My 2000 TDI ran away and bent rods...can I use the transaxle out of it for a 1.8t?

FordManMT

TDI
2000 Jetta MK4 TDI
My 2000 ALH 5spd decided to run away at 65mph. Had hoped for just a failed head gasket, but upon cylinder head removal it was discovered that the engine hydrolocked and bent the rods.
Due to some recent medical issues between my wife and kid I can’t really afford to fix this issue.
But, a 2001 1.8T is for sale in my town with 160k, bad 5spd. The guy wants practically nothing for it and it runs well. Will my TDI 5spd work with the 1.8T?
I know they have different ratios but after looking the TDI trans has much better gearing. Deeper first and higher OD.
Thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It'll bolt up, it may feel pretty sluggish off the line and will require lots of downshifting to accelerate but it would work... HOWEVER... some of the 02Js bolted to AWPs and AWWs use a different inner CV flange, so you may also have to swap axles.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Tbh those trans are pretty cheap used and are reliable units. They are pretty much a dime a dozen, there are a few around me in the $100-$150 range. I'd swap the correct ratio in for that money and keep the drivability.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, anyone that has somehow tooefed an 02J transmission at only 160k miles probably has not done the rest of the car any favors, so... :p

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You can replace the rods by dropping the oil pan and pulling the pistons out. You are halfway there already.