Particulate Filter Change on 2009 Jetta- over $6000???

prodigitalgear

TDI
2009 VW Jetta
We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 150K on it. I have a sporatic malfunction light that comes on so I PAID THE $95.00 diagnostic fee...what a rip off....to have them tell me I needed a new Particulate Filter and that there were none currently in the country, they cost $5300 and the labor would bring it up to about $6K. What???? They admitted it would have no effect on the engine performance but I wouldn't pass emissions that was due in three months.
My question to you all......is there a way for me to reset the on board computer or something.
I read up that the choice of oil can have an effect on the ASH and that is what this filter does. I use to always change my own oil but had a hard time finding the correct oil on a weekend I set some time aside. What I did was, on Monday I went to the dealer and asked for the correct oil. I can't remember while I'm typing but it has specific numbers that I took out of the manual. The girl at the dealer parts counter told me they do not stock that. HUH.....I then asked if they could fit me in for an oil change ($70.00). They said sure and I have been going there ever since, because the cost of the $70.00 was only $20 more than if I did it myself. That was at 36,000 miles. I am now wondering if the oil THEY use is not up to standard. I wonder how to prove it.
So..is there a work around? The service manager said that the NEW 2013 Passat's do not have this filter and get 50 mpg compared to the 38-40 I am getting out of this 2009. I really wish I kept my 2006! How in the heck do they expect us to want a TDI if we have to pay $6000 every 4 years? ANy ideas?
thanks
andy

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I'd call around to a few dealers. This one sounds like they don't know what they are doing and, from what I've read, the DPF replacement (while very expensive) is less than 6k.

PS. The new Passat has a DPF, but does have a different exhaust treatment with Urea. Also might get a little bump in mpg, but not to 50 if you are at 38.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
my two cents, if the VW parts counter couldn't provide you with the correct oil, then how could the VW service center since they use parts from the parts department....?? You should look at your invoices for your oil changes and confirm what type of oil they were using. You may have a valid arguement.

On a side note, you may not need to replace your DPF either. Go to a reputable repair guy and get a second opinion.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
If your CR TDI engine has the wrong oil in there, it eventually WILL need a new DPF. I say get the car away from that dealer, they are not doing you any favors.

A 507.00 spec oil is what you need and get it in there ASAP. PepBoys sells Mobil1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 oil and it specifically meets VW's 507.00 spec. It is among the best of the 507.00 oils available. Vendors on this site also sell 507.00 oils. You are better off to do all oil changes yourself than trust an incompetent dealer to do it.

Given the car has probably been running for some time on the wrong oil, it may or may not need a new DPF soon. If the wrong oil is in there, it needs to be changed ASAP. Has the yellow exhaust system warning light also been on?

It would be good to take the car on a LONG highway trip and keep your foot into it. This will keep the DPF HOT enough and long enough for passive regeneration to occur. It might help clean it up some. Drive like you stole it!

To reset the Check Engine Light and clear the code, you need to find a TDIclub forum member in your area with VCDS who can scan the car and clear the code. You can also bring it to AutoZone or PepBoys for that.

Good luck.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Sounds to me like the parts manager and shop manager at the OP's dealership need tied to posts and flogged to me. Even the dealer here sells 507.00 oil, Castrol SLX, and are selling it for the same price per liter that O'Reilly's is selling a qt of regular synthetic. None of the auto parts shops I've looked at here sell a suitable oil, and judging from the general level of intelligence of their staffs I doubt that they'd know the difference anyway.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I put a DPF on a Jetta not more than a week ago. There was no back order, and it cost in the range of $1100 (under warranty). For that price it sounds like they are trying to have you replace the whole exhaust AND all of the sensors. Even then I have a hard time figuring out how it all cost that much.

And if it really needs a DPF, for what plugging, then how does it not affect engine performance?

I don't know what to say, but check your receipts for the correct oil.

Jason

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I put a DPF on a Jetta not more than a week ago. There was no back order, and it cost in the range of $1100 (under warranty). For that price it sounds like they are trying to have you replace the whole exhaust AND all of the sensors. Even then I have a hard time figuring out how it all cost that much.

And if it really needs a DPF, for what plugging, then how does it not affect engine performance?

I don't know what to say, but check your receipts for the correct oil.

Jason
2009 Jettas have the DPF integrated with the Cat so it is necessary to replace the whole system. This changed with the 2010+ Jetta so the DPF can be replaced individually.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Provided a dpf for a 2010 mates at the top side a possibility may be to get one for a 2010, cut the old one away from the rest of the exhaust system a have it mig welded in place. Worth checking into as a possibility.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jettas have the DPF integrated with the Cat so it is necessary to replace the whole system. This changed with the 2010+ Jetta so the DPF can be replaced individually.
I'm aware of that. So do the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. The DOC is the top part of the canister and the DPF is the bottom half of the canister, and the canister bolts right up to the turbo. Then there is the NOX reductant cat and SOX cat behind the exhaust flap.

But after 2009 the NOX reductant cat is separate piece and attached by exhaust clamp shell clamps. First year (2009) the NOX reductant cat is part of a single assembly with the DOC and DPF. But recently I have seen VW make us order both separate pieces and clamps to replace the single unit in the 2009.

And I am not aware of any CR TDI Jetta that has a separate DPF and DOC - of course unless you take a cutting wheel to the case.

When I said that $6k quote sounded like the whole thing, I meant it sounded like everything back to exhaust tips and every sensor (of which there are a lot) that screw into the exhaust. Short - sounds like WAY too much $$$

Jason

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I'm aware of that. So do the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. The DOC is the top part of the canister and the DPF is the bottom half of the canister, and the canister bolts right up to the turbo. Then there is the NOX reductant cat and SOX cat behind the exhaust flap.

But after 2009 the NOX reductant cat is separate piece and attached by exhaust clamp shell clamps. First year (2009) the NOX reductant cat is part of a single assembly with the DOC and DPF. But recently I have seen VW make us order both separate pieces and clamps to replace the single unit in the 2009.

And I am not aware of any CR TDI Jetta that has a separate DPF and DOC - of course unless you take a cutting wheel to the case.

When I said that $6k quote sounded like the whole thing, I meant it sounded like everything back to exhaust tips and every sensor (of which there are a lot) that screw into the exhaust. Short - sounds like WAY too much $$$

Jason
They should upon request provide a breakdown of the components and pricing in the quote.

Or you could use this reference. They quote 2,899.00 for the DPF and CAT assembly.

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/parts/...5911&vehicleid=1443117&section=EXHAUST SYSTEM

I think if my DPF goes outside of warranty the nearest salvage yard will be my first stop.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
They should upon request provide a breakdown of the components and pricing in the quote.

Or you could use this reference. They quote 2,899.00 for the DPF and CAT assembly.

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/parts/...5911&vehicleid=1443117&section=EXHAUST SYSTEM

I think if my DPF goes outside of warranty the nearest salvage yard will be my first stop.
Yes they should. I think we all would be better off if we saw a break down of what that $5300 in part includes.

Two points to consider; 1) That is DPF, cat, and NOX cat - all three for $2899
2) unless something has changed - it is illegal for a salvage yard to sell you a cat.

Jason

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I really hope to hear in next while about one of our members who has used this service and can give us what the results were. Cost and quality. Pipe up if you use this service please.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I followed a few links and eventually found a thread on an Australian VW board where someone had taken a die grinder and cut the case open. From his description there is support framework inside and it is very easy to break the substrate when taking apart or fitting back together. He did use a pressure cleaner to blast the DPF substrate out after a bad tune sooted it up.

We just bought a Beetle so I hope when the time comes there will be a service available to clean the DPF.

Jason

prodigitalgear

TDI
2009 VW Jetta
THANK YOU for your COMMENTS!

Basically, what I did last week was go to the dealers parts counter and asked them if I could buy ONE QUART of oil for the 2009 TDI. Well, I was HOPING it would be something other than the 507.00, but it was the Castrol..507.00. I do know when I got my VW in 2009, I bought it in Sept of 2008 and when I went there to buy the 507.00, they said they didn't have that. In any event, the light goes off, on, off, on....but mostly on when we fill up the tank and off when it's about 1/2 way. We do 85% highway driving. Just for the heck of it, we cleaned it up and took it to the dealer and test drove a Passat TDI, 2013. Well......you guessed it. It will be in on Friday and dealer gave us the average NADA on it and we dickered on the top end. It ended up we got a new car at a price we could afford, and they told me the 2013 will not give us that Particulate FIlter issue due to the new exhaust design. We ALMOST went to try a new Jetta, as it is bigger in the back seat, but they said that does NOT have the new exhaust design so we opted for the Passat. My wife is happy...happy wife, happy life..LOL. Because we were MAD, we did go test drive a Honda Accord. They wouldn't give us as much for the trade and to get heated seats we had to up the version. Price ended up being about the same and we opted for the Passat due to the mpg. Hoping to get 40......but...we only got 38 on our Jetta. Thanks again all!
Andy

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
We have a 2009 Jetta TDI with 150K on it. I have a sporatic malfunction light that comes on so I PAID THE $95.00 diagnostic fee...what a rip off....to have them tell me I needed a new Particulate Filter and that there were none currently in the country, they cost $5300 and the labor would bring it up to about $6K. What???? They admitted it would have no effect on the engine performance but I wouldn't pass emissions that was due in three months.
My question to you all......is there a way for me to reset the on board computer or something.
I read up that the choice of oil can have an effect on the ASH and that is what this filter does. I use to always change my own oil but had a hard time finding the correct oil on a weekend I set some time aside. What I did was, on Monday I went to the dealer and asked for the correct oil. I can't remember while I'm typing but it has specific numbers that I took out of the manual. The girl at the dealer parts counter told me they do not stock that. HUH.....I then asked if they could fit me in for an oil change ($70.00). They said sure and I have been going there ever since, because the cost of the $70.00 was only $20 more than if I did it myself. That was at 36,000 miles. I am now wondering if the oil THEY use is not up to standard. I wonder how to prove it.
So..is there a work around? The service manager said that the NEW 2013 Passat's do not have this filter and get 50 mpg compared to the 38-40 I am getting out of this 2009. I really wish I kept my 2006! How in the heck do they expect us to want a TDI if we have to pay $6000 every 4 years? ANy ideas?
thanks
andy
I don't know if it would apply to your particular application, but we clean our school bus particulate filters by taking them off and using compressed air blow them out. I'm not familiar with the newer tdi's but if you can remove it, it might be worth a try. Sure beats $6k

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The passat still has a DPF, it can get clog just like your Jetta. If you expect the passat to get 150K without a DPF being replaced, you maybe shocked. Time will tell.

Either way sucks to buy any used TDI with 100K+ and not having a code reader.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
but still clogable! (is that a word?)

Repeated city driving of 2 miles a trip that DPF light will come on.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Well sure, but with a simple DPF you could take it to a commercial diesel shop, pay 'me $200 or so and they'd clean it the same way they do for the trucks vs buying a new DPF at $1000++