www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old August 24th, 2018, 05:49   #1
tigercreek

Default 2011 Sportwagen Radio Replacement

The factory radio on our 2011 Sportwagen died and we want to replace it with an aftermarket radio.
I'm pretty tech savvy and a DIYer but I'm trying to avoid problems and an ill-advised purchase.

Every replacement that I have looked at only adds to my confusion - especially where the XM radio is concerned.

Example - is the XM radio tuner contained in the factory unit itself or is it mounted within the harness?
We just want a no-frills double-din replacement radio that has Bluetooth (hands-free phone), allows us to retain the steering wheel controls, lets us continue to use XM radio, and retains factory harness connections. We don't "need" anything else.
Help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated
tigercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 06:12   #2
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I had my radio die recently as well, the XM module is part of the main board, so if you want to keep satellite radio you will need to get a radio that has it, or an aftermarket add on. I went cheap with a Chinese market vw radio, my Bluetooth and steering wheel controls work fine, it was plug and play, fit and finish looks fine, but no satellite. there is a guy on here that will sell you what you need with the satellite Barry 82 or something iirc just make sure if you buy a used (take out) you get the security code so you can unlock it.
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)

Last edited by ihatespeed; August 25th, 2018 at 07:03.
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 12:34   #3
PRY4SNO

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Have a link for the Chinese radio?

Mine died last week and I'm not ready to upgrade to an RNS-510 yet. Found a stock replacement locally for $150, so unless there's better for the same or less I'll just keep it OEM and hope the new (used) radio doesn't similarly crap out.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 18:16   #4
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I thought I got it through ebay, but maybe amazon, im still looking, but it was about 150, so if you can find a good stocker for that Id go for it, then at least you will still have xm

Found it, was amazon, so far so good quality and function, amazon says I bought it june of 17, guess it was longer ago than I thought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)

Last edited by ihatespeed; August 25th, 2018 at 18:20.
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 04:14   #5
tigercreek

Thanks. The XM information is especially helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatespeed View Post
I had my radio die recently as well, the XM module is part of the main board, so if you want to keep satellite radio you will need to get a radio that has it, or an aftermarket add on. I went cheap with a Chinese market vw radio, my Bluetooth and steering wheel controls work fine, it was plug and play, fit and finish looks fine, but no satellite. there is a guy on here that will sell you what you need with the satellite Barry 82 or something iirc just make sure if you buy a used (take out) you get the security code so you can unlock it.
Old August 26th, 2018, 20:08   #6
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

The BEST (IMHO) path to this, at least cost and least hassle is buy a good genuine USED unit (not from dealer). What radio do you have?????

My 2010 JSW RCD510 had sudden death syndrome. I bought a used one from a 2014. The newer later model RCD510 had back up camera capability, and digital radio which I love and my old RCD did not have. I have not connected the backup camera yet. I recall I only paid $300-$350 from a TDI forum member? If you get a used radio you MUST HAVE the 4 digit unlock code.

Two other radios that came in 2010-2014 VW TDI JSW, RNS510 and RNS315. I don't care for OEM GPS. My Garmin is mounted to my far right drive vent, has free updates, voice command and current data base of places, services, businesses.... I love my RDC510, does everything I want... It took me 10 minutes to swap them out.

I would NOT go eBay China VW "clone" route. It will not work on USA radio station frequencies. If it is a China Nav unit, good luck. China also makes some double DIN replacements that don't try and look like a VW unit, with all kinds of feature (so it appears). I have not read great things about them. They don't work like you think they will. They are cheap.

Dealers like Chrutchfield have a bunch of aftermarket radios that "fit" the double DIN size, and it will be expensive and integration hit and miss, especially as you say with XM radio. I looked into it. To even get something close was going to be $1000-$1200.

Again I got a newer OEM unit and installed it in 10 minutes. Keep in mind I have 5 disk CD, SD card, iPod control, Bluetooth streaming, XM radio and Digital terrestrial radio... What more do you want? I recommend you also go OEM, it will work, look good, and if get a later version like I did, it will have better features (and hopefully not have defect that makes them die). If you had a non NAV RCD and want to upgrade to a RNS, this is the time to do it. My replacement I think was installed about 3 yrs ago. Still working great.

I still have by beloved dead RCD-510. What bothers me is not knowing what fails? How hard is it to fix? I bet not very. I could be wrong, might be a proprietary chip. I poked around my radio, checked power supply. However with out specs and manual it is hard to repair in the blind. It is super simple modular design like a PC, a few boards, CD module, display connected with ribbon strips. There is a lot of air in these radios.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; August 26th, 2018 at 20:32.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2018, 03:20   #7
tigercreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
The BEST (IMHO) path to this, at least cost and least hassle is buy a good genuine USED unit (not from dealer). What radio do you have?????

My 2010 JSW RCD510 had sudden death syndrome. I bought a used one from a 2014. The newer later model RCD510 had back up camera capability, and digital radio which I love and my old RCD did not have. I have not connected the backup camera yet. I recall I only paid $300-$350 from a TDI forum member? If you get a used radio you MUST HAVE the 4 digit unlock code.

Two other radios that came in 2010-2014 VW TDI JSW, RNS510 and RNS315. I don't care for OEM GPS. My Garmin is mounted to my far right drive vent, has free updates, voice command and current data base of places, services, businesses.... I love my RDC510, does everything I want... It took me 10 minutes to swap them out.

I would NOT go eBay China VW "clone" route. It will not work on USA radio station frequencies. If it is a China Nav unit, good luck. China also makes some double DIN replacements that don't try and look like a VW unit, with all kinds of feature (so it appears). I have not read great things about them. They don't work like you think they will. They are cheap.

Dealers like Chrutchfield have a bunch of aftermarket radios that "fit" the double DIN size, and it will be expensive and integration hit and miss, especially as you say with XM radio. I looked into it. To even get something close was going to be $1000-$1200.

Again I got a newer OEM unit and installed it in 10 minutes. Keep in mind I have 5 disk CD, SD card, iPod control, Bluetooth streaming, XM radio and Digital terrestrial radio... What more do you want? I recommend you also go OEM, it will work, look good, and if get a later version like I did, it will have better features (and hopefully not have defect that makes them die). If you had a non NAV RCD and want to upgrade to a RNS, this is the time to do it. My replacement I think was installed about 3 yrs ago. Still working great.

I still have by beloved dead RCD-510. What bothers me is not knowing what fails? How hard is it to fix? I bet not very. I could be wrong, might be a proprietary chip. I poked around my radio, checked power supply. However with out specs and manual it is hard to repair in the blind. It is super simple modular design like a PC, a few boards, CD module, display connected with ribbon strips. There is a lot of air in these radios.
Before we do anything we are checking to see if the radio is covered under our extended warranty. If not our first option is a good used unit like you described.
Old August 27th, 2018, 09:35   #8
Michael B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercreek View Post
Before we do anything we are checking to see if the radio is covered under our extended warranty. If not our first option is a good used unit like you described.
I don't think the radio counts as being under any warranty. My radio in my 2010 died last year and I bought an aftermarket one. I didn't realize, though, that the aftermarket radio would not connect to the middle console where an iPod would be plugged in, so now my iPod has to be plugged in from inside the glovebox. Now the middle console is pretty useless.
Michael B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:17   #9
andykurz

TDI(s): shopping

Any aftermarket radio will work. Single DIN, Double DIN, whatever. You need adapters to connect to steering wheel controls, antenna and existing wiring and a kit to make it fit in the dash. Retailers will often include this (sonicelectronix.com for example). Buy a radio that has the features you want: touchscreen vs. buttons, XM, BT, DVD, whatever.

You can also use an OEM one, though it will likely have fewer features.

I had a basic single DIN in my 2010 and did not have a steering wheel control adapter. It had bluetooth and all the features I needed and worked great. Very straightforward install on these cars.
andykurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2018, 17:28   #10
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykurz View Post
You can also use an OEM one, though it will likely have fewer features.

I had a basic single DIN in my 2010 and did not have a steering wheel control adapter. It had bluetooth and all the features I needed and worked great. Very straightforward install on these cars.
What features does an aftermarket radio have that a OEM RCD510 does not have? I can't think of anything. RCD510 =

SD Card
Bluetooth
5 Disk CD
Digital Radio
Backup Camera
Steering Wheel Controls
Sirius XM receiver and control
Phone & Phone directory integration control
iPod connectivity (center console) and control via cable not BT

Yes some aftermarkets connect to the steering wheel, but they fall down with other integrated features the OEM has, like Sirius XM, iPod control by direct cable, backup camera...

Remember this is a CAN BUS car and the OEM radio will not throw codes and can advise if there are faults. Aftermarket? Don't think so.

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 08:26   #11
andykurz

TDI(s): shopping

? I didn't make any comparisons to the OEM unit. ?

Aftermarket radios work great, I love mine. Some people prefer the features of newer radios like carplay, DVD, android auto, etc.
andykurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 23:16   #12
garreth5

TDI(s): jetta

Does anyone have an Android radio in their car? If yes, where did you get yours?
garreth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2018, 18:53   #13
hamilgs
Veteran Member

SOLD!! tigercreek; I know you said you were looking for an aftermarket radio. However, if you change your mind, I have an RCD-510 (just like the one which died) for sale; it came out of my '14 JSW. See this link if interested:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=492471
'14 JSW MT6 TDI

Last edited by hamilgs; October 5th, 2018 at 18:25.
hamilgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 11:35   #14
ourvw

Just fyi I can't recommend https://www.eurozonetuning.com enough for a new radio. Our 2011 Sportwagen we just bought had a dead radio, VW dealer gave me $1k off to replace it. Found eurozone that had them for like $180 or so for the newer model that doesn't go bad, comes with code, SAT, HD radio and cd changer. They are OEM refurbs. Took about 10 days to get and packed amazing. And no I didn't get asked or paid to write this.
ourvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 15:18   #15
av8r

Fuel Economy: 101,500 Miles Avg 38.5 MPG

Just put my OEM RNS510 in the classifieds today. My 2010 Jetta came with the RCD510 and died. Replaced it with the NAV/SAT radio factory upgrade with form fit and function and was quite pleased. Search for upgrading your RCD to the RNS - you wont be disappointed with the upgrade. Good luck.

Link to upgrade: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/r...n-in-a-mk5-vw/

Last edited by av8r; October 2nd, 2018 at 16:44. Reason: added link
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote