Difference btw VR6 springs and jetta wagon springs

Quanger

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 ALH TDi
I'm looking to beef up my suspension for hauling. Is there a difference btw the two? I'm also going to get the 10mm lift washers for the front.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Wagon rear springs are stiffer due to the extra weight in the rear of the wagon. If installed on a Jetta sedan or Golf, it should raise the rear end about 1". I know when I removed my wagon springs and installed GTI springs, it dropped 1.5"

jettasetta

Banned con artist and self-proclaimed victim
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MK4 PD-BEW 5SP-EUH TDI
Was there ever any resolution to the question as to whether VR6 springs could add comparable lift to the front end in order to facilitate improved ground clearance?

swampboy

TDI
2003 reflex silver wagon
I just changed my old compressed strut mount bushing and added the 10mm spacer for a overall rise of about 25mm. You should check the top of your strut tower to see how much the bushings have been compressed over time. Fresh bushings alone may give you the rise you need. If you need more height add the spacers. I believe the max on the spacers is 20mm without causing front end issues. Your car will look odd if the front is too high, so compare the fender to wheel spacing before deciding how high to go. You can also raise the tire height up to 3%. i.e. 195-65-15 to 195-70-15 or 205-65-15 (this will affect speedometer accuracy).

Spacer part numbers: 1J0 412 311A (10mm) 1J0 412 311 (20 mm)

You need to disassemble the strut/spring assembly to install the spacer. This is a dangerous job so do not do it yourself unless you have experience AND the proper tools. The best way is to have the mechanic add the spacers when you have the strut bushing/bearing serviced.

chris turner

TDI
99 , 2002,jettatdi 94 toyota surf 3L tdi
suspension lift

Hi there i swapped out my springs on a 2002 jetta for a trip to the yukon with a trailer used vr6 fronts and wagon rears it raised the front and rear aprox 1".you will have to get an alignement as it will alter toe and camber just enough to wear tires uneaven.The springs i used were Car Quest 81134 fronts 81055 rears moog use same numbers sold in pairs aprox $80 trade price each end car handled better and trailer weight no problem hope this helps chris.