Chicagoland GTG survey: who would be interested?

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Hello! I have been thinking about this for about a year now and figured now is the time to do something about it... Who would be interested in attending either of these GTG's this summer?

Option #1:
Chicago downtown-ish... Belmont Harbor or Foster/Wilson area along the lakefront. This is a beautiful spot for photo opps, frisbee, BBQ, etc. I would have to contact the City of Chicago of course to get permission.

Option #2:
Crete, IL... this is actually my dad's idea since he is proposing it to his car club. He has 5 acres of land in the country so parking is definately not an issue! We could have volleyball, lunch catered, bring your dogs, tinker with our cars in the pole barn (holds like 5 or 6 cars), cruise out to the expressway and open them up... maybe I can sweet talk Garrett into Upsoluting...

So I'm open to any suggestions, flames, whatever.
Thanks in advance.

------------------
Jenni
2000 Golf GLS TDI, Putt Putt, my little sleeper
debadged/2001 crystal clear side markers/GTI tails/UPsolute chip/K&N/descreened/smoked bumper reflectors...coming soon tint/OilGuard

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
This is a great idea GG.

First weekend is August is usually the big Chicago VW Org Treffen meet so early summer would be better.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
You mean there's something north of I 80? If the dates work out, I would be willing to step out on blind faith to find out.

------------------
2k1 NB 5 spd Yellow. CD changer, mud flaps. No engine mods
Putting my trust in German engineering.
Gisteren een droom...heden werkelykheid

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Jen: I vote for your Dad's place. I'm a Chicago boy through and through but any lakefront spot is going to be jammed silly with other people in the summer.

Five acres at Dad's? Spread out, relax, take the cars to the barn...open and shut case for me.

Anthony

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
So far the reaction is good... now I got to boogie down and start thinking up a date? Any suggestions? July? I'm told July 22 is Waterfest so that's bad.

Should I work on both options?

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
I would vote for option #2 also. If it is in the summer, and happens to fall on one of my 3 day weekends off, I would surely try to make it!

Drive ON!

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
Your Dad's place sounds good to me. Fire up the barby,throw on some brats,beer,volleyball. Yeah that the way to go. I hate going downtown via my car. I wimp out and take the train. I was at a WHO concert years ago and my buddy got his car stolen-a real nice 67 Chevy Impala. Had a real hassle getting back home-ever since then I've opted for public trans.

gocartmozart

I vote for option 2 as well.

I'm also planning a chicagoland gathering, but mine will be more "party" and less parts.

Not much room to work on more than a car or two at a time here in Valpo, but I'm just looking for a good excuse to get together with like-minded folks around a firepit, swimming pool, poker table, or whatever...

-Ron
'01 Golf
'73 914

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
gg, name the time and place and i'll be there.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
As alway's I'll always show up if I'm in town.

DB

Kermit

TDI
5 Golf TDI's
Add one more to your attendees list. Is there a date yet?

This could be a warm-up for another GTG at this years Treffen.

------------------
Jon Kerns
2001 Golf GL TDI, Silver
UPsolute, Piper-x & Kumho Victoracers for the Track
(9th VW)

Smithers

Veteran Member
Dad's place.

------------------
"Breathe in all the diesel fumes, admire the concrete landscaping, and doesn't it feel free?" - Jay Farrar

Chiefbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, Galatic Blue
Either sounds great to me. I should be taking delivery of my 2001 Jetta TDI sometime in May and would love to meet fellow Chicagoland TDI'ers.

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
OK -- I will work on Option #2. My dad didn't think the response would be this good so he told me I better be prepared to cut the grass!
hee, hee! If Bugfest and Rosewell are both in June then I will look at July 7, 14 or 28 (22 is Waterfest).

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
I could load up the Farmall A w/ Woods belly mower and mow that lawn in style!! Only problem is I couldn't tow the trailer with my Jetta. I'd have to use the gas guzzling Tahoe (its also white)!

TPTDI

This GTG stuff is all new to me. But I would like to check it out myself. This TDI car is growing on me after ten years of trucks. I hope you guys post when the happenings will be going on.

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish is was but its IH red. Purrs like a kitten. Top engine speed (governed) is 1540RPM and it idles so low you can almost count the fan blades going around. Does your dad have one?

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
CoolWhiteDude, no he's got the standard IH red too. He has pulled out many a truck out of snowbanks with that thing, so maybe it's good it's red!