Low Tire Light ON.. All tires OK !!!

harleymhs

TDI
2010 2 Door Golf
I have a 2010 Golf TDI.. I noticed yesterday AM that the Low Tire light is on, I checked pressue in all tires and the spare allis OK.. Light flashes when I turn the car on then goes solid after a few minutes. Anyone else have this issue? I guess back to VW WED to check the sensors in wheels or reset the computer.. :(

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Others can confirm, but if you bring it back to the dealer for this issue they will reprogram the TPMS system to correct this issue.

This thread is going sticky. Others have reported this issue and the above correction made by the dealer. If you have had the dealer fix your TPMS system, please check in here and let us know what was done and if it resolved your issue.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
When I went in for my 10,000 mile maintenance I told them about the light and told the nice lady that I read on the internet (here) that the module needed re-calibration or something along those lines. She said "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" and promptly rolled her eyes. I politely agreed to the internet comment and sat down to do some work for a bit. 45 minutes later they had my oil changed, tires rotated and they had re-calibrated the TPMS system. She even told me that I was right, all the tires were perfect PSI and they did some Vag-Com magic to the system. It was quite nice of her to admit that what I read on the internet was, in fact, correct.

I suspect that my Golf was the first new 2010 Golf TDI they had come across for the 10k maintenance...

harleymhs

TDI
2010 2 Door Golf
Well, Went to the dealer today.. As everyone said, they had to re calibrate the TPMS.. The light is off and we are good to go.. Thanks for your replies to my tread! This forum is GREAT! Like my TDI!

sportriderseattle

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr, 6-speed manual, sunroof, CWP, Votex kit, roof spoiler, 35 tint
I had mine done on Tuesday. If it comes on again, with no apparent loss of air in the tires, I will have the dealer remove those stupid sensors in the tires and disable the dash light by VagCom...just like my DRL.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just had mine serviced for this exact issue. I was there for about an hour getting it serviced.

Here's a thread that explains what is happening.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=55172

tpms light coming on is due to the electronics control module that has been integrated with the comfort cm is losing the basic settings for the tpms. its supposed to be set at 2.3 bar but defaults to 5.5 bar. theres a tech bulletin out for updated coding in hopes it solves this problem
So pretty much, you need to take it in for the updated coding to fix the problem.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
sportriderseattle said:
I had mine done on Tuesday. If it comes on again, with no apparent loss of air in the tires, I will have the dealer remove those stupid sensors in the tires and disable the dash light by VagCom...just like my DRL.
I used to think the TPMS was more trouble that it was worth too but on our '08 Mercedes it has successfully detected very minor leaks before they became problematic on two occasions. I have more important things to do than check my tire pressures weekly.

I remember the first time it said "correct tire pressure" I thought to myself "are they using 'correct' as a noun or adjective"? They surely could have worded that better!

Turns out it was a noun and one of my tires was 3 PSI low and had a nail in it. Ours has two stages - the white "correct tire pressure" warning is for small variations and the red "CHECK TIRE IMMEDIATELY" is for severe leaks. I have never seen the red warning, fortunately.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
The TPMS system is smart. And it can save you a lot of money and time for what it does.

The update is updating the TPMS system from 260 to 240 KPA (240 i think is on the sticker in the drivers door). The system thinks it has the wrong pressures so it turns the light on. Updating the system or changing the values of the TPMS system to the sticker tells the system everything is ok and the light should be off.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
KraftwerkB6 said:
The update is updating the TPMS system from 260 to 240 KPA (240 i think is on the sticker in the drivers door). The system thinks it has the wrong pressures so it turns the light on. Updating the system or changing the values of the TPMS system to the sticker tells the system everything is ok and the light should be off.
That isn't the problem. Although the fix is the same.

As I described in my first post, the problem is the computer is being reset to default of 5.5bar (80PSI). It has to be reset to ~2.3-2.5bar. This number is not set to what the recommended tire pressure should be, but to a number that would be considered "low" which may be a few psi below recommended.

I posted a link to a forum that describes the problem, and it is also what is documented on my service ticket as what they did to fix my car.

Here's a link to fix it yourself with a vag-com. It appears to affect more then just the 2010 TDI's.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4868505-Flashing-TPMS-Fix-it-with-vag-com
But from what I understand, this is only a temporary fix. For a more permanent fix, the software needs to be updated at the dealership.

Last edited:

UGM10Golf

TDI
2010 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Mine just came on at the 1800 mile marker. Do you think it the spare that is causing it to go off? Thats what happened in my 08 Highlander.

mntdidrvr

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
TPMS light came on at 500 miles. I initially thought it was the spare (like my 05 Toyota). Instead, I found a bent 2" nail embedded in the inner sidewall of rear drivers side tire. Needed a new tire but better than a blowout on the freeway commute.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Just looked at my service report from my 10,000 mile checkup. Here's what it says:
B Customer states tire pressure light is on
Cause: per techline VTA JH-458182 update programming

10458 confirmed light on and flashing. checked all 4 sensors with handheld checker. Found all batteries OK. Then found fault for incorrect basic settings. I called Tech Line. Assistant told me to change the last 2 bits of coding from 05 to 04 and reset adaption channels to 23. All this done user VSS and not under GFF due to adaption not allowed in GFF Road tested after repairs. Closed VTA.

UGM10Golf

TDI
I've waited long enough.. going to head up to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at the warning light. I'll ask them about the TPMS in the spare.

UGM10Golf

TDI
Ok, I dropped by my VW dealership today... Played dumb and told them my warning light has been on for a while and that the pressure is right.

1 hour later they came back and said my car was ready. There's 2 items on my invoice:
A. Check tire pressure light stays on. Check MVB 5, 6, 7, 8 all have 5.5 BAR settings. Change pressure to 2.3 BAR.
B. Check software and update 1 Control Module.

A8540TDI

TDI
Golf Mk VI TDI, 335d
The recommended pressures for my car are 38 psi but I have been running at 35 without a TPMS light. We had loads of rain this past weekend and the evening temperature was much cooler than normal. Sure enough, the TPMS light came on and I guessed it was because the lower temps had reduced the pressure enough to trigger a warning. Indeed, the pressure was at 32-33 right at the threshold to trigger a warning. I pumped up the tires to 38 and after about 15 miles the TPMS light went out as I figured it should. Guess mine was set properly at the factory and did not default to the 5.5 bar setting! I'm happy - no trip to the dealer is necessary :)

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
TPMS system wants to see 2.6 bar (37.7 psi) or greater to automatically reset. After having some new tires installed on my car the TPMS light and "Tire Pressures are Low" warning was displayed on my MFD. The tire shop had my new tires at 33psi. I pumped them up to 35psi...TPMS light would not go out >1 hour. I drove back to the tire shop and they scanned each TPMS sensor in each tire to make sure they were transmitting. They were all working fine (each said its pressure was 32psi even though two seperate gauges said 35psi).
I drove around another 45 minutes...still no luck. TPMS warning still on.
I then pumped up the tires to 40psi. The TPMS warning light went out immediately. I reduced the pressure back down to 38psi. All is well. I wish the VW owners manual was a bit more detailed. All it says to do with the above symptoms is to visit your local VW dealer....Nice. How about, Step 1: "Make sure your tires are above 37.7psi"....The recommended tire pressure is 35psi in the door jam. Not sure why VW would make the system require 37.7psi to reset. I believe the trip point for low pressure is ~31 psi.

Last edited:

Arne in Oregon

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf MT6
Hmmm. My Golf says 38 PSI on the door jamb.

My car's TPMS started doing its thing a couple of days ago. (Less than 600 miles!) Since I have access to a VCDS for a while, I'll fix it myself rather than have to leave it at the dealer.

Arne in Oregon

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf MT6
Fixed mine today via VCDS. (Killed the DRLs and horn honk on lock, too.) But here's a question - has anyone had it do it a second time once it has been reset? Either by the dealer or via VCDS?

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ok, guys, more bad news.

My light has come on again for the second time. Seems the first VW "fix" didn't hold and the update software does not fix the problem.

I've scheduled an appointment to get it in for a second time. I'm hoping VW has a better update available to fix this.

sflier

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2013 Toareg TDI LUX
I wonder, since not all of us are having this issue, if a faulty sensor or one that looses communication periodically would trigger this? Keep us posted as to the dealer's response.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just got back from the dealership. The technician said that the module didn't have the right update coding and that's why it lost it's setting.

They told me they recoded it to the correct settings so it shouldn't happen again. I hope so at least.

They also did a 24I4 update in the ECM. Don't know exactly what it updates, but I suspect it's the update for the O2 sensor some people have mentioned.

Last edited:

Roy3

TDI
2010 Golf
Had my TPMS re-calibrated today at 2,400 miles. Dealer stated the module defaulted to 5.5 bar and needed to be recoded to 2.3 bar. This service took 20 minutes max. I did it on my lunch break.

ktlightning

TDI
2010 4d Golf TDI
Unfortunately I've been using the Tire Pressure Indicator quite a bit lately. 1650 miles and I experienced it -- right rear was at 30psi -- pumped up to 38 and within 24 hours it was down to 20 psi. Pumped up again to 38 psi and now this morning (about 16 hours later) 20psi again. Going to bring to the dealership for inspection and full utilization of the silly tire-warranty I thought I was suckered into buying. Hopefully I can actually get some use from it.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
I wonder, since not all of us are having this issue, if a faulty sensor or one that looses communication periodically would trigger this? Keep us posted as to the dealer's response.

If this helps the 2011 Golf and New Jetta doesn't use sensors in the tires anymore. They use the ABS sensors now for TPM.

Just one more thing added to the use of these sensors.

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
TPMS system wants to see 2.6 bar (37.7 psi) or greater to automatically reset... I believe the trip point for low pressure is ~31 psi.
My rear tire tripped the TPMS at 33 or 34 psi this morning. I was getting annoyed that I wasn't able to reset the light, until I saw this post. Pumped the rear tire to 38 psi, and the light went off!!

The manual is worthless!

eric 2010 golf

TDI
2010 Golf 6-sp manual
mine doesn't need reprogramming...

My TPMS light came on flashing and then would default to glowing. I took it to the dealer for this and other repairs, and they didn't fix it because the CCM would not respond. It's in the shop now for replacement. Also, they may be guessing that my trailer wiring destroyed the CCM but I have had other problems that happened the minute I drove the car home after purchase. I can let you know how that goes.

firstgermancar

TDI
2010 Golf
Dealer needs part to fix my sensors!?

My local socal dealer called to say there were two software upgrades for my car, and I mentioned the low tire light was on (1,459 miles). The service rep said the 2nd of the two updates would solve the problem. So I bring it in, wait 1 hour, and they tell me car is ready. Get in, start it up and the low tire pressure light is on (steady), and the MDI says tire pressure low! So I show the rep, they take the car in back for 2 more hours, and say the software doesn't fix it, so they called VW and now they want to change the control module that controls the TP light. They ordered the part, I'm supposed to bring it back next week to have them change it.

Do you think these guys are clueless? They did seem to understand the calibration problem discussed in this thread, but said that wasn't what was wrong. Not sure what else I can try to do, except maybe inflating to 40 psi?

More disturbing, they said they have had TWO '09 Jetta TDI's in at that dealership for bad HPFP's! One had 55K miles and wasn't under warranty - $10,279!

eric 2010 golf

TDI
2010 Golf 6-sp manual
definitely buying the extended warranty on my car... with lowest deduct and max term...
$10k car repair is NOT my idea of normal maintenance and repairs.