Alternator Pulley Loose - fix or replace?

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Silver 5spd
Hi All,

I had my alternator belt get all squeaky in the last day and finally came totally off while driving (no power steering).

The mechanic wondered how it came loose and showed me that the alternator pulley is no longer in-line with the other pulleys. It was shifted about 2 inches to the left(passenger side).

I saw a thread about R&R of the ALH alternator pulley but wondered if it's possible just to re-tighten it if it didn't completely fall off. I know I will need a new belt as old one has slightly damaged as it came off.

Mechanic said he will try to retighten it if possible. It's currently at VW Petrolero's shop Euro Tech Automotive but Tony was not in today so Sam(owner) is taking a look at it.

Thanks!

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Just thought I'd update you all. I was advised the pulley shaft was damaged and therefore would need a new alternator. Cost locally here was very high at $490(new). Since I do need it operational and can't wait for the online orders and special tools(I'd have to pay duties on such a larger purchase from US)... I bit the bullet. With a new belt and labour+tax will be about $830 :(

Perhaps the next time it happens I may try it differently if I'm not in a rush.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
The pulley has a one-way bearing inside it that eventually dies on many cars. This can allow the outer ribbed section to get misaligned. Usually the shaft is fine, they just need the special tool required to hold the shaft still (internally) while the old pulley hub is removed.

Anyway, yeah, bummer it cost so much. I won't travel without my Alt-pulley-tool. That little thing alone could save me hundreds of dollars one day.

Flipmode

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
I had the same thing happen but the pulley didn't fall all the way off, when I pulled the skid plate off there was metal particles on it from the pulley/alternator. I priced around and found a remanufactured one for $230, I figured by the time I bought a new pulley then either bought the tools or had a mechanic change it for me it might be close or around $100. Since the car had 160,000 Kms if I replaced the pulley and the alternator dies after a few 1,000 kms I would spend more money. I pulled the alternator out and when I spun it by hand I could feel a couple spots where it clicked so I figured it was a good thing I replaced it.

One other thing that made my decision easier is I could afford the car to sit for too many days.

Canadian Tire has them but make sure you specify 120 AMP alternator, they may tell you they don't even list it but you need to tell them to phone the depot because they do stock them there. 120 AMP alternators are used on manual cars.

We have a parts store here in town that I bought mine from because they actual had one in stock which surprised me.

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed and working perfectly so far. I was told it was a brand new alternator and I'm happy that it has a 1 year warranty. Putting the belt back on seemed to take longer than expected as the mechanic said it was a lot harder than other golfs he has worked on. Maybe because he changed the entire alternator with the pulley and didn't remove the pulley when installing the belt? I can't see how some people can change the pulley and belt in 20 minutes. There is hardly any room in this area with the intercooler(I think that the plastic squarish tubing between the TB and washer fluid) in the way. I'm assuming that needs to be removed.

Does anyone know if city driving and shorter trips put more wear and tear on the pulley? Does starting the engine cause the most torque and therefore wear on the clutch/bearings of this pulley?