WVO to Biodiesel

Tom Backman

TDI
2001 Jetta
My plan is to run biodiesel that I make and run it in my 1981 Pickup. I make it in the traditional way - gross filter, mix with KOH/Methenol mix, wash, dry, and then filter to 10 microns. I was wondering if others are running home brew biodiesel in their engines? How it performs, tips, cautions, process modifications etc.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I used to want to make my own so badly.... Now I let others make it properly.
Bio is easy to make. It's also easy to make incorrectly. I decided to not deal with that.
I'm fortunate that I have several sources of tax-paid B99 within easy driving distance so I have no incentive at all to make my own.

If the engine in your 81 truck is of that same era it is more tolerant of less-than-specification fuel than the newer direct injection engines and their much higher pressure and closer tolerance components. You could almost run the WVO with your engine as-is.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I use to make biodiesel 11 years ago. It's so damn messy I gave up on it. My golf ran fine on it, maybe a tad less power. Always wash your biodiesel.

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
Easy to make. I used to make it in 10 gallon batches so I never experienced any mess or maybe I did it differently. If diesel is 2.50 a gallon or less i dont think its worth your time to make it because youre going to spend 1-1.50$ in methanol to make 1 gallon. Add your time and other small costs like lye, water and electricity. Your car will run great on it.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Easy to make. I used to make it in 10 gallon batches so I never experienced any mess or maybe I did it differently. If diesel is 2.50 a gallon or less i dont think its worth your time to make it because youre going to spend 1-1.50$ in methanol to make 1 gallon. Add your time and other small costs like lye, water and electricity. Your car will run great on it.
It was messy for me no matter the quantity. Diesel is 1.95 near me but I go out of my way to get b5-20 which does cost more. Def not worth making your own if prices are low.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I had a 5 gallon setup I used for a few years. Then my oil source dried up and I stopped. At the time my commute was less than 5 miles and I used very little fuel and it was easy to make. Now my commute is 35 miles one way and I would have to have a bigger setup than before along with way more oil and supplies. Not happening now. Who knows what the future holds though.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
I ran Wvo for five years then jumped into my own home brew with domestic hot water heaters as my reactors.
It was fun but the mess the time the 55gallon drum of meth. hanging out in my shed in the Summer was a little dangerous! Then a Comercial biodiesel plant opened up less than a mile from me and then I lost my feed stock to those operations. That's when I said that was enough.
My kids have fond memories of Pops 500hp French fri mobile or on the right day of the month it would smell like General Tsos chicken lol! I still have a whole bunch of parts if any of you all are interested in trying the Wvo route. Or if interested Pm me I would be glad to offer advice..
R-

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have about 300 gallons of settled WVO. Most of it is quite old and may not be any good.

I too had intentions of doing bio but since I retired, I do very little driving compared to when I worked! 85 to 200 miles per day vs maybe 30 miles a couple of days per week now..

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
The first few years I owned my first TDI [the 02], I ran homebrew B100 [warm weather only] and diluted blends the rest of the year for 40k miles.
I made 10 gallon batches and washed washed washed and then dried dried dried.
The only issue I had was a plugged check valve in the lift pump one very cold winter, that I modified after that.
Life got too busy and I stopped brewing. Sold all my stockpiled wvo to a local industrial brewer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
AS long as I have the know how, that is what counts now. In a pinch I could throw something together and start making fuel again if need be. Just no real need now.