Incorrect Gear Ratios means new transmission??

mkhuri

TDI
2004 Passat
My 2004 Passat TDI lost significant power and wouldn't shift past 2nd gear. I took her into VW and they found error codes P0733, P0730, P0732, signaling incorrect gear ratios for 2nd, 3rd and the gear box. They said they need to replace the transmission and quoted me $4,500 parts & labor. Is this for real?! Ive only got 120,000 miles on it and the car is worth about $9,000-$10,000. Please let me know what options I may have. Bummed out.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just checked my Bentley and shure as crap, P0730 is "Incorrect gear ratio", P0732 is "Incorrect gear 2 ratio" and P0733 is "Incorrect gear 3 ratio". I have no idea what this means and have never heard of this before. I believe the gear ratios are set when the transmission is made and can not change. I take it that this is an automatic tranny. I am familiar with manual trannys and have NEVER encountered this terminology. I am perplexed.

One possibility is the dealer gave you the wrong codes.

I googled on the first code you stated and this came up:

http://straighttalkautomotive.com/OBD2/P0730.html

Here is info on the second gear code:

http://helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0732_volkswagen.html

OK, the above link explains the monitoring going on:

"This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:...." I never knew this was monitored.

--Nate

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Sounds like the T/C is tost.This is a know problem on the Passot.Has the blance shaft been replace on your car."If not" It will be problem down the road it around 3K job.You may get lucky you just need a T/C if the trans is not tost.If you want a second opion look up "Wild Rose" he is right out side of La.Sorry for the bad news:(

Wild Rose Motors
Leonard Harview aka Harvieux
13253 Meyer Road
Whittier, CA 90605
562-946-9000
wrmltd@pacbell.net
www.vwtdionly.com

Last edited: