Is passing the redline bad?

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
Seems lately I've had a problem keeping the wheelspin down - all of a sudden it takes off and my RPM's run up to 5500 before I take my foot off the gas. This has only happened twice, but it's disconcerting.

Is that bad? I mean, of course it's not good - but - doesn't this thing have a govorner anywhere in red RPM range? Oh, I am Upsoluted. I hope they didn't completely remove the govorner, maybe it's just up around 5500 or so and I haven't actually hit it - I hope?

Aaron

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
There has been some discussion here about whether the Upsolute chip removes the governor, and I am sure one of the Upsolute reps on here can weigh in on the issue more athoritatively than me.

But in general, yes it is bad to overrev an engine, any engine. Somewhere up there every engine starts to float the valves, that is the springs can't close 'em fast enough. Again, that's any engine, gas, diesel, whatever. And on any engine, you run the risk of bending the valves and/or punching holes in the pistons when you do that.

In practice it is hard to do with the TDI because stock they do have a governor built into the ECU, but more particularly because they flat run out of steam so fast after 3800 rpm that nobody is likely to attempt to run 'em up there.

In any case, you should know you are taking your life -- er, your engine's life -- in your hands doing it. That said, you would know immediately if you had done any damage. I assume, of course, that you don't mind shortening your engine life in general with that lead foot.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I would hit the stock rev. limiter at 4900 before Upsolute chip now it,s around 52-5300 I would not worry unless you are doing it all the time.

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
This is only about the second time I've done it. Usually I'm a granny, but occasionally I get the urge to punch it, and when the tires spin, I seem to go way past redline. I thought I had bottomed out the RPM gauge! Well, almost . . .

I would be happier if there really was a govorner in there - but now I'll have to pay attention because I don't trust it to kick in. Guess I should be paying more attention regardless. In other cars when I've had excessive wheelspin in first gear, the governer keeps it at redline until the car catches up, then I jump to second gear. In this case - I'll actually have to let off the gas. I hate having to do that . . . !

M

mickey

Don't make a habit of it, but it's not instant disaster just to pass an arbitrary line on the tach.

It IS possible to completely destroy the engine if it revs too high, though. Gassers will reach the point of "valve float" and their speed will self-limit, but a diesel will fly apart long before the valves can float. Fooling the the fuel quantity adjustment in the injector pump can cause the engine to race out of control and throw rods out through the side of the case. (Just ask Turbo Steve.)

-mickey

valois

Banned
Originally posted by mickey:
Don't make a habit of it, but it's not instant disaster just to pass an arbitrary line on the tach.

It IS possible to completely destroy the engine if it revs too high, though. Gassers will reach the point of "valve float" and their speed will self-limit, but a diesel will fly apart long before the valves can float. Fooling the the fuel quantity adjustment in the injector pump can cause the engine to race out of control and throw rods out through the side of the case. (Just ask Turbo Steve.)

-mickey
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

I wonder what the "boost" was when that happened?