how many miles

philll

TDI
passat
with a well taken care 2005 tdi. about how many miles can one expect to get out of an engine. thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
fully maintained on scheduled with preventative maintenance and repairs like fixing an oil leak before it gets messy, and never overheating?
300,000 is a very easy milestone to get to and most cars that age are around 250K already. 450,000 Miles is a reasonably easy milestone that a good % of owners reach, this being said, its not unlikely that 600,000 can be reached.
Now the body? good luck. not as much of a rust bucket as MK3's but still its a cheep car that was made to last 200K on average.
do you know how many miles you have to drive every day for 20 years to get to 450K let alone 600K?
61 miles every day! most people who drive TDI's are commuters and thats an easy target.
Guy who lived next to me had a subaru that made it to 1.2 million miles. Subaru gave him a new car for free if he turned his in. Lets just say he is now at 1.4 million in only 12 years of owning the car. Crazy SOB..... Anyways. if you car for them and dont abuse or mod them much, a very long time.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Take care of it it’ll go a long way. You will probably have to replace the cam if you haven’t already, by the second or third belt change.

He’s in El Paso so the underneath his car probably looks like showroom with a minor coating of dust.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not all PDs need constant camshaft changes.

Any car will last indefinitely so long as it does get crashed beyond reasonable repair, rusted away to its core elements, stolen, flooded, tooefed, tornado, bomb, etc.

It is just a collection of parts. People give up on cars before cars give up on people. You'll likely run into an issue of parts sourcing before the car ever gets "used up", or just plain get tired of it.

There is no clear answer to your question, but rest assured if you just take care of it, maintain it, fix it if it breaks, it'll go a good long time.

Now, if you are talking about a 2005 Passat TDI, the engine's balance shaft drive will need to be addressed before it does this:

But once you rid yourself of that time bomb, they'll motor along quite happily for a very long time:

:)

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya, for all the worries about PD complexity when they came out in 2004, they've really shown to be durable (apart from the cam wear issues). The fuel systems seem to hold up better than the older VE pump cars!

-J

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

Currently 435,000 miles on my wife's 2005 Jetta wagon. Had a turbo fail around 180,000 miles; replaced the transmission solenoids at 235,000 miles. Lift pump failed once, replaced that. Other than that, just general maintenance: oil, brakes, timing belt/water pump, tires, etc. Rebuilt the rear axle beam at 400,000 miles: new bushings, hubs, rear wheel bearings, shocks. Leather interior is starting to show it's age.

Eric

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'm mad :mad::mad::mad::mad: at the .... lady that turned left in front of me and totaled my '05. Ran better than new and only 162k miles. Never even had a cam wear issue. Worst part was interior was starting to fall apart and I'm a mechanic (so no matter how much I wash my hands are still dirty).

Jason

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I always seem to get dirty and oily residue on my arms, elbows, bottom of pants, etc. I got to the point of putting on fresh uniform everyday and wearing street shoes to work. Added washing hands with regular soap after pumice soap.

At this point I gave up and drive a beater to work.

Jason