Oil Leak Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield (I'm stumped)

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
I can't find this oil leak. The only clue I have is the metal heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold.

I just replaced intake/exhaust gaskets. I bought all new bolts and torqued everything properly. The turbo oil supply line and everything around are bone dry.

TOP VIEW

BOTTOM VIEW

FOR REFERENCE
Here is what it looked like before I took everything apart and cleaned it.

EDIT

Could it be leaking from this post?

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
While looking for an exhaust leak, I found that the #1 cylinder exhaust gasket is leaking. I only found it by looking at just the right angle while the car was running and I could see itsy bitsy bubbles at the joint. It is making a similar, though smaller mess on the heat shield.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I've got oil mucking up that same area which then drips down all over the engine and makes a mess of my skid plate and wherever I park. Look at the side of the head between the timing belt backing plate and the exhaust manifold. I've got oil coming from that area which I believe is either coming from the crankshaft seal or the valve cover.

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
Naimanator said:
Yeah, camshaft seal, that's what I meant.
I've never done a TB change before so I'm not familiar with the parts. I looked all around the pictured area and found no signs of oil leak (after I pulled the plastic cover off).

I noticed I'm missing a tiny screw that holds the plastic bracket to the engine (underneath the EGR). Is it worth replacing?

Last edited:

Raxum

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Beetle
The leak is coming from the egr valve where it bolts up to the intake manifold. Boost presure pushes oir and oil out the seal. Did you remove the EGR valve when you did your exhoust seal and did you put on a new seal under the EGR valve.

honesttussey

TDI
Jetta MkIV
Raxum said:
The leak is coming from the egr valve where it bolts up to the intake manifold. Boost presure pushes air and oil out the seal. Did you remove the EGR valve when you did your exhaust seal and did you put on a new seal under the EGR valve.
Put a new seal there. Torqued down to spec.