Car idles high and rough.

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
Okay guys I need your help! Changed the injection pump on my 2003 Jetta. I out a 11mm on instead of the original 10mm. Got the car running but it idles real rough and high, like 1100rpm. The car drives great and has good power but idle is no good, tried to adjust idle with vagcom but it won’t work. Anyone of you had this problem or know what it could be? Any suggestions help! Thanks.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
QA and timing would explain rough idle, but not high revs. sounds like something is off in the pump. Who rebuilt it? where did you get it? Hammer mod will not slow revs. If your VDCS adjustment on idle does not work, then i suspect that the pump needs a rebuild as the plunger is not in the right spot, letting more fuel in. What is the QA set at anyways? Try this, hammer mod the IP to both ends of its travel and report back what number it says at both ends before the engine stops running. this might tell a story of internal damage on the IQ's cam lobe and hence the rough idle. the high RPM's are going to be tricky to figure out.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Out of curiosity, do you know if the seals in the pump were changed by the previous owner?
Only reason why I’m asking was I had a similar problem when I did the seals on my daughters IP.
I missed the hole in the plunger when I put the QA back.
Just a thought.......

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
Out of curiosity, do you know if the seals in the pump were changed by the previous owner?
Only reason why I’m asking was I had a similar problem when I did the seals on my daughters IP.
I missed the hole in the plunger when I put the QA back.
Just a thought.......
No unfortunately I don’t. I bought a pump off a guy that ended up being out of time because someone took that middle bolt out, Anyways, the guy got me a another one and the car started with that pump. Car runs and drives great but at idle it’s just real rough and around 1100rpm

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
Have you been scanned ECM? If you did found some fault code. You get the hint.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So this 11mm pump, unknown condition. You could try a can or 2 of diesel purge straight. Next time you got the VCDS, check the IQ, check for codes.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
chemical solutions do not fix or adress mechanical issues. save your $ and pull the top off the IP and check for things that are not right, take pictures. So my hunch is that the IP you got is fubar, i suspect it needs a rebuild and is out of time. its a hard thing to diagnose these pumps with out being there and seeing it in person.
my advice, pay up for someone to rebuild this pump and or get your money back from the seller if it is an issue unless you got it as is and not running. Talk to the seller first and find out if there is anything that can be done.

samistheman

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi
chemical solutions do not fix or adress mechanical issues. save your $ and pull the top off the IP and check for things that are not right, take pictures. So my hunch is that the IP you got is fubar, i suspect it needs a rebuild and is out of time. its a hard thing to diagnose these pumps with out being there and seeing it in person.
my advice, pay up for someone to rebuild this pump and or get your money back from the seller if it is an issue unless you got it as is and not running. Talk to the seller first and find out if there is anything that can be done.
Can’t afford to get the pump rebuilt is the problem. I’ll take a look in the pump and see if I can find something out of the usual. Not sure if it would be out of time or not, the car drives awesome and has good power, it’s just idle that isn’t right

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hate to say this but if you cant afford the parts or repairs, sell the car and get something more affordable.
Rebuild is like 500 give or take. It obviously does not function properly and you need to dispute this with the seller, who seems sketchy to start with.