Will drive to get leaking IP fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarchangel

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I have a 2003 TDI wagon with a leaking I.P. at 91,000 miles. I run the greasecar kit on it and have been since I bought it at 41,000 miles. All the mehanics in Vegas say they don't have the proper machine which will allow them to do a seal job on this model year's TDI I.P., so they say the only option I have in town is to buy a new I.P. and have them install it at $100 an hour.

I don't want to spend $1,500 to $2,000 on this job, I'm still paying off the turbo I blew (long story). Since I run on free waste veg oil and I have the vacation time, please, anyone, tell me (contact info, web page, anything) where I can get this job done and I'll drive there. The locals didn't say a seal replacement wasn't possible, they just said they didn't have the equipment to do it.

Thanks in advace.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
diarchangel said:
I have a 2003 TDI wagon with a leaking I.P. at 91,000 miles. I run the greasecar kit on it and have been since I bought it at 41,000 miles. All the mehanics in Vegas say they don't have the proper machine which will allow them to do a seal job on this model year's TDI I.P., so they say the only option I have in town is to buy a new I.P. and have them install it at $100 an hour.

I don't want to spend $1,500 to $2,000 on this job, I'm still paying off the turbo I blew (long story). Since I run on free waste veg oil and I have the vacation time, please, anyone, tell me (contact info, web page, anything) where I can get this job done and I'll drive there. The locals didn't say a seal replacement wasn't possible, they just said they didn't have the equipment to do it.

Thanks in advace.
The IP leak is the least of your problems if you're running grease. Sorry no free lunch.

I'd be interested to see the inside of the IP and what it looks like.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Why not take that pile of cash not spent on fuel and just buy a new pump and have it installed? It is probably so tooefed inside it is not worth resealing. Seen that enough.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Whatever you do, get it to a Guru from this site if there is one in the Vegas area who is willing to look at a greased TDI. That way you will at least know if it can be resealed or if it's time to pay the piper...

diarchangel

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Wow, what a collection of incredibly useless suggestions. It's a good thing I'm resourceful enough to do the research myself, calling every TDI repair place west of Vegas. I thought I'd take a shot with this forum. Usually these things are filled with people who enjoy helping others and who give great suggestions.

As for the WVO naysayers: you're just dummies. I'd rather pay $2g to my local mechanic any day than give it to the oil companies.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
diarchangel said:
Wow, what a collection of incredibly useless suggestions. It's a good thing I'm resourceful enough to do the research myself, calling every TDI repair place west of Vegas. I thought I'd take a shot with this forum. Usually these things are filled with people who enjoy helping others and who give great suggestions.

As for the WVO naysayers: you're just dummies. I'd rather pay $2g to my local mechanic any day than give it to the oil companies.
good luck pal, just keep bashing the guys who know what they are talking about , IE (oilhammer)

read this

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=186108&highlight=wvo

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
diarchangel said:

So tell us, Oh great and powerful TV producer. Why should anyone here lift a single finger to help you in any way or at any time? You have shown us how you treat people when they try to help you and it appears to be an unprofitable endeavor for any who would dare.

Now take up your ungrateful self and begone with you. :p

Bill

PaPa Bulldog

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Boost Master
diarchangel said:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215038&highlight=wvo

There are many reasons not to, and a few compelling (for me) reasons to. Perhaps this will relieve some of the tension in the other threads discussing WVO. Direct a newbie to this thread if they are considering it.

Reasons not to:

You are taking a risk in possibly damaging your engine with a still uncertain fuel. Most folks wait till after their waranty is expired. People are logging hundreds of thousands of miles on WVO without problems. Others are having very expensive problems much sooner. Decide if you are comfortable with the risk.

You ask for help, and then get an answer that's unliked by you, and you think the members are stupid? I consider the guys here to be very knowledgable everything TDI, and am amazed most of the time with all the know how. Just my .02 but who am I?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
diarchangel said:
I don't want to spend $1,500 to $2,000 on this job, I'm still paying off the turbo I blew (long story).
diarchangel said:
Make up your mind! Are you going to pay for the repair or not?? But after paying $2500 for a turbo, I can understand not wanting to pay more.

If the WVO naysayers are dummies, who blew a turbo and now an IP...? It's pretty rare for IPs and turbos to fail from running the fuel that VW designed the car to run on.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
diarchangel said:

He works in TV reporting. Why do deep research on any issue to report thoroughly, when a cursory study of a subject will do?

Fact. WVO and TDIs are not a good fit. Other, less technical diesel vehicles can run WVO although they will also suffer long-term damage.

Do some research on biodiesel production. Don't give your money to the oil companies. Convert your WVO to a safe fuel for your TDI.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
diarchangel said:

uber tool....:rolleyes:

biopete

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta 1998, A4 Jetta 2001
dairchangel , don't worry about these guys. They never get tired of being broken records telling people what fuel to use as if you didn't already give it careful thought. ULSD caused a flood of IP leaks when it came on the market. Mixing fuels, biodiesel, ulsd, and or wvo will cause old seals to fail. THis problem is posted all over this place on all kinds of cars that never had wvo in them. It does not mean your ip is dead. Where is it leaking from? It's not hard to do. I'd love to do it but it'd be a long drive to TN. I love working on WVO cars . The fuel won't give you cancer.

If these rude people really wanted to know if wvo caused your problem they would look at your car. But they just want to run their mouths.
They can't respect your decision and support you because they have only superficial dreams of shiny new tdi engines with plenty of petrol to get where they want to go fast. Why should you want anything more? Nevermind that Rudolph Diesel himself wanted more fuel choices for his engine and did not want to sell out to the petrol companies and he would not let them put is name on their dirty fuel.

Good luck getting your ip fixed and let us know what you find. Get your seals from dieselgeek. He has a good how to on the oring if that is where it is leaking.

Boys, why don't you all put your money where your mouth is and have a look at his IP and

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
You need to find out from where the fuel leaks. If leak is from the rear (the cast iron part with four outlets that is screwed to aliminum body, the fix is relatively simple that does not involve pump removal. It requires replacing a "O" ring. There is a procedure of replacing the ring on this site.

If the leak is from the front, that is, the shaft on which the pump gear is bolted, that you will need to remove the pump. Again there is procedure to do that on this site.

If the leak is from top area, you can fix those without replacing the pump.

I have seen pump fixing kit on e-bay for $30-$40. There is also an individual who can reseal your pump for about 250-300 on e-bay (type VW Diesel on e-bay site). Of course you will have to remove the pump and ship it to this person. Removing and instillation are not difficult procedures. So give a shot.

Alternatively, if you can locate the leak and it is not from the shaft, you may dry the area and use J-B Weld to seal the sucker for good.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm a dummy!!! :D I knew it!!! :p

Wait, who came where asking for help again? :rolleyes:

You've got a 2003 and you have not even reached 100k miles and you have already eaten a turbo and now have pump problems....hrm.... well if I am the dummy, and being a dummy lets my engines and related parts live much longer, then GUILTY AS CHARGED.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
biopete said:
If these rude people really wanted to know if wvo caused your problem they would look at your car. But they just want to run their mouths.
They can't respect your decision and support you because they have only superficial dreams of shiny new tdi engines with plenty of petrol to get where they want to go fast. Why should you want anything more? Nevermind that Rudolph Diesel himself wanted more fuel choices for his engine and did not want to sell out to the petrol companies and he would not let them put is name on their dirty fuel.

Boys, why don't you all put your money where your mouth is and have a look at his IP and
I'd give advice but by the time I was going to respond all we got was a big stink finger from them....Hey you get what you deserve.....

And it's a choice for a shop to NOT work on a car with that stinky, rancid nasty stuff. And I bet the inside of that pump is rusted out. Nerer seen one that wasn't.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Diarchangel;

You may have figured out that running WVO is very much a caveat emptor issue here.

And the people here are not reluctant to point this out.

I think everyone here would be interested in seeing the insides of your IP - as either a way to confirm long-held suspicions or to vidicate the use of WVO.

The TDIs today are not the VW Rabbits of old, and do not suffer altered fuel gladly. As long as this is understood up front, then you will find this a very supportive group and the collective knowledge of these cars is staggering.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Diarchangel, to stick around at TDIClub and be someone who uses WVO, you need to have some thick skin. There are plenty of naysayers and those who will certainly pop into a thread just to troll. If you can sort through the negative though, and provide thorough details, someone will offer up a pretty good diagnosis. Come back with negativity yourself and you will be treated like a lepper. Life sucks that way sometimes. I have argued with many on here, but in the end I stick around because there are some incredibly bright TDI folks in here. I offer that advice not to stick up for some of the posters here, but hopefully to get you to stick around long enough to at least get your problem sorted.

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
If you want a good reason not too run WVO, have a look at your deep frier next time you emtpy the oil out of it. See all that sticky, gummy mess inside it? That's coating the inside of your injection system when you use this stuff in your engine.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
If it was such a great fuel, why wouldn't food processing plants run their trucks on the stuff? Free fuel to deliver the product...what could be better.

You also have to wonder what the WVO is doing to your engine, as every combustion event is diluting your engine oil and caking engine rings.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
chimaera said:
If you want a good reason not too run WVO, have a look at your deep frier next time you emtpy the oil out of it. See all that sticky, gummy mess inside it? That's coating the inside of your injection system when you use this stuff in your engine.
I believe what you are talking about is polymerization which you are bound to see in a fryer due to the oil being cycled from hot to cold numerous times while exposed to the air. Heat and air exposure, as well as contact with certain metals leads to polymerization. I feel a fryer is much different than WVO running through your injection system in a closed system, which is then flushed with diesel fuel after every use. I'm not saying poly can't happen when running WVO, but to compare the inside of your injectors and IP to the inside of a dirty fryer is just fear mongering.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
greenskeeper said:
If it was such a great fuel, why wouldn't food processing plants run their trucks on the stuff? Free fuel to deliver the product...what could be better.

You also have to wonder what the WVO is doing to your engine, as every combustion event is diluting your engine oil and caking engine rings.
One reason is that WVO is not an EPA approved fuel, so the company could not legally run their trucks on it.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The naysayers aren't being naysayers just to be @ssholes. The gurus, trusted mechanics, and even the dealers have probably seen collectively hundreds of WVO cars with pumps that have been destroyed, pistons with holes burnt though them from clogged injectors, and bottom & top ends destroyed when the crank case oil "polymerized" because of blowby off the crap that doesn't burn. That crap also builds up in the injector nozzles, altering injection spray patterns. The crap builds up on rings and valves causing all sorts of compression issues. Plus, WVO is usually contaminated with sodium. Since it's nearly impossible to remove all the water from WVO, water + sodium = rust in the injector pump.

The evidence has moved beyond annecdotal for not running WVO in a TDI. Older Diesels such as the IDI VW engines, old MB engines, IDI Ford/Navastar engines, which all run low pressure injection systems seem to tolerate WVO a lot better.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
MayorDJQ said:
The naysayers aren't being naysayers just to be @ssholes. The gurus, trusted mechanics, and even the dealers have probably seen collectively hundreds of WVO cars with pumps that have been destroyed, pistons with holes burnt though them from clogged injectors, and bottom & top ends destroyed when the crank case oil "polymerized" because of blowby off the crap that doesn't burn. That crap also builds up in the injector nozzles, altering injection spray patterns. The crap builds up on rings and valves causing all sorts of compression issues. Plus, WVO is usually contaminated with sodium. Since it's nearly impossible to remove all the water from WVO, water + sodium = rust in the injector pump.

The evidence has moved beyond annecdotal for not running WVO in a TDI. Older Diesels such as the IDI VW engines, old MB engines, IDI Ford/Navastar engines, which all run low pressure injection systems seem to tolerate WVO a lot better.
So what about those of us having success running WVO? How about Chasee with easily 130K on a TDI? Not saying it is for everyone and there certainly are risks involved, but you can't say it is a given that it equals fail automatically.:rolleyes:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
vwcampin said:
So what about those of us having success running WVO? How about Chasee with easily 130K on a TDI? Not saying it is for everyone and there certainly are risks involved, but you can't say it is a given that it equals fail automatically.:rolleyes:
I never said WVO = Automatic failure. All I said is that the evidence has moved beyond anecdotal. How many WVO miles do you have on your car? Do periodically open up the IP, valve cover, oil pan to check for sludge buildup.

If one is meticulous about filtering and processing the water out of your WVO, you'll get more miles than someone who's haphazzard. Add to that meticoulus maintenance--oil changes, etc.--you'll also have better luck. I'm sure that in some of the failures, the owner thought he/she was being thourough.

The simple fact stands: VW & Bosch designed the TDI to run on Diesel fuel. Not not WVO or SVO. A TDI may run reasonably well on Bio, but even Bio presents certain risks.

Using WVO in a TDI is a lot like eating lots of fast food: it may not give someone a heart attack the day he eats his 1st, 10th, or 1,000th Big Mac, but it's still bad for you.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Can you tell where the leak is coming from? If its the head seal, why don't you replace that since they are so inexpensive and you'll have the time? The head seal R&R instructions on the dieselgeek site are very detailed. They also offer the complete seal kit, instructions may be found by searching tdiclub.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=430

Coincidentally, I have an 03 jetta wagon w/ 91K miles also. It still has the stock IP and turbo, but has only been modified to increase power output.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
vwcampin said:
One reason is that WVO is not an EPA approved fuel, so the company could not legally run their trucks on it.

While this is true for a commercial outfit, it is equally true for a private individual if they are on a public highway. (you could farm with it, for instance by running it in your tractor).

I am not trolling or trying to pick a fight. Just pointing out something that is overlooked rather conveniently on the forums.

If a person were to stick to the fine points of the TdiClub rules we would not be discussing WVO at all because it is not EPA approved as a motor fuel... hence, its' use on a public road is not legal.

Please don't bring up the fact that other things that are not 'approved' are talked about on the forums. That is childish and just serves to potentially bring down the club itself.

It would seem to me (and I believe, others) that the constant pot stirring going on in the Alt Fuel forum is indicative of a self destructive desire by some residents there as a means to shut that forum down and 'blame' the regular TdiClub members for it.

For a little insight into what do the Greasecar bunch say about our forum:

http://www.greasecar.com/forum_topicview.cfm?frmtopicID=19590

Kinda interesting. Some of them sound rather hateful and jealous, don't they?

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.