High vibration from R5 TDI motor

AntonvBosch

TDI
Touareg R5 TDI
Hi all I have a 2005 R5 TDI Treg. (217 000Km):D

Had a failure on nr 5 cylinder with a crack in the block as well, also in the nr 5 chamber.:(

Engin has been reconditioned (sleeved etc..), all spares from VW agents.:eek:
5 New pistons, bearings etc.
New clutch kid.
No enginering work done on crank or camshaft, wear is still in spec.

Engin starts normal, but at idle it has a vibration coming from engin and one feels it trought the body, steering wheel etc.

When switching off engin, it stops immediately no irratic idling, just the vibration.

From the 5 injectors, 3 where replaced with new once, and coded etc.

What else can possibly cause the vibration:confused:

Last edited:

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
Probally not many here familar with an R5, you would be better served trying the club touareg form for that. good luck

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Hi all I have a 2005 R5 TDI Treg. (217 000Km):D

Had a failure on nr 5 cylinder with a crack in the block as well, also in the nr 5 chamber.:(

Engin has been reconditioned (sleeved etc..), all spares from VW agents.:eek:
5 New pistons, bearings etc.
New clutch kid.
No enginering work done on crank or camshaft, wear is still in spec.

Engin starts normal, but at idle it has a vibration coming from engin and one feels it trought the body, steering wheel etc.

When switching off engin, it stops immediately no irratic idling, just the vibration.

From the 5 injectors, 3 where replaced with new once, and coded etc.

What else can possibly cause the vibration:confused:
Sounds like a serious out of balance situation - somewhere. Someone put something back together wrong - backwards? I had NO idea that the laser fused cylinders could be resleeved at all! And the parts were VW branded parts? Hard to believe.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The R5 has a special dual-mass flywheel and also a torsional vibration damper integrated to the crankshaft. More likely though, it's a motor mount issue. The engine might have been reinstalled into the engine bay misaligned on the mounts.

AntonvBosch

TDI
Touareg R5 TDI
How can one determine if it not alligned on the mountings, and if the vibration damper is still good, for i had no problems with vibrations before the engin repair