www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 4th, 2018, 00:59   #16
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b757236 View Post
I have been very happy with the JSW 6speed TDI. Fix applied. They replaced the DPF and ERG. The car looks brand new even with 278,113 (as of this am). Original clutch. I do all the maintenance. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Couple of issues: AC compressor $700, HPFP replacement $2600.
CP3 for your HPFP replacement. Since you gotta take off the timing belt, might as well do your change early, and it'll be the same price, but trust me, it's a much better pump (have one on mine and don't ever regret it). As for the AC - google a company called Polar Bear Inc - RCV - these valves end up failing. Already replaced mine once. Got a second, hoping it fixes my no cool condition.

You're also at higher mileage than me. I'm almost at 226K, original DSG clutch pack as well. When it wears out, I'm going to do a 6MT swap.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2018, 20:28   #17
Billion003
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

When the new CP3 HPFP is installed is it necessary to continue with a fuel additive?

And since there are knowledgeable people reading here - at what mileage is the timing belt supposed to be changed? I'm thinking 120k.
Billion003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 20:35   #18
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

TB service interval is 120k miles / 193k km.

And I'm far from an expert, but I believe the lubricity additive has more to do with fuel quality than the pump. ULSD is not the best lubricant with all that sulphur removed.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 09:15   #19
Billion003
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

I understand that the ULSD fuel exhibits low lubricity but thought the original Bosch high pressure fuel pump was of such poor design and quality that the failures were caused by these issues.
Billion003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 18:35   #20
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Bosch's CP4 requires a wear scar of 460. USA diesel is required to be under 520.

Optilube XPD has been used in all 5 of my CR VW Diesels with no fuel pump issues yet.....
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 09:03   #21
k98shooter

Bought my 2014 JSW since with 34K miles on the clock 2 years ago and nearing 150K. Believe or not, but it still has factory original brake pads (I do 90% highway but still...). The only problem I had was melted fuse box in the cabin compartment. Fantastic car, fits my needs perfectly. After having DSG, I don't want to go back to manual. I change fluids regularly and the only excess is a fuel filter, which I replace with every oil change. DPF starts to clog up and this is going to be my next big project.
k98shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 09:41   #22
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

Like I've said before on this forum: when they pry my cold dead hands from the steering wheel.......48 k on clock, 72k /9years left on warranty
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2018, 19:05   #23
2013GolfHighlineTDI Wagon

Just bought a 1 owner, fully dealer serviced, Canadian 2013 Golf Wagon Highline with 80,000 kms (50,000 miles). A VW diesel refurb/fix unit. White out, black leather in. Looks new inside and out. 48 mpg in stop & go Toronto commuter traffic. Great feel, great ride, great sound. I love this car. I'm going to drive it until it rusts away on me... Then I'll find a new one...
2013GolfHighlineTDI Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 08:02   #24
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

My wife and I both love ours, minimal issues for me, none for hers so far, and that's 155k and 55k respectively. assuming I don't change jobs in the next 5 years ill have a tick over 250000, and unless something crazy happens I expect it will be around.
Andrew's 3rd generation (2Micron.com) return fuel filter, and Pure Flow HPFP modification, timing belt guard and the full Malone flashzilla / Buzzken stage2.0 eco treatment (bosal hitch and heavy springs for towing)
ihatespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 17:37   #25
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

I've had a 2011 4 door Golf 6spd for 4.5 years now and we just got my wife a 2014 JSW with a DSG yesterday. I freaking love TDIs and I hope that we will always have one or more around. I even swapped a BHW into our eurovan . My wife has turned into a total fuel mileage nerd with me as well and can't wait to start logging her own miles/mpg. She got exactly what she wanted, 1 owner, 33k miles, 7 year full extended CPO warranty for the price she wanted. I need to swap the CP3 into both cars at some point. But I think the big thing on hers will be a dieselgeek panzer plate first. And I'm planning on finding the 4mo stuff from Europe and making me a 4motion TDI/GTD once the van is finished.
Gone-2006 V10 Touareg TDI
DEAD-99.5 A4 Jetta, 349,919 miles RIPieces
iwannajettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 15:23   #26
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

I still have my 2010, JSW TDI and LOVE IT.... I had the mod done in March and got the money and 4K miles and 4 year warranty...
The car runs PERFECT and gets great millage, has low end torque (fun) and still get complements on how it looks...

I plan on keeping it for another 10 years or longer... I have added a second car, a Nissan Leaf for local committing but my TDI is still
the queen of my fleet. Took it on a 1600 mile vacation and it was great letting it run fast and free long distance.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; September 28th, 2018 at 20:48.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2018, 11:25   #27
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
I love my 2014 JSW, base model with the 6-speed. Great car. The only time I question buying it is when I wonder if I should have gotten a 2015 instead. I've never driven one and when I see a fancy one with the lighting package and a 6-speed I swoon a bit. Plus I am jealous of the mileage that they deliver. I stuck with the JSW vs. GSW largely because it was hard to find a 2015 with a manual trans, but also because I thought that in the long run it would be less expensive to keep on the road. Some people reported that the newer engines with urea injection were way over complicated. Who knows, but I do love my car and I'll love it more when I tune it someday.
My mom and my best friend (and his wife) have a 2015; mom has the GSW and the best friend has a Jetta sedan. They're nice, but I still prefer the Mk6, so I'm in the process of purchasing a 2013 CPO with a 6MT (even without a short shifter, it feels so good, and it's so weird having a 6th gear now). I like that there are more things for the Mk6 - CP3 (from darkside developments, anyways), Panzer plate, it's easier to work on (ever done an oil change on a Mk7).

I hate to say it, but I almost wish I were able to swap all my stuff from my 2010 to a 6MT car and trade it back in, but it still runs good at 225K, and I have a 6MT sitting in my driveway for that car anyways, waiting to be installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
I plan on keeping it for another 10 years or longer... I have added a second car, a Nissan Leaf for local committing but my TDI is still
the queen of my fleet. Took it on a 1600 mile vacation and it was great letting it run fast and free long distance.
Knowing us, it'll probably be longer. I wanted to take mine on some trips recently, but I've been having HVAC troubles. I'm waiting on a new comfort control module, hoping that might fix my problem, but I had the Golf in the meantime (currently at 299K).
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor

Last edited by pkhoury; September 30th, 2018 at 11:27.
Old September 30th, 2018, 15:28   #28
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

Well,I have had a Mk5 and now a MK4 .

I drove a MK6 wagon extensively thinking that was what I wanted
I drove stick and DSG and ONLY when I drove the MK7 back to back did I see the huge difference.

The 6 drives like a boat and feels huge
the 7 is nimble like my 4 and is rock solid tank like in its construction
Stock 7 sound system is damn good and the 7's warranty is super nice

love how I can see the hood on the 7 and its a nice view as well
love the remote seat releases in the back for the 7

and of course the 5-7 mpg better efficiency of the 7 doesnt hurt. In the DSG 6 I was never ever able to get better than 39 driving the way I usually do.

Never thought I would say it but the 7 is a better car all around.
Old October 1st, 2018, 11:12   #29
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

To each their own. I have a Stage 2 tune on mom's car, otherwise, everything else is stock, and it flies. But changing oil on the Mk6 is a helluva lot easier, and I haven't yet seen a metal skid plate for the Mk7. For me, that's essential, given the amount of large s#it I've ran over that would've otherwise destroyed my oil pan with a plastic skid plate.
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Old October 1st, 2018, 11:17   #30
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
...... I haven't yet seen a metal skid plate for the Mk7. For me, that's essential, given the amount of large s#it I've ran over that would've otherwise destroyed my oil pan with a plastic skid plate.

https://www.idparts.com/heavy-duty-a...YaAkENEALw_wcB