www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:27   #1
StressedYeti

Fuel Economy: 52 mpg hwy
Thumbs up New (to me) Mk6 Golf!

Just picked up a 2012 Mk6 golf TDI (with DSG) with 50k miles today after driving a Mk4 Jetta TDI for over 10 years!
Now that I have it, what is some knowledge and/or advice I should know?
(also, should I chip it?)
StressedYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 05:41   #2
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

You should consider selling it before emission issues and DSG issues drain you bank account. The 2009 through 2014 TDI cars should be avoided.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 08:33   #3
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Very nice. I love the color. Lighting package too. Does it have service records? You’ll want to make sure that the DSG service was done.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 08:41   #4
SkiBumJH

Sharp new ride. Way to stay in the fold.

Ignore the DB. SSDD for him
SkiBumJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 20:03   #5
StressedYeti

DSG was serviced.
Made sure of that before I bought it
Old September 3rd, 2018, 21:21   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Looks great! The common rail fuel systems are more finicky about fuel quality than your older tdi- I'd avoid high biodiesel blends. B2-B5 (2-5%)biodiesel blends are great, and beneficial due to enhanced lubrication.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2018, 00:02   #7
roadlust
Veteran Member

Good looking golf. I modify my cars...yes get a stage 2 tune for the engine and a tune for the DSG. It makes a huge difference better fuel economy.
Old September 5th, 2018, 22:02   #8
StressedYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadlust View Post
Good looking golf. I modify my cars...yes get a stage 2 tune for the engine and a tune for the DSG. It makes a huge difference better fuel economy.
They aren't something I can do myself, correct? How do I go about finding someone who can do it?
Old September 6th, 2018, 00:41   #9
roadlust
Veteran Member

It has to be done through the ECU by a tuner. I have found www.cascadegerman.com to have good prices and excellent customer service.

They are a malone dealer who is one of the best with MKVI TDIs.
Old September 6th, 2018, 07:32   #10
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Great color, congrats!!
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 03:37   #11
ksing44
Veteran Member

Hey, that looks a lot like my 2010! Good luck with your car!

My 2010 Golf TDI

on Flickr
2010 Golf TDI - (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP: 11/8/2016 @139,848 miles, The Fix: 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:11   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Great car! Congrats! Not sure what I could add that has not already been talked about on these forums quite a bit over the years. If it has had the "fix" done, you may elect to leave it be for now in case you need the generous warranty to fall back on. Your A4 car would also be a good thing to keep to fall back on too.

If you are not concerned with the warranty, it is up to you what you can or want to do, as well as any local laws that may make illegal modifications difficult or impossible to get away with.

Unfortunately the newer cleaner (yes, I said cleaner) cars are more fragile and have a lot more items that can go wrong. I would avoid driving the car hard during the warmup period, learn about DPF regen cycles and at least try to give the car every opportunity to run them. Avoid short trips if possible. The battery will have a shorter life than your previous car, partly because it is smaller yet has even more electronic loads to deal with, and partly because the underhood temps on the CR cars can get much, much higher. So be proactive about the battery. It hopefully has already been replaced at least once. If you live in an area that has rapid temp changes that drop just below freezing you may also want to read about the intercooler icing issue and proactively install a cold weather intercooler kit. Nobody wants bent rods.
Old September 7th, 2018, 14:48   #13
StressedYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Great car! Congrats! Not sure what I could add that has not already been talked about on these forums quite a bit over the years. If it has had the "fix" done, you may elect to leave it be for now in case you need the generous warranty to fall back on. Your A4 car would also be a good thing to keep to fall back on too.
If you are not concerned with the warranty, it is up to you what you can or want to do, as well as any local laws that may make illegal modifications difficult or impossible to get away with.
Unfortunately the newer cleaner (yes, I said cleaner) cars are more fragile and have a lot more items that can go wrong. I would avoid driving the car hard during the warmup period, learn about DPF regen cycles and at least try to give the car every opportunity to run them. Avoid short trips if possible. The battery will have a shorter life than your previous car, partly because it is smaller yet has even more electronic loads to deal with, and partly because the underhood temps on the CR cars can get much, much higher. So be proactive about the battery. It hopefully has already been replaced at least once. If you live in an area that has rapid temp changes that drop just below freezing you may also want to read about the intercooler icing issue and proactively install a cold weather intercooler kit. Nobody wants bent rods.
That's good to know!
I'm in a state/area that is very lax on emissions. Was thinking of deleting the DPF and EGR, but all in good time...
Old September 7th, 2018, 15:09   #14
StressedYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
Hey, that looks a lot like my 2010! Good luck with your car!
My 2010 Golf TDI

on Flickr
I really like your 5 spoke wheels!
Old September 7th, 2018, 18:29   #15
ksing44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedYeti View Post
I really like your 5 spoke wheels!
Thanks! My 2010 came with Portos. They were only 7" wide and the offset was also pretty high at ET54. I wanted to use bigger tires, 235/45/17, to fill my fenders a bit more and to get a bit more comfortable ride. I also wanted the get a bit wider stance. The wheels I have now are 17" x 7.5" ET47. The 7.5" wheel is better for the wider tires and I ended up with about a 1" wider stance. I also like the classic 5-spoke look. They're Monte Carlo wheels from a B6 Passat.

Your stock wheels are nicer than my original wheels. I think your Salamanca wheels are 17" x 7.5" ET51. I think the Salamanca also looks nicer than the Porto, even though the basic idea and number of spokes is similar. I don't think I would have changed my wheels if my car came with the Salamanca wheels like your car.

Salamanca

Porto

Monte Carlo
2010 Golf TDI - (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP: 11/8/2016 @139,848 miles, The Fix: 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow

Last edited by ksing44; September 7th, 2018 at 18:37.
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote