Diesel Fuel lubricity article, straight from Bosch

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Re: Diesel Fuel lubricity article, straight from B

This article was posted a long time ago, but I doubt anyone could turn it up in a search. Thanks for reposting it.

Anyone can look at the pictures alone and see exactly why some lubricity additive is a MUST HAVE for nearly any fuel offered in the United States. Even with upcoming low sulfur standards, I doubt anyone in the US government will set any specification for lubricity of fuel.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
Although, it is an old post, they make prophetic predictions for our CR engines - look at page 23:
"All high-pressure fuel-lubricated injection systems are exceedingly lubricity-sensitive
and require clean fuels (no free water and/or contamination)"

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
So what lubricity additive should I use? I just took delivery of a new Passat TDI.

LA_VW

TDI
2003 Golf TDI Automatic
Tried Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant? Easily available, and personally I think it works way better at providing lubricity than PS.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Tried Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant? Easily available, and personally I think it works way better at providing lubricity than PS.
You have a 2003 TDI. For modern CR engines, you would want to make sure that any additive you use is ULSD compatible. You do not want your additive to mess with your (expensive) emissions system. For this reason, I would stick with ASTM Biodiesel or a well known brand name additive like PowerService, Stanadyne, Opti-Lube, etc.

Have Fun!

Don

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
I run b20 all year. The infamous Spicer report convinced me that no additive is equal to bio for lubricity. We'll all know more in a few hundred k miles.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
For modern CR engines, you would want to make sure that any additive you use is ULSD compatible. You do not want your additive to mess with your (expensive) emissions system.
Don
I have never seen on any additive vendor publish information that states how much sulfur their product contains.

Some vendor say their additive is ULSD compatible. Does that mean their product itself is compatible and does not add to the sulfer concentration of the fuel? Or is the fuel itself still ULSD compatible after the additive is added?

If the latter is true, then the product itself is not ULSD compatible. Adding the additive will DECREASE your emmission life span. One would have to balance that with the benefits of adding the additive.

But since the vendors of additives are mum on the subject and VW does not recomment adding additives for the CR engines fuel (possibly because it might affect the DPF), I tend to think that adding additives is a matter of choosing what risks you want to protect yourself against.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I run b20 all year. The infamous Spicer report convinced me that no additive is equal to bio for lubricity. We'll all know more in a few hundred k miles.

Already there, but I have been using 2-cycle oil instead since bio isn't readily available locally.

No lip at the top of the cylinder when I took the head off at 393,000 miles and here are some pictures of the pistons, which I just soaked up the coolant from and did not clean. Compression was still from 460 to 500 psi in all cylinders and the head had never been off the car.

I really expected to see a bunch of buildup since I'd been running it for a long long time.

I don't care what the reports say, I'll keep running it in my car, along with the Power Service.

Sorry I can't help with anything on the CR's, those are a whole different animal.

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Abacus, looks great! I too am a 2 stroke oil & PS mix proponent. I use 5 oz of PS & 3 oz Merc marine 2 stroke every other fill-up. What are your quantities?

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
This is good advice for those of you with older TDIs.

For those of us with CR TDIs (2009 and newer), VW does not endorse exceeding B5. And when it comes to lubricity, it doesn't seem to be a more-the-merrier thing; that is, bio percentages above B2 offer little or no additional lubricity above B2. Most of lubricity bang is already received at B1. B2 is slightly better than B1. Anything more than B2 does nothing to increase lubricity.

I'm not sure if I read this in Spicer or some other biodiesel analysis report, but that's what it said.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Abacus, looks great! I too am a 2 stroke oil & PS mix proponent. I use 5 oz of PS & 3 oz Merc marine 2 stroke every other fill-up. What are your quantities?

I use 1 oz 2 cycle oil and 1/2 oz PS per gallon of diesel at every fillup. I don't go over 16 oz of 2 cycle oil or 8 oz of PS though, since my measuring container is 16 oz and I figure it's not going to change anything much. Still on the original injection pump and turbo as well, and the IP looked mint when I resealed it at 386K.

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
Already there, but I have been using 2-cycle oil instead since bio isn't readily available locally.

No lip at the top of the cylinder when I took the head off at 393,000 miles and here are some pictures of the pistons, which I just soaked up the coolant from and did not clean. Compression was still from 460 to 500 psi in all cylinders and the head had never been off the car.

I really expected to see a bunch of buildup since I'd been running it for a long long time.

I don't care what the reports say, I'll keep running it in my car, along with the Power Service.

Sorry I can't help with anything on the CR's, those are a whole different animal.
Looks clean. That's what I want mine to look like. I used 2 cycle oil until I discovered bio nearby. I also agree that b2 may be enough to provide good lubricity. . . I'm just using what is available locally.