Success! - ALLTRACK Springs on Mk7 Sportwagen TDI = 2" Lift!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Product says 1.5" lift all around. So the perception of "level" should be about the same.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I looked at heavier springs, but then decided to go with AirLift bags in my Mk7 GSW and couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. This allow me to dial in ride height depending on whether I'm empty (8psi), or with a full load of tools, plus rack and bike(s) on the back (18-20psi).
$100USD, plus ~90minutes for installation (and I had no idea what I was doing - figured it out as I went).

Thread here in the Mk7 sub- somewhere.
(Edit: Here's one quick link that member Discovery posted, linked to a :30sec video he took showing what it looks like)

(Edit2: Here's the one I was thinking of; actually over in the Mk6 sub-forum, but part# and process exactly the same)

Last edited:

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
Product says 1.5" lift all around. So the perception of "level" should be about the same.
The product page at IDParts actually says "These springs will lift the rear of your Golf Sportwagen by about 1.5 inches." Then in the FAQ, the answer to "Is the front lifted?" is "Yes, the front does get a lift"... but it doesn't give any specifics as to how much.

I've emailed IDParts about it. When I asked whether the vehicle will be level they said "The vehicle will not be be level. The spring set is designed to be used when carrying weight in the back of the vehicle like cargo or tools. With added weight in the rear the vehicle would sit level." When i asked about how much the front is lifted, they said "They will lift the front around 1 inch".

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was looking at the description for the set, which says it lifts the vehicle about 1.5", doesn't specify front and rear lifts. The person you spoke to is probably correct. Maybe someone here has a photo of their car empty so you could see what it will look like.

salth20diver

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
I lifted mine using ID parts springs, added the Kona shocks they recommended and increased the profile of my tires from 45 to 55. I do a lot of SCUBA diving and with 4 steel 100CF tanks and 2 peoples dive gear the back end does level out. And yes, I've noticed a reduced MPG but the ride and stance though, may not be for everybody is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
IndigoBlueWagon I see the spring set is on "clearance" for $188 at IDParts... is it being discontinued, or replaced with something else, or...? Just curious.

And thank you, and 740GLE, Nuje and salth20diver, for your input!

danski0224

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Wheat Beige
I did this "upgrade" 9 months ago, and added Bilstein struts and shocks. The Bilsteins were for a "stock replacement", not the lowered suspension version.

Both shafts for the front struts snapped in half under the lock nut.

Fortunately, it literally happened backing my car out of the driveway. Massive front end clunking making a *** moment.

I would NOT recommend this swap, at least for the fronts.

This forum does not allow picture uploads.

Go here: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/al...3-2021-not-recommended.9405987/post-114971263

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here are the images from your Vortex thread (I just copied the URLs and pasted them here).

The look of those bolts, and the fact that both of them went at the same time - there was clearly something that went wrong with the installation. I would think that the nuts themselves would strip if they were over-torqued too much, but if the springs weren't sitting in their perches properly such that the shaft of the strut was not traveling straight up/down but instead was facing some side-loading...that'd make some sense to me.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
A sportwagon with just rear raised would visually give a nice rake look. headlight adj is in order but handling using koni special actives should be just fine. Fiddling with front height can and will affect geometry. A good way to see what would happen is to put car on alignment rack and jack from the subframe till you have the 2" increase and watch what happens with the readings.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I need to measure FTG but to my eyes my rear is a little higher than the front. I didn't measure the DCC rear struts but someone over on GolfMk7 mentioned they might be longer than our torsion beam specced rear dampers. I dunno, I like the look though. I can't get it out of my head that the driver side is a little low ever since I installed that 5,000lb larger group size battery though :unsure:.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I really think lifting the rear only has no detrimental effect on handling, especially using koni's active. the stock dampers are real crap.

Dirty Nails

TDI
2003 Golf tweeked, 2015 Sportswagen semi stock
I wanted more load capacity in the back without the 2" lift on a standard Sportwagen so I ordered Alltrack 54789 sport springs from Urotuning. https://www.urotuning.com/H-R-Sport-Springs-Mk7-Golf-Alltrack-Sportwagen-p/54789.htm Alltrack Sport springs are supposed to lower the Alltrack but Alltrack stock springs are supposed to raise the standard sportwagen so I hoped the net difference would cancel out. The springs fit great and the resulting ride height (floor to top of wheel arch) is 26-3/4" high. No handling problems - drives as good or better than stock. New springs seem to have less sag when loaded with passengers in the back.

You can install these without a spring compressor in the back but I had to remove 3 bolts to get the swing arm low enough to remove:
1) sway bar
2) shock
3) lower arm knuckle
Don't forget to unclip the brakeline clips

Dirty Nails

TDI
2003 Golf tweeked, 2015 Sportswagen semi stock
2015 TDI Sportswagen 16" wheels stock springs broke at first wrap & stealership says my Vin is not in the recall 42J2 GRRRRRRRRRR
No one stocks springs for this car. Advice on using the Alltrack ear springs. Any part numbers & mfgs?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I installed Air lift 80753 in our Alltrack, have had them in for about 2+ years, only issues was a slightly leaky Schrader valve, that just needed its core tightened. I usually run around 10-15 PSI year round and it give a 1/2" in the back, I can go 3-4 months with out checking and they haven't dropped a PSI. I'll jack it up a few more PSI if the bike rack goes on or i'm planning on carrying heavy loads.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - I did likewise with the 80753 AirLift "bags" (there's a thread here somewhere), and they're great. Recommend them to anyone who carries a bike rack off the back, or even just hauling a lot of gear/bodies - rides much nicer with a load, and easy to adjust depending on load.

(Edit: Found the thread over in the Mk6 forum; same part, same process to install)

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
@
Dirty Nails

What are the symptoms of a broken rear spring (if any)?
And how would I go about checking this out, website or is a call to the dealer in order?
Hearing some strange noises in the rear end as of lately albeit quiet ones. Was thinking about the idparts rear springs for sure as putting any weight in the rear kills all the suspension travel before you hit the bump stops.

edit: checked the vw recall page but nothing comes up. Silly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What are the symptoms of a broken rear spring (if any)?
And how would I go about checking this out, website or is a call to the dealer in order?
Hearing some strange noises in the rear end as of lately albeit quiet ones. Was thinking about the idparts rear springs for sure as putting any weight in the rear kills all the suspension travel before you hit the bump stops.
Look under the car. It'll be easier if you can get it up in the air a bit on ramps or jack stands, but you should be able to see if a spring is broken. Often the last few inches at the ends break off, and you'll see a jagged end or the spring won't sit correctly in the top or bottom buffer. You can compare left to right to see if what you're looking at is normal.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Just installed the rear alltrack springs from idparts, ride quality is amazing with the red Koni actives.

Only concern of mine would be topping out the rear shocks, other than that no complaints. Vehicle feels more planted and no more noises. My original springs had developed some rust on them it appears. With regard to the topping out, the only way to be sure is to measure shaft length of the oem shock absorber vs the koni actives. Provided the shaft is at least 1/2in longer it would be fine but I have not noticed anything negative so far. I wonder what the shaft length on the alltrack rear shocks are?

With my original springs, I had roughly 1.25-1.5 inches of travel left before hitting the bump stops with an empty vehicle which was strange. Any added cargo would result in riding the bump stops on even minor bumps (not very sport wagen like)

Update: took the car and tried to get a smidge of air on a certain private road in town and did not notice the rear shocks topping out, will likely not be an issue. I am interested in lifting the front 1-1.5 inches. I am wondering if I should stay with the oem sachs, go with koni special actives, bilstein b4's or b6's (provided I use front alltrack springs) and what the respective shaft lengths of those are. Spacers sound cool but very pricey for just a lift.

I found these 20mm front spacers on ebay from a guy in Russia, his post says they would work on most of the MQB cars. They look like 3D printed plastic possibly so that still seems cheap he wants $50 for them. I'd much rather get a US made aluminum part for around ~$125 range. I just want to lift the front in a safe manner so if anyone has options chime in. If the alltrack front springs will be safe with konis etc that works with me. I understand the options are somewhat limited.

edit: found this post (#37) on the vortex.

Shaft length on the stock rears vs alltrack shocks are the same but the body is slightly longer for a heavier duty shaft bearing; Obviously I would suppose Koni shocks are built better than oem and would be suitable and cause no issues. Especially if you have a tow hitch installed which adds preloaded weight to the rear. If you want to go crazy you can get atlas shocks along with the corresponding mounts, but be aware of extra unlocked downward travel potentially pulling on the brake line and speed sensor cable. I did the front koni actives the other day and boy was than an involved install. Ill just go up a tire size for more lift if I crave more in the future. Now I can load up the rear with heavy things and feel confident and comfortable on the road without sagging!

Last edited:

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Just found out Bilstein recently started making alltrack specific rear dampers with PN#19-274195 for the B4, and they also make a B6. Would likely pair great with the alltrack rear springs and they are designed for the higher ride height and massively cheaper than going to atlas rear shocks. The alltrack specific fronts will not be compatible do the the knuckle size, however. I'll give them a shot, and keep the koni special actives in the garage for if I ever decide to lower the rear end. I'll report my findings, massive road trip coming up on the 15th through some terrible Oklahoma roads ;)

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Just got them delivered and it looks as they don’t fit. The bottom end bushing is too wide. I will guess atlas shocks wouldn’t actually fit for the same reason also. This looks like it would work if your ride has the MK7 IRS instead of the beam axle. The alltrack b4 shocks are definitely 3/4 inch longer on the shock body vs the koni special actives but overall length looks to be the same. Edit: actually 1 inch shorter

If one were to shave down the end bushing it would bolt on but i won’t be pursuing that. You'd need a lathe or lots of sandpaper (maybe a bench grinder?), Or could get the correct width bushings pressed in. Would be better to get 1 inch shaft extenders for the koni special actives IMO (which I would be interested in)

Edit: sent it and shaved the bushings down and I was about to throw it on and realized the shock actually has less travel. LOL. The Konis will be just fine. They are so sturdy, heavy and built well.

Last edited: