B4 Wagon: How much trim to remove for rear shocks?

GregK

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, wagon, white
Greetings all!

<yes I did my due diligence and searched prior posts ;) >

I was wondering if those w/ the experience behind them could tell me how much of the cargo area trim needs to be removed to do the rears? Is there a particular order that works better than another? Yes, I saw the hint about marking the top piece (on the strut) prior to removal...

I am having them done tomorrow and, if possible, would like to do the trim remove myself prior to going to the shop.

Thanks all!

Greg

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
IIRC you take off the side fabric alongside the rear seats and you have to pull the side panels in the rear inluding the seat belts. (seat belts were always a problem for me...I think a flat blade screwdriver under the plastic piece to get get them to pop off)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
yeah, the rear end is a serious task...I farmed that work out and it took them quite a while.

Front is easy.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Be sure your new shocks have a long life expectancy. This is something you'll not want to repeat on an annual basis.
Start by removing the lower door sills to gain better access to the rear seat side pads. Remove almost everything from that point all the way back to the liftgate. IIRC, even the window trim at the rear quarters has to come out to remove panels blocking access to the top shock fasteners.