Pinch strips/welds repair

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
What's the correct way to fix a damaged pinch strip? The car was lifted at the wrong spot, and the pinch strip separated and bent a little. I know you can just spray some undercoat and be done with it, but what's the right way to fix it (at home)?

I was thinking of putting some metal glue between and clamping it until dry, then spray some rubber undercoat. I don't want it to rust down the road.

I don't know the best way to fix it, so I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks!

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
You generally have the right idea but instead of metal glue use 3M panel bonding adhesive 08115 or similar. Clean the pinch strip where it has separated and completely fill the area with the 3M adhesive, clamp tight and then let set up. Paint any remaining bare metal with a automotive type epoxy primer, then basecoat clearcoat system. Don't use the rubberized undercoat as that tends to separate over time and trap moisture.

What's the correct way to fix a damaged pinch strip? The car was lifted at the wrong spot, and the pinch strip separated and bent a little. I know you can just spray some undercoat and be done with it, but what's the right way to fix it (at home)?

I was thinking of putting some metal glue between and clamping it until dry, then spray some rubber undercoat. I don't want it to rust down the road.

I don't know the best way to fix it, so I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks!

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
You generally have the right idea but instead of metal glue use 3M panel bonding adhesive 08115 or similar. Clean the pinch strip where it has separated and completely fill the area with the 3M adhesive, clamp tight and then let set up. Paint any remaining bare metal with a automotive type epoxy primer, then basecoat clearcoat system. Don't use the rubberized undercoat as that tends to separate over time and trap moisture.

Thank you for the information. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk