'upgrade'. ;)

Otherwise, yes, no more SEL. :|

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1118563_2019-vw-passat-lineup-pared-v-6-and-gt-dropped

What's wrong with VW?

Should be a base Passat S and a loaded Passat SEL, both of which with R-Line as an OPTION. R-Line should not be a 'line'!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
People don't want a 25mpg V6 and Im guessing sales have shown that. Also I'm sure the Tenn. plant is spewing Atlas's where the Passat is going on its 7th year with a mild cosmetic refresh in 2016 and getting long in the tooth.

"Mid-size sedan sales have slid almost across the board this year as buyers flock to crossover SUVs. Sales of the Passat were off 34 percent during the first seven months of 2018 compared to last year. In contrast, the automaker's Tiguan crossover SUV that went on sale last year is now its best-selling vehicle in the U.S."

Also they prob want to par down the "top line powerful sport sedan" Passat to have people looking at the Aerton, which is mighty eye catching, and darn reasonably priced around 40K.

As for the R line bummer, talk to the shop that's doing the work and if they are game I'm sure insurance won't care as long as the price is inside the quote.

dbs600

TDI
Yes, agreed; was no need for V6 or GT at that.

Otherwise, thank you.

Dealer parts department states both bumpers are the same price! ;)

Think I may stick with what I have now, however, as US R-Line bumper doesn't have PDC sensor cut outs. :|