Cluster software, mileage, MkIV / B5

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Hi, all!
So, I did a dumb thing, and I’m wondering if anyone can help me fix it.
The car: '02 Passat (1.8t, FWD, wagon; U.S.)

Situation:
I wanted to correct the slightly-high MFA mileage calculation (because, well, it annoyed me) – and, I believe that I did just that (using info from Chris (Occams_Razor) on tdiclub.) Change value, save .eep file, and write it back to the cluster. (This is an Immo3 cluster, so that adaptation channel isn't available. Need to do it in the code directly, instead of with VCDS.)
Here’s where I did something stupid:
Instead of dumping the cluster in its current state, and modifying that dump, I used the last dump that I had from the cluster – which was almost 2 months old. It over-wrote the mileage, dropping it by almost 1,000 miles. Whoops!

So, obviously, the odometer is stored somewhere in the dump – and, can be over-written. I don’t suppose that anyone might know where in the cluster software that it is, so that I can fix my mistake, perhaps?

My other option is to try to use the (quite old) copy of Vag-Tacho that I have (which can be flaky), or VagDashCan, and see if I can fix it that way. But, I also know that there’s a risk of bricking the cluster that way.
At least, I have good experience with writing a modified .eep to the cluster, without killing the thing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I would understand completely if nobody wants to post this information publicly in the forum. If anyone has the answer, feel free to send me a PM here.

Thanks again!

-Chris