NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Is this one new? Was over on Quattroworld, and this add showed up for a Lawfirm looking for HPFP failure victims... looks like they want to start a class action.

http://audivwproblem.com/

Here's the ad...

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/3514361473508348666

I'm at Quattroworld/Dubworld quite a bit and this is the first ad I've seen on this over there. Dunno about the firm... but shows it's getting on someones radar. Edit: I looked them up... they're a big California based Class Action firm...

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Is this one new? Was over on Quattroworld, and this add showed up for a Lawfirm looking for HPFP failure victims... looks like they want to start a class action.

http://audivwproblem.com/

Here's the ad...

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/3514361473508348666

I'm at Quattroworld/Dubworld quite a bit and this is the first ad I've seen on this over there. Dunno about the firm... but shows it's getting on someones radar. Edit: I looked them up... they're a big California based Class Action firm...
That would certainly be the way to go if you are looking for a coupon for $500 towards your next purchase.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
That would certainly be the way to go if you are looking for a coupon for $500 towards your next purchase.
Trust me I agree... I've owned a lot of VW/Audi Products, and I have quite a few "pages" that were added to my manual via a class action... since my car never-ever had the problems stated, that's all I got out of the deal. But the lawyers got $8 million

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Wouldn't biodiesel provide improved lubrication?

I thought the limit of bioD was due to washdown during the over fuel dpf burn mode.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
If most of the failures happen in October, when they start adding the winter blend, then the problem is probably related to the change (does the residue of non-winterized diesel mixed to winterized diesel form gunk???).

Or, it may point to non-winterized diesel still being sold when the temperatures drop below freezing.

Very few failures in 2009 winter fuel. Perhaps major distribution and/or refinery screw ups in winter 2010?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Wouldn't biodiesel provide improved lubrication?
I thought the limit of bioD was due to washdown during the over fuel dpf burn mode.
Several biodiesel-quality related failures that can happen:

1. Poor quality biodiesel breaks down under high pressure in the pump, polymerizes, causing all sorts of fun there
  2. Too high gel point biodiesel can cause fuel starvation in cold weather, allowing the pump to run dry
  3. Poorly washed biodiesel has a lot of methanol and lye in it - the methanol being very poor lubricity, the lye actively attacking the aluminum in the HPFP
  4. Poorly stored biodiesel can collect algae, causing a filter clog and fuel starvation
  5. Poorly stored biodiesel also very easily collects water (and unlike dinodiesel, it very easily stays in suspension), which severely reduces the lubricity of the fuel, and can cause corrosion of fuel system components everywhere

Last edited:

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Wouldn't VW have noticed clogged fuel filters as the looked for something to blame? I don't think I've heard of any clogged filters from bioD use on any vehicle. Perhaps some home bioD stuff..

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I've heard of it happening with multiple vehicles with commercial bio - all of the vehicles (from different areas) affected fueled on the same day, at the same station and had clogged filters due to algae in the tank.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
except I filled up that same day from the same pump (Meijer in MI like 3 years ago iirc) and didn't have a single problem.. so it was hit & miss even among us TDI owners..

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Great graph an commentary.

When you factor in California's domination of the failed HPFP, and read about excessive Bio, have to wonder if Biodiesel is more freely available there than it is here on the east coast. Don't want to paint Californians as all greenies all the time, but have to wonder if there is a correlation.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
IIRC, California has also had the higher percentage of CR diesel purchases. Therefore, they should also have the higher percentge of failures.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
According to Chevron's Diesel Fuels Technical Review:

In California, the Air Resources Board (ARB) has regulated an additional requirement.
All diesel fuel sold in this state must have an aromatics content of 10 mass percent or
less. Alternatively, a fuel supplier can test and certify a fuel with higher aromatics level, if
emissions are equivalent to those of a specific reference fuel with a 10 mass percent aromatics
level. In that case, other fuel properties (cetane number, sulfur, nitrogen, aromatics, and
polynuclear aromatics) are recorded. Fuel marketed under this certification must be within
the recorded limits of these five properties......

California: A Special Case
Because of its unique diesel fuel regulations, California is a special case. California
regulations restrict the aromatics content of diesel fuel in order to reduce emissions.
The regulations can be met with either a low aromatics diesel (LAD), having less than
10 wt% aromatics, or with an alternative low aromatics diesel (ALAD) formulation that
gives an equivalent reduction in emissions. Many of these ALAD formulations use cetane
number improvers to help achieve the necessary emissions reduction. As a result, a
significant percentage of the diesel fuel now sold in California contains some cetane
number improver.
Reducing diesel aromatic content to 10 wt% requires more severe hydrotreating than
reducing sulfur content. As a result of this severe hydrotreating (which removes the
molecules responsible for boundary lubrication), the lubricity of some LAD may be low,

and some suppliers may treat the fuel with a lubricity additive. The ASTM D 975 diesel
fuel specification requires a minimum level of lubricity for all diesel fuels. The lubricity
specification states that all diesel fuels must have sufficient lubricity to produce a wear
scar diameter no larger than 520 microns using the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig
(HFRR, ASTM D 6079).
So California, in all its legislative wisdom, could be shooting itself in the foot with added regulations making the diesel more prone to poor lubricity causing fuel system failures...

Whether you believe aftermarket additives can help is another story, since the article implies that fuel suppliers "may" add them themselves....

TM

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So in regards to the California "special case" issue, there remains some unanswered questions. I may be wrong, but logic would tend to make me believe that 'severe hydrotreating' may be more costly for the refiners to do rather than just adding lubricity enhancers (ALAD). If that is the general case, that is to say they refine a base diesel that does not meet the Ca. requirements for aromatics, but rather post-treat with additives, then there is a much greater chance for lubricity variables in California due to decisions about how much additive to use, or even if it is dispensed correctly at the terminal. The aromatics requirements in Ca. run directly counter to the lubricity potential of the fuel. Makes a pretty strong case for adding your own to be safe, and it may help explain the higher incident level of HPFP failure in Ca.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
California is not the only special case either. Texas had the TxLED program for some areas and they followed similar rules as California.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
So in regards to the California "special case" issue, there remains some unanswered questions. I may be wrong, but logic would tend to make me believe that 'severe hydrotreating' may be more costly for the refiners to do rather than just adding lubricity enhancers (ALAD). If that is the general case, that is to say they refine a base diesel that does not meet the Ca. requirements for aromatics, but rather post-treat with additives, then there is a much greater chance for lubricity variables in California due to decisions about how much additive to use, or even if it is dispensed correctly at the terminal. The aromatics requirements in Ca. run directly counter to the lubricity potential of the fuel. Makes a pretty strong case for adding your own to be safe, and it may help explain the higher incident level of HPFP failure in Ca.
Dunno! :confused: Maybe if government agency compliance testing of the end product is strict enough, most of the fuel comes under the proper specs and the problem still comes down to fuel system design and end user gasoline/water contamination...

TM

akhazel

TDI
2010 jetta sportswagen tdi
mileage fluctuation

We own a 2010 TDI sportswagen which we bought used with 20,000 miles.
Just last month @ 47,000 miles we had an HPFP failure. Our local Santa Barbara Volkswagen dealer replaced the whole system except for the fuel tank. My wife uses the vehicle to freeway commute 30 miles each way to and from work. It is the exact same commute made prior to the failure and since the failure. What she has observed is that prior to the failure she was getting well over 45 mpg and sometimes as high as 47 mpg. Since the failure and replacement she is lucky to get 40mpg.
Any explanation?
Could the high mpg be a factor in potential HPFP failure?
Thanks,
Allan & Kim

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
California allows up to 5% biodiesel content without posting that fact on the pumps. My local Southern California independent station that dispenses and distributes Chevron products reports that Chevron's documentation accompanying their bulk D2 shipments reads "5% biodiesel content". The station does not post that fact on the pumps presumably because Chevron is not publically proclaiming it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think the volume has to be over 5% to require posting, in most states.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
What production year offer the newest hpfp revision? I really want a new tdi and need to know if a near new very low mileage 2012 would be ok or do I need to spend the cash for a 2013.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
What production year offer the newest hpfp revision? I really want a new tdi and need to know if a near new very low mileage 2012 would be ok or do I need to spend the cash for a 2013.
Nothing is known to have changed since the 2011 models. The best built version has Czech stamped on the name plate. No one knows if this has ever gone into production or for HPFP failures only.

You can raise the hood and check it at the dealer.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
Great graph an commentary.

When you factor in California's domination of the failed HPFP, and read about excessive Bio, have to wonder if Biodiesel is more freely available there than it is here on the east coast. Don't want to paint Californians as all greenies all the time, but have to wonder if there is a correlation.
Biodiesel is fairly hard to find in California... No tax incentives, it's usually more expensive. The main company selling it is Propel, which is mainly Norcal, and they now just started selling B20 or higher... no more B5.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
Now I'm confused about this HPFP

I have 47,000 miles on my '09 Jetta TDi. And I love the car. Manufacture date is 6/08. I've had worry free motoring. Most of my fuel has been from good quality AmeriGreen B5 diesel. Never had a drop of gasoline in my car. Every service was done by my dealership, which has an excellent service dept. The only problem I am having is that I have a check engine light on now. After reading this forum, I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about the U.S. diesel fuel supply, and what it will eventually do to my car. My options are to ignore what I'm reading and wait for a $5,000 repair, seek an older TDi that is not so sensitive to poor quality diesel, or offer the dealership 10K and mine for the Jetta hybrid. Confused??

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Find out what the CEL is all about before you jump to conclusions. It could be something very minor.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or it could be something minor. Being that the chances are relatively small that you will have a hpfp failure you may just drive on and nothing bad will happen to you. Quit worrying until you know you have to deal with it. I bought mine fully aware of the issue and don't worry about it at all. I will do that when/if it happens. Until then it is a very nice car!

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
You do have Mechanical Breakdown insurance, do you?