Need help ASAP. Fans and AC quit!

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
So today ac stop working also fans stop working. 1) replace the 30 amp fuse on top of battery. Also nothing was melted. 2) checked all fuses in car. 3) unplugged triangular plug on bottom of radiator , guessing it goes to thermal temp sensor in radiator. I jumped out 1 and 2 (top and bottom right with switch off and nothing happen. Now I have bottom 2 plugs jumped out with a piece of wire and fans run switch on. I am out of state and was wondering if it would be ok to drive home (300) miles with it this way????? I’m guessing a faulty fan module ?!?!

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Mine sometimes does this and I have to wiggle and tap the power distribution box on top of the battery. Wiggling it must improve a connection and fans start running again. VW electrics ...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, you are hot wiring the Temp Sensor in the Rad to make the Fans run? Right?

Does the AC compressor kick-in?

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Yes . I literally have a piece of with jumping out the bottom 2) terminls in temp sensor plug. Didn’t notice the compressor kick on at all.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
If you are doing gentle highway miles and have an accurate temperature gauge you should have no trouble. I ran with intermittent fan operation failure for a few years without trouble.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
City driving is essentially off the table.
Agreed that gentle highway driving is safe so long as you watch the gauge.
Especially at this time of year.
Still may want to limit the long trips until evening.

I remember overheating then getting on the highway and watching the temperature drop quickly.
More air being forced through the engine compartment cooling the engine quicker

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Well fans are currently working on HI setting now jumped out switch on! My question is would it be ok to drive like this ? If so I’m gonna replace the bare wire with a 30 amp coated wire jumper wire ! It’s a beetle so I only have the idiot light! Wish there was a gauge to watch. I’m just trying to keep these fans running long enough to get home Thursday . I’m in Florida now headed home to Alabama soon.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The Thermo Switch in the Radiator is not connected to the circuits related to the AC.. period.

Assuming the AC circuits are all working properly, the Thermo switch can be bad or unplugged and the AC will work just fine. Thus, basically they are two separate systems using some of the same devices, namely the Fans.

Simply put, if something in the AC circuits has caused the Fans to quit working, it will not affect the function of the Thermo Switch. My guess is the Fan Control Module (FCM) has gone kaput if the AC compressor is not kicking in.

When you turn on the in-dash Fan and push in the AC button, does it light up?

As for running the fans constantly, well, if you were on a cross-country trip in mid-July with the AC on, those fans would be on continuously. So, running them all the time should not hurt anything.

EDIT: For engine cooling purposes, the fans out front hardly ever kick on while the vehicle is up to speed. There is more than enough air flow to maintain cooling needs. The fans are primarily for stop and go as well as AC function.

EDIT 2: The Thermo (Coolant Fan Control Thermal Switch) switch on the radiator turns on the fans at Low Speed directly (not thru the FCM) based on coolant temp in the radiator at the switch. If the temp is high enough (based on the Coolant Temp Sensor in the coolant flange on the end of the head), the ECU will send the signal via the Fan Control Module to turn the fans on High.

So, I feel quite certain your "no AC and no Fans" is due to an AC circuit issue. Also, not mentioned above, the outside Temp sensor can be an issue. It is located below the windshield on the driver's side behind the cowl.... sort of hard to get to. If critters have chewed one or both wires in two, the AC system will not operate (ask me how I know).

Last edited:

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Yes the AC light is lit when I push it! Since I could not jump the fans out on low with key off , I also suspect the fan control module being bad. Also read, the fan control module being bad can cause AC compressor not to work. AC worked fine last nite and today nothing.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep, the AC compressor clutch gets it's current via the Fan Control Module.

So, you really don't need to hot-wire your fans. The Thermo Switch will turn them on per the temp of the coolant, as necessary.

Although the NB doesn't have a Temp Gauge, there is a sensor that will turn on a red light in the cluster if it is over heating....... I don't like to call them idiot lights... they will get your attention. And, even though there is a gauge in other cars, if you don't frequently watch it, well, you'll not know an overheat is in progress.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Only reason I jumped the fans out was the fact they would not work with the ac turned on. So I was afraid they may not run in low speed either. Just in case the FCM lost low fan speed too. And didn’t won’t to find out the hard way backed up in traffic on the interstate! Thanks for your input also. I have a temp sensor and a FCM ordered on the way. Hopefully is the FCM bad.

Last edited:

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Only reason I jumped the fans out was the fact they would not work with the ac turned on. So I was afraid they may not run in low speed either. Just in case the FCM lost low fan speed too. And didn’t won’t to find out the hard way backed up in traffic on the interstate! Thanks for your input also. I have a temp sensor and a FCM ordered on the way. Hopefully the FCM bad.
I love this car. I’ve several over the years and this one always stays around. Wish I could find another one in the south as nice.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Put a new FCM module on car today and nothing! Started inspecting compressor and realized the whole clutch assembly was gone !! Nothing there but a washer hanging on the splined shaft. So far haven’t been able to find just the clutch but still looking.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Put a new FCM module on car today and nothing! Started inspecting compressor and realized the whole clutch assembly was gone !! Nothing there but a washer hanging on the splined shaft. So far haven’t been able to find just the clutch but still looking.
I've lost the clutch face off too ....

AC Clutch Face:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compres...ash=item1a2d8b94a0:g:Bs0AAMXQ-BZQ-1mY&vxp=mtr

AC Clutch, complete assembly: I've used this one for over a year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Com...ash=item419cfeba80:g:mlEAAOSwLqFV977T&vxp=mtr

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
I actually ordered the whole assembly . First im just gonna try and replace the face and see if i can get it shimmed correctly .015-.030 and go from there ! Its hard to believe that nylon nut on the clutch worked its way off .

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Advice: Do not use an aluminum or brass washer for a shim... That was my mistake that caused the clutch face to fall off my AC Compressor.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Enabled, I believe he found the problem and purchased a new clutch assembly... see post 16 above (as well as all the other posts typing to home-in on the issue).

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Enabled, I believe he found the problem and purchased a new clutch assembly... see post 16 above (as well as all the other posts typing to home-in on the issue).
Yep, I had read about his findings, and made a joke about it.

Missing AC clutch would do it.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Got new clutch face put back on today, just used 1) spacer washer. Went ahead and put a new FCM on also. Cranked car and clutch engaged and cold air followed. Noticed that fans were pulsing "they would start and it was like they would lose power and then start again". So i put the old FCM back on and they run for say 20 -30 seconds and shut off and then will start again some time after and run 20-30 sec. With key on and AC on car not cranked they do not come on at all. any idea?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RUQWKNF27, when the fans stop running, is it both or just one?

If both fans quit at the same time, then it is quite obvious there's a circuit issue. If it is only one fan that quits and then the other, there's a strong possibility that the brushes are hanging. As they wear, the springs push them down against the armature. Road debris and dust can cause them to bind and hang-up.

RUQWKNF27

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI 5SP BEETLE
Yes both fans start and run and then both fans stop. When I put the new FCM in it was like they were pulsing on and off repeatedly. When I went back to the org . FCM they stay on longer. Of course this is with Car running AC on. With Switch on Car not running and ac on they do nothing .

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes both fans start and run and then both fans stop. When I put the new FCM in it was like they were pulsing on and off repeatedly. When I went back to the org . FCM they stay on longer. Of course this is with Car running AC on. With Switch on Car not running and ac on they do nothing .
Car on but not running, AC on, fans do not come on. And I don't even know, it's possible with car running, AC on, they might go off once a temperature threshold is met.