www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

View Poll Results: Which words in raised white letter for my tire sidewalls? See post #220 for pictures
NARFATOMIC BLASTOMIC 0 0%
NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC 4 23.53%
NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST 0 0%
NARF ATOMIC BLAST 1 5.88%
NARF BLAST 5 29.41%
NARFBLAST ATOMIC 1 5.88%
NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST 1 5.88%
NARFATOMIC ATOMICBLAST 0 0%
NARF ATOMIC BLASTOMATIC 2 11.76%
EPIC FACEPALM 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 17th, 2012, 00:42   #151
dubboy2707

TDI(s): Passat B5

Looks great. it sits really nice. What happened to the Front light brush gaurd and tailgate spare wheel idea are you still doing them????? Hope so
dubboy2707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:03   #152
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubboy2707 View Post
What happened to the Front light brush gaurd and tailgate spare wheel idea are you still doing them?
Maybe next year, been kind of busy with my new full time job, trying to take care of the new bigger house and property and keeping the three kids out of trouble while my wife works long hours:

Once all the leaves were cleaned up I started thinking about snow, and it consumed my free time (a few hours a week) for a couple of months:

I built the plow blade out of an old home heating oil storage tank that I found on the property. The mount was made out of spare parts I had collected from at my old job. Most of these brackets used to hold networking equipment for shipping or mounting. Also used angle iron from old bed frames and a piece of iron gas pipe.

The above picture was taken after an intense shake down and one of the mounting plates is bent and pulling away from the bolts. So it had to come apart and get welded:

I wanted to make sure I wasn't just spinning my wheels during the first snow fall so I found some 16" tire chains on the side of the road, and turned them into 20" tire chains:

Finally, my research told me that extra weight in the back is sometimes needed to enhance traction. I figured instead of just hanging weight off the back I would get one of these cargo carriers from Princess Auto (on sale 50% off ofcouse): http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8137986/

So I had to make a 2" receiver for the back of the tractor, as a bonus when I tow using this hitch I can make much tighter turns because the pivot is moved away from the back wheels of the tractor:

So that is why I haven't made the brush guard for the Golf yet.

Edit: adding close up picture of trailer hitch, very happy with how this came out:

Added lights for short trips beyond the driveway:

Update Dec 31, 2012: Plows Snow like a boss:

Of course to be thorough I tried moving snow without the tire chains and then without weight on the back and could definitely see the difference especially when the front tires fall off the driveway into the snow bank and you need the the weight, chains, and to lean back to back up.

Sprint 520's / RC3 / sweet turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast

Last edited by NarfBLAST; December 31st, 2012 at 08:09.
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:29   #153
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Turned 498 Megameters on the odometer yesterday.

The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:30   #154
dubboy2707

TDI(s): Passat B5

Looks like you have been busy. Tractor looks great.
I can't talk as i have been making a brush gaurd form my B5 passat for 12 months. Keep up the good work with all your projects and keep us all posted.
dubboy2707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:49   #155
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarfBLAST View Post
Turned 498 Megameters on the odometer yesterday.

Awesome! Almost to 0.5 gigameters!
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 16:07   #156
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Awesome! Almost to 0.5 gigameters!
wow 500,000kms and 12 winters or so...and they say VWs arent tough....congrats...please post with the 500,000km shots when you turn 500K
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:43   #157
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Added motivational Europlate:

I turned the legal plate holder upside down to get it up higher to fit the Europlate under it. The Europlate holder is mounted with two large self tapping screws into the plastic bumper.

Great price from www.europlates.com, got the holder and the matching key chain all are top quality and shipping was reasonable. Only notes: the Canadian plate says "CDN" not "CAN" as advertised online and on my receipt (I let the company know, just a small thing). Also, only the Canadian flag, letters CDN and blue background are reflective (which is probably a good thing as far as legality is concerned). I have read the Highway Traffic Act for Ontario and my take is that the legal front plate must be unaltered and visible up front and there should not be other plates that resemble or could be confused with the legal plate. Will post an update if I get pulled over, but unlikely I think.

Last edited by NarfBLAST; January 8th, 2013 at 08:51.
Old January 27th, 2013, 22:26   #158
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Rolled over 500,000 - Click here for the video on YouTube

Old January 28th, 2013, 15:38   #159
Louis_TDI
Veteran Member

congrats
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:38   #160
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

A major learning opportunity for me:

The rear brakes were still dragging and eating thru pads even with my silly springs attached. While attempting to replace the pads on the left rear I accidentally broke the rusty hard line just ahead of the flexible hose to the caliper. I happened to have a spare set of rear calipers from an axle I had picked up from a member who was throwing it away. I probably should have done this sooner but I was afraid to mess with bleed screws and banjo bolts because I had never done it before.

Since I now had to order a brake line I also ordered a set of seals to rebuild the calipers. Turns out the the calipers from the free axle where nice and clean inside compared to the ones that were on the car that had corrosion and marks and melted rubber inside.

I replaced the left rear caliper a few days ago and I replaced the right caliper tonight with new pads and a used Zimmerman coated rotor I had saved. There is absolutely zero drag now the car will roll right out of the garage when I take the parking brake off (hasn't done that in a while). Also the brakes are a little firmer than before, and the parking brake works.

The car continues to teach me things, now I can confidently replace a brake line, rebuild a caliper and bleed brakes!

Last edited by NarfBLAST; January 30th, 2013 at 21:40.
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:55   #161
bobt2382
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: 46.5

Congrats on passing 500K and brake experience. I love this thread!
2010 4D CWhite Golf TDI, 6 sp manual, Fluidampr, Bixenons, Rear Airbags, RNS-510, Dynaudio, DieselGeek SS & P2015 bracket, Force Fed Eng. Shifter Bushings. XB,UB, & RB UNIbraces; TyrolSport Brake Caliper Bushing, 2Micron Contain/PureFlow kits & timing belt cover, PolarFis MFD module, Euro light switch, R Red LED Tail Lights,Under Seat Drawers, Full color MFD cluster.
bobt2382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:36   #162
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Was watching Jay Leno's Garage video of his SLR McLaren and was delighted to find that it has a push button start in the gear stick like my car! So, yeah.

Jay's Video, go to 8:50 to see the push button start
12:36 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren - Jay Leno's Garage

My Video
1:35 Push Button Ignition on Thrustmaster Shifter

Last edited by NarfBLAST; February 10th, 2013 at 12:41.
Old February 27th, 2013, 00:30   #163
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Some random bling:

Took this photo with my Blackberry 9320, thought the bling burst with the circle was pretty cool. This is one of the drawers in my bottom of the line "Job Mate" (Canadian Tire Bargain Brand?) Tool cabinet. I love this thing dearly. Feels good when all the tools are there.
Old February 28th, 2013, 19:11   #164
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

So the injection pump started leaking again (I never did replace the seals), and the bottom of my engine and top of the plastic splash guards are pretty grimy, and it has been really wet and slushy on the roads, so my car made me a special present the other day: a double rainbow.

They remind me of flames, but they are an extremely thin film of hydrocarbons floating on water. I wish I could capture these as a set of racing stripes on my car. They were even more beautiful when they were in motion, should have tried to get a video but at the time I thought that would be weird.

edit: fixed the links so you can click to enlarge (login to pics.tdiclub required)

Last edited by NarfBLAST; February 28th, 2013 at 19:19.
Old March 16th, 2013, 16:09   #165
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Update on the oil leak: it has gotten much worse, I don't think it is related to diesel fuel from the injection pump since the pump has been dry on the outside for a few weeks now.
The oil leak is as bad as when the oil feed line to the turbo was leaking last summer (teaspoon of oil on the garage floor every time I park the car).
I took plastic cover off the bottom of the engine bay and found oil in the same places as last summer. So I wondered, could it be as simple as the new oil feed line was not tight enough? I put a 17mm wrench on it and snugged it up nearly a quarter turn today. It is possible that I did not tighten it enough in the first place, long story, if interested read on:
When removing the old oil feed line the threaded union (that you are supposed to counter hold) came out with it, here is a picture of the part:

When I put the above pictured threaded union back in last summer I over torqued it and broke off the skinny part inside the turbo. Luckily the broken threads came right out. So I had to replace this part at a cost of $67 at my local VW dealer. Tentatively I snugged the new part with its crush washer very gently into the turbo then very carefully threaded the giant 17mm nut from the oil feed line with the course threads on to the top of this little guy and just snugged it up. It didn't leak at the time so I figured it was all good.
Six months and 20,000km later I am hoping this is where the oil is coming from this time. It seems to be coming from the same place. Will post an update after a few test drives.

Update: after a test drive got a few drips from the center of the turbo area, the two bolts on the oil return line flange on the turbo were wet and there was a drip below that on the oil return line and the passenger drive shaft was all soaked. I could not budge the return line bolts with a nut driver by hand so I tried snugging the oil feed line nut another 1/8 turn and then I idled it in the air and revved it a few times with no new oil leak so will see after a few test drives.

Last edited by NarfBLAST; March 16th, 2013 at 18:18.