Mileage To Date-How Many Months-Major Issues?

gootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,05,white TIP
door rattle

500 miles, passengers side door rattle. 1st attempt did not fix it. It's as if they verify the problem, but not their solution.
Weird but true paulpas, have dealership lube front door hinge. I had a rattle in drivers side and I,after giving dealer a chance isolated a dry spot within drivers door hinge that after lubing disappeared. FWIW

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
First extended ride today with the family...130 miles (very pleased with 48mpg, cruising at 70, winter fuel, not broken itn yet!!)
Ambient about 32f, SYNC temp set to 72f, on AUTO mode. Fan shows 3 lights, and can be heard blowing air.

However, there is NO air coming out the dash vents, and all the air is on the floor, and perhaps some at the base of the windshield. Is this normal? If I turn the temp WAY down, the A/C light comes on, and then air comes out the dash.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Just a guess, but maybe by design. When interior ambient is well below 72* ideal venting is from the dash. But when interior is near 72* floor venting is ideal, since heat rises (especially ideal if sunny day). Ideal venting for A/C is always from the dash. Those Germans are no dummies.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
MyAvocation...I hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you might be right. I agree with the "heat rising" fact, but there are those (my wife) who, since she no longer wears contact lenses, prefers to have some air moving near/by her face. Previously, with lenses, she HATED any air mvmt there, as it dried out her eyes.

I never sat in a Phaeton, but wasn't one of its claims of "uber-sophistication" that it had no visible dash vents? Do I recall that there were complaints about exactly that...no possibility for direct "air in the face"? At least we can adjust that, manually, but it does defeat the purpose of the "Auto" setting.

Add that to the list of complaints...uh...what list? I don't have one yet!! We LOVE this car.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
800 miles now (2 weeks old). Just learned today my RNS-510 unit has to be replaced. About a week after I got the car (approx 400 miles), I turned on the car one day and it was asking me to insert a NAV cd/dvd. In addition the MDI (ipod) input stopped working as well as SD card input. Radio (AM/FM/SAT) continued to work fine. Dealer finally got me in today and they have diagnosed it as a bad RNS-510 (hard disk?). They have to order one in (from Europe) with a two week lead time.

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
Hi all. I noticed during the 61 degree day in January in NYC that when I blasted the AC for a quick cooldown I heard a whistling noise coming from the vents. Dealer indicates and ordered a set of new air vents. Hopefully this corrects the problem.

tdmIght?

TDI
none yet, considering 2012 jetta or 2012 passat
hey Tragick...where did you purchase yours? In FFld here and looking to find a good dealer. Are you happy with your experience wherever it was?

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I dealt with Stephen Halpern at Open Road VW in Manhattan. I was a bit different than your normal purchase as my old TDI Jetta had died, so I was in a rush to get something right away. Open Road has three dealerships so they were able to give me a choice of 7 or 8 tdis to choose from. I was happy to get a light silver with a sunroof and no nav (which is apparently a rare thing) and was able to pick up in under 24 hours. The 1.9% financing was a big help (i put $9,500 down). Everyone there knew there stuff. If you want his info you can PM me and i'll give you his email as their phone system is under construction/redesign. One thing I love about their facilty is you can make appointments the day before for the next day (as opposed to Danbury VW near where I live which is a 4 day minimum). I know they had a black jetta 2011 sitting on the lot they were looking to unload back at the end of December, but I wanted a bigger car. I have found Danbury to have high prices and no selection whatsoever, having to get cars from other dealers. I had the same experience with getting my old TDI Jetta and my wife's 2011 Tiguan (which may be available as a diesel in a year or year and a half allegedly). My wife got her Tiguan from Smithtown VW in Suffolk Co., NY. Good people there and I also recommend them, their price beat everyone else by ALOT on a lease for the Tiguan.

Ed

hey Tragick...where did you purchase yours? In FFld here and looking to find a good dealer. Are you happy with your experience wherever it was?

Last edited:

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
CEL and Limp Mode

Car threw codes yesterday, flashing glow plug light. This morning flashing glow plug then limp mode. Restarted, lights went away then came back this afternoon along with limp mode. Car going in to dealer tomorrow. Bit of a pain in the butt, it's hard to get home from work on limp mode. :mad:

tdmIght?

TDI
none yet, considering 2012 jetta or 2012 passat
I dealt with Stephen Halpern at Open Road VW in Manhattan. I was a bit different than your normal purchase as my old TDI Jetta had died, so I was in a rush to get something right away. Open Road has three dealerships so they were able to give me a choice of 7 or 8 tdis to choose from. I was happy to get a light silver with a sunroof and no nav (which is apparently a rare thing) and was able to pick up in under 24 hours. The 1.9% financing was a big help (i put $9,500 down). Everyone there knew there stuff. If you want his info you can PM me and i'll give you his email as their phone system is under construction/redesign. One thing I love about their facilty is you can make appointments the day before for the next day (as opposed to Danbury VW near where I live which is a 4 day minimum). I know they had a black jetta 2011 sitting on the lot they were looking to unload back at the end of December, but I wanted a bigger car. I have found Danbury to have high prices and no selection whatsoever, having to get cars from other dealers. I had the same experience with getting my old TDI Jetta and my wife's 2011 Tiguan (which may be available as a diesel in a year or year and a half allegedly). My wife got her Tiguan from Smithtown VW in Suffolk Co., NY. Good people there and I also recommend them, their price beat everyone else by ALOT on a lease for the Tiguan.

Ed

Thanks Ed -

Not sure about going to Manhattan for it - but I appreciate the reply. Looking at a dealership in Poughkipsee (sp) b/c I dont want to pay Fairfield county (not NYC) prices - lol - Anyone venture to guess what I might consider a good deal on a base TDI DSG (no nav, extras) though I think I have to have the sunroof with the dsg...

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Sorry to hear, Bob. Hopefully something benign. Please be sure to get a list of the codes.
Car at dealer for 3rd week, was Exhaust Pressure sensor then possible wiring then ECU which is now ordered. The dealer is very pro and doing their best. Sucks not having the car. Anyone else with ECU probs?

MarkG

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, Metallic Gray/Black
1500 miles and I am starting to get a squeking noise when I shift out of Park. I will have them look at it at my first maintenance. Has anyone seen this? I was not using the parking brake but will use it now and see if the sound goes away.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Ask to be reimbursed for one car payment. At least one dealer offered this to another Passat owner.
Thanks, I'll be impressed if I can get that, even more if I can get re-imbursed for the extra fuel costs driving a Gas Jetta. :)

Just like to add I'm fairly impressed with VW Service they're following up regularly and have covered the rental. My previous Hyundai experience when the our (new Hyundai) died while on a road trip the local dealer made us pay for a rental. There's a huge difference between the two in that regard.

Last edited:

germ

TDI
2012 Passat tdi 6sp man
How many miles on NMS TDI passat?

I was wondering who has the most miles on NMS TDI passat. What problems if any?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would imagine TheGrove's is going to be one of the highest, I did a 50k service on it beginning of September last year, and he does about 200+ miles a day as I recall.

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
We had one of these threads a while back. oilhammer is probably right for within the US. but I recall someone finding a fuelly account of someone at 60k and that was months ago. personally we are at 30k with ours.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
21,500 miles since April 24, 2012. No issues except a slightly clogged front left sunroof drain - dealer fixed immediately.

PS: Milesage/Issues threads merged. ;)

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I would imagine TheGrove's is going to be one of the highest, I did a 50k service on it beginning of September last year, and he does about 200+ miles a day as I recall.
About 68,600, daily commute is about 225 miles. Just noticed I have 2,400 miles until my 70K service. :D:D

Still running strong no problem (knock on wood!).

OH, beginning to estimate the 80K service around mid to end of April. Will let you know when it gets closer.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
About 68,600, daily commute is about 225 miles. Just noticed I have 2,400 miles until my 70K service. :D:D

Still running strong no problem (knock on wood!).

OH, beginning to estimate the 80K service around mid to end of April. Will let you know when it gets closer.
Ok, so I looked closer when I got in the office this morning.

Car was purchased 9/27/2011 (16 months ago) - mileage is 68,273, 2,300 miles to the 70k service.

• Replaced the Hankook tires @ 40k as they were worn out.
  • Right Rear window repaired (adjusted) under warranty - needed adjustment as it would go down, cant forward and jam when trying to raise again.
  • Left Front DRL replaced twice in first 30K. Only paid for 1 since the 2nd replacement was only a month after the 1st one was replaced. Have since disabled the DRL's.
  • Various service bulletins done - including a RNS-512 firmware upgrade - under warranty. But nothing that was causing me problems (other than wanting the radio done to get TraveLink) just things that came up as part of the normal service.
The only mods done are

• Enabled auto-sensing wipers.
  • Enabled the DRL disable in MFD - and disabled the DRL's.
  • Installed a FrostHeater (even in the cold I haven't plugged it in yet)
  • Installed a DieselGeek skidplate.
That's it, it has been a great car. I go out every morning, get in, hit the KESSY button and away we go.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I am at 27,000 miles... no major issues to fret about. I too have a long commute... 102 miles one way. So far, so good!

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
17,000 miles on mine, drivers side console cover fell off. Dealer said the clips gave out during our 100+ summer. Coworkers 2012 Passat had the same problem.

The Fender audio sub woofer box bolts keep coming loose. :)

Small things really and its been a great car so far, recommend it all who ask.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
No need for a fuelly account... my brain is the hard drive!

mnelsonx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
My 2012 SE DSG is at 9,500 miles, approaching the first scheduled service. No problems whatsoever for the car...although I was forced to replace the Hankooks due to "road hazard" damage. Expensive, but the Michelin MXV4's are fantastic; snow, rain, whatever.

I have recommended the car to anyone who has the right driving patterns - it's probably not the right fit for city folks who don't hit the highway much.

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
4000, since 11/20/12.. had to go back once to get the front license plate holder installed. Was a dealer trade and didn't come with one. lol Mine is opera red, had a 2005 samoan red, really a dark brown( vw seems to have trouble with red and passats) getting 40-41 hand figured (42-43 on display) with DSG.
Having had an 05,(which was totaled) I have a little different perspective. 05 made in Germany so I was looking for alot of quality issues. Have been pleasantly surprised with the car. Build date 10/12. My wife's only complaint is the bun warmers, on the 05 it also did your lower back which she enjoyed. When this car is broken in I see it getting better mileage than the 05.
I had to have the gear job that replaced the chain on the 05 and 2 headlights replaced, other than that no problems. Hope this car is as good
Can't wait to run out of warranty so Chris Fisher in Huntingdon, Pa can work on the car. If you ever need a tdi worked on in central pa see Chris.
also anyone afraid of this car because of adblu, get over it. I think they should put it on jettas and golfs.